Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default ’37 Ford Window Regulator

The driver’s window on my ’37 fordor never worked very well since I bought the car about 4 years ago. It appears that someone tried to force the window open with a screwdriver or some other tool as the glass is chipped like they tried real hard.

The “bearings/guides” (look like cupped washers made of hard steel) on the two window channel roller studs that ride on the door glass channel and are badly damaged and need replacing. The related springs seem OK though. The vendors carry replacement studs which bolt on (the old ones appear to be pressed/peened on).

I got a pair of these new studs from Dennis Carpenter but am hoping that someone can help me find a pair of the “bearing/guides”.

All help and suggestions will be much appreciated as I’m anxious to get my only cold weather car going again soon.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047small.jpg (42.3 KB, 37 views)
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: ’37 Ford Window Regulator

Why not look for a complete NOS regulator, sedan ones usually do not cost that much
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Robert/Texas

I may be wrong but I think that the regulators come without the stud and it's associated parts (washer and spring). If you have a copy of the 1928-1938 Ford Hardware and Trimming Supplies book it shows a picture that looks like my regulator (except it's the passenger side). It's the second one down on page 89. A picture of a replacement stud is on page 75, third picture up on the right. I can't find the washer and spring in either picture or anywhere else in this book.

I did check with the Carpenter, C&G and Regulator Roy and none of them have the regulator for the driver's side front door.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I do appreciate all the help I can get.

Robert
Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
TJ

Why not buy a junk regulator and transfer those parts to yours. 35-39 regulators would have the same parts.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Robert/Texas

Thanks TJ, good idea. The C&G catalog shows the studs fit '34-39 passenger and '35-'39 pickup. I bought a pair of these from them. It seems strange that they don't have the parts I need too as I would think that anyone who needed these studs would need the other parts too. I only have their 2011 catalog so maybe I'm missing something.

I'll continue to try to find new ones or used in good condition.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
john worden

Straighten those little "top hat" cupped washers. Should work.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Robert/Texas

Thanks John. I thought about that too but would rather have new or better ones. After drilling/grinding out the old studs maybe I can reform the washers over a ball peen hammer or something.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
TJ

You might also check your local Ace Hardware as they may have "cup washers" that may work. They also have a big supply of various springs. In the Early V8 For Sale section on this site a guy has just listed a used regulator for $15. Looks like it has all the parts you need.

Last edited by TJ; 01-18-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add info
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Robert/Texas

Good idea TJ, thanks. I'm a little concerned as the thickness of the cup washers is tapered rather steeply. After I get the old ones off I'll try the hardware store to see if I can find one that will work.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Robert/Texas

More info/problem. The new studs I bought from C&G don’t fit into the door glass channel and neither do the old ones. Now I suspect that the glass channel has been riding on top of the stud hardware. The channel rails must have been squeezed together. That would explain why this hardware (domed washers and springs) is so beat up. It would also explain why the window would not go all the way down (stuck up about 3/8 inch). Also the rotating sleeves on the old studs are frozen.

I ordered a new glass channel from C&G. I think (hope) that the new studs do not require the washer and springs with the new channel.

Robert.

P.S. The weather was great yesterday in Burton, Texas, bright sunshine and low 70’s. The wife needed something from the hardware store so we took the ’34 roadster top down, 30 miles round trip.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
flat-v8

If you need a pair of '37 window regulators, I was told that is what these are, I'm not sure, look at the pictures, if you can use them you can have them! Actually I'm fairly close, about 45 min from Brenham.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1336.JPG (235.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1337.JPG (216.0 KB, 17 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #12
Robert/Texas

Many thanks, flat-v8. I'm waiting for the new window channel rails from C&G and hoping that this will solve the problem.

I really do appreciate your generous offer. As soon as I get the new part, if I still have a problem, I will get in touch with you by private email with my contact information. Even if these are not the correct regulators, I may be able to salvage the parts I need.

I still have a house in Houston and all of my doctors and dentist are there. Getting to Magnolia won't be a problem for me.

Robert