Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Robert Dip

Default ’32 bumpers. straight or slightly curved ?

I have an original ’32 5W, and the bumpers have a slight curve along its entire length. ( both front & back ) It’s the bumper with the large end knuckles….for ref. purposes and the car is a very early series. The left one in the photo is the original, and the others on the right are repops……perfectly straight. I checked the ’32 Ford book and could not find anything there to help me….however, there are photos that show the bumpers with a slight curve. On section 7-8, a photo with caption ‘early frame horn cover variation’ clearly shows a bow in the bumper, as it is viewed from the side. It seems to clear the spare tire in a logical fashion. Also, on section 4-35, a top view of the entire rolling chassis, it also clearly shows the curvature. On mine, yes, over the years, these bumpers got their fair share of whacks and bending, especially where the bolts are, but the center section has no noticeable waves that indicate the past repairs. There was a post to this question back in 2010, but no clear answers were indicated. In my opinion, the slight curve enhances the beauty of the bumpers….the straight ones look phony. Any help would be appreciated….Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001fgh.jpg (40.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 003fgh.jpg (89.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 004ghj.jpg (65.8 KB, 54 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: ’32 bumpers. straight or slightly curved ?

Both the large and small-knuckle versions of the original bumpers have a slight outward curve to them between the two bolt holes. The reproduction bumpers (which only come in the small knuckle form) usually are straight between the two bolt holes. I say usually, because the relatively soft material used for the reproduction bumpers sometimes takes on a slight curve when installed because of the superior strength of original bumper brackets.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Robert Dip

DavidG...I appreciate your comments, and was actually hoping that you would be doing so.
I have a belief not only in your statement, but the fact that it makes more scense that a spring steel designed bumper would have an arc to it. I will try to find a way to 'arc' the reproduction bumpers that I have since the straight bumpers just do not have an appeal...at least to my taste. Also, the originals will have to be re-plated and reshaped correctly to remove the years of misuse....or should I say...years of use. Question now lies in the details of the correct dimensions. What would be a close guesstimate of the arc distance from the mounting bolt positions to the center of the bumper....1", or 1.5" or ???? play it by ear to make it good? Robert

PS...Once you look at a curved bumper, the straight ones falls way short of being acceptable.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
DavidG

Robert,

I don't have handy a copy of the engineering drawing of the bumper for that dimension, but tomorrow I can measure a NOS bumper that I have for it.

David
Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Robert Dip

Thanks David.....it's hard living with the reproduction parts....when you know and have the real thing. Robert
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
DavidG

It bows outward 1/2" in the center between the bolt holes measured on the back of the bumper.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Robert Dip

Thanks David.....and I was surprised myself on the small distance, since it appears to be so much more. But wait, there is more to this. Being curious as the beautiful appearance of the arc, it does not only end at the bolt holes. I traced the bumper outline on the floor and compared it to the repop.....the arc continues past the bolt holes. I took a measurement from the end centers and again measured the difference between the orig. & repop.at the middle. The repop measured approx. 2", while the orig. measured approx. 3 1/2". The repop is straight to approx. 5" from the ends, and then abruptly curves. The originals begin a progressive curve at about 10" from the ends......and this progressive curve is what gives it a really great look...it's all in the design and appeal. Now we know....& thanks again. I'll have to throw this to Bob Drake.....not that it can make a difference, BUT, anyone making and selling these bumpers will definitely have an advantage. Thanks again. Robert
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
DavidG

Robert,

Bob Drake has never made the '32 reproduction bumpers that he sells. The all come from a company started by Paul Ezra in Indiana. I have no idea who owns that business today or what its current name is. They are/were the source for reproduction top irons and luggage racks as well.

I'm aware of the differences in the curvatures of the bumpers outboard of the bolt holes, but I do not believe that you'll be able to replicate the original overall curvature modifying a reproduction except between the bolt holes, hence my measurement.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Robert Dip

Yes, it is only normal that most reproduction part sellers use a common source. It would be interesting to track the manufacturer and have their opinion....but, if most do not care to have correct parts, it would be a waste of time. As to correct the repop to resemble the original shape, it would be near impossible to get rid of the sharp curve at the 5" mark to bring it back in line. I spent time in trying to find a decent photo showing the curvature and came up with this one ( Rodder's Journal # 38.....of a 3W that uses original parts.
Since this Forum is a good info source, I thought some might be interested in this photo of a 'true' bumper.
David, as usual, your input is appreciated.....now we know even more....Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001fgl.jpg (56.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Robert,

Bob Drake has never made the '32 reproduction bumpers that he sells. The all come from a company started by Paul Ezra in Indiana. I have no idea who owns that business today or what its current name is. They are/were the source for reproduction top irons and luggage racks as well.

I'm aware of the differences in the curvatures of the bumpers outboard of the bolt holes, but I do not believe that you'll be able to replicate the original overall curvature modifying a reproduction except between the bolt holes, hence my measurement.
Metal Fab Engineering. They are still owned and operated by the Ezra family (yes, great people!). I believe they are trying to sell primarily wholesale only.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Robert Dip

Thanks Karl,

I'll keep that info in my library, as I saw they have a website and do mention that they fab Ford parts. At one time, I will contact them......Thanks again.....Robert