Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
CHuDWah

Default Re: New guy! Many questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidGR View Post
Is it a rear bumper? I'm new to the world and honestly couldn't tell the difference, it also came with a luggage trunk too! I just need to find the hardware.

As for the fuse it has one there and its not blown.

Also my emergency brake is a little wobbly, it stops the car good, but should it be like that, can I tighten some nuts to make that less wobbly?

The front bumper is full-width but it will fit the rear brackets. Most passenger cars had a rear-mounted spare tire with bumperettes on either side. AFAIK, only the 1930 Deluxe Roadster (and maybe Deluxe Phaeton - not sure about it) had standard factory-installed full-width rear bumper. It also had a left fender spare and a luggage rack that replaced the rear spare (although some racks can be installed behind the rear spare like Y-Blockhead's). Those became optional in 1931. They could be dealer-installed, and maybe special factory-ordered, on any car. Whether a customer would have paid for a full width bumper when a rack was installed is another question. BTW, the support irons for factory-installed fender spares were riveted to the frame - dealer-installed were bolted.

As to battery chargers, I have an old Sears that does both 6v and 12v as well as trickle and jump start settings. Pretty slick - I assume they still make them.

Yes, pix are always good! Can't really tell a lot about a car's overall condition from them, but yours looks pretty nice. If it runs, drives and stops well, I'd say you got a good deal.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 08-08-2018 at 01:51 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Jwilli

Just make sure that the mechanics all work, then drive and enjoy.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #23
davidGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Welcome to the club David,

Here is what I see, You have a Standard fordor the someone has added cowl lights to or as an option originally. If you look at the window garnish just below the door pulls and above the handle you will see one spike. A town sedan will have two little spikes. Like Blockhead said if it has a rear seat fold down armrest and light above the rear window then it is a townsedan.

Also, sis you check the wood in the body? The whole car is wood and can be really expensive to replace.

I would honestly replace all of the wiring and make sure you have a good solid ground!

I would pull the brake drums off and see what you have going on in there. Do you have cast iron drums or the old steel ones? If the latter junk them and get new ones.

Mike

How does one know if he has the steel drums or the cast iron drums?
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
ryanheacox

IIRC the steel drums have a rolled edge where the drum meets the backing plate.

If it stops well and the brakes don't fade I'd be willing to bet you have cast iron drums already.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Off-topic, but it's interesting that Three Window Fordor counts only the windows on one side while Three Window Coupe counts both side windows and the rear window.
Haha, good observation. I think in the case of the Fordors it is used to differentiate between the sedan styles for example a Town Sedan has three windows and a Deluxe has two windows (everything else being the same).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #26
copgib

Congrats on your new car. She looks nice. Like others say, check everything out to be sure your safe when driving it. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #27
30 Mike

Looks like a great car, they may have put a front bumper on the rear because it looks like they removed the spare tire. I would clean battery terminals ck water in battery and try charging it. Good luck with your new old car!
30 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #28
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Haha, good observation. I think in the case of the Fordors it is used to differentiate between the sedan styles for example a Town Sedan has three windows and a Deluxe has two windows (everything else being the same).

Yeah, I guess Seven Window Fordor or One Window Coupe just wouldn't have the same ring to it.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #29
Y-Blockhead

Yeah, No... There is a 21 window and a 23 window VW Bus just to confuse us even more!!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #30
Brian SATX

Early Town sedans only had one spike under the windows,. Sometime in 1930 they changed to two.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #31
F.M.
BANNED

On most of the above posted answers to a new person trying to get his feet on the ground with a new Car to him are either no help or 1/2 right, or just wrong and with many missed things.. This just goes to show what happens when all or most of the so called purists left this site.. And I dont mean they would be looking for points, only solid, correct answers to the mans ??..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #32
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
On most of the above posted answers to a new person trying to get his feet on the ground with a new Car to him are either no help or 1/2 right, or just wrong and with many missed things.. This just goes to show what happens when all or most of the so called purists left this site.. And I dont mean they would be looking for points, only solid, correct answers to the mans ??..
Seriously???
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #33
1930artdeco

Brian, I think you are right about the 29's, which if it is early enough would explain the single point garnish. Either way he has a very nice car.

Mike
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #34
henry's 31

Very Nice Car. Welcome to the Model A Hobby!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #35
aford193031

Nice!! Welcome to the forum
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #36
Dick Carne

Hi David, and welcome! A couple of things: first, I think that you got an extremely good price for the car you show in your pictures - my frame of reference would suggest that you would still have been good even at $3-4K more than what you paid. Second, a number of folks will offer varying opinions, but if you are considering replacing the battery, I would suggest that you at least consider converting to a 12 volt system. There are pro's and con' to both six and twelve volt systems, but for a car that might be driven after dark, the 12-volt system will generally provide brighter lights. With respect to the rear bumper and trunk/trunk rack, I think that a trunk on sedans is a good investment, whether it is used for tools and spare parts, or personal effects while traveling. However, IF YOU DECIDE TO ADD A TRUNK, I would strongly advise that you consider extending the rear bumper beyond the trunk. By far the best extensions that I have seen (I have a set of these on two of my cars) are those offered by Snyder's, Mikes A-ford-able, and possibly Mac's (Part # A17777EX). These will extend the bumper out beyond the trunk rack when lowered by at least an inch. Finally, from the pictures of your interior, I would guess that you might have an early 1930 model, since the garnish moldings appear to have only a single point (I am of the understanding that beginning with the 1930 models, these were changed to a double point garnish molding). Regardless, you have a very nice car, and one that you should be able to enjoy for years to come. Good luck with all that you are doing with this old gentleman.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #37
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the barn! It looks like a 1930 Town Sedan. I don't think the dash panel is correct, I think they had round speedometers, but that is a small thing! About the shocks, you may want to put modern "tube type" shocks on it when you see what originals cost, there are kits for this. Other than that, use Rotella 15/40 which you can get at Tractor Supply change at a 1000 miles.n the engine. The Transmission, rear end, and steering box uses "Steam cylinder Oil" better known as 600w . It isn't 600 weight, it's about 280 Weight, it's just called 600W.
Good Luck with it!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #38
KGBnut

Based on what I can see, I think you got a pretty good deal.

As for shocks, I personally believe that they are a necessity. I drove mine for several months with no shocks and it would skitter across the road going around corners. I had to drive slowly and carefully.

Returning it to good functioning original style shocks can be quite expensive. I put in the tube kit made by Ken Davis and have been very happy. Yes, they are stiffer than the originals, but she really holds the road and the firmer shocks give it almost a "sporty" ride. Best of all, they are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.kendavismodela.com/Shocks.html

Beyond that, the best advice I can give you is to be slow to "upgrade" things. First get to know the car as it was originally built. Modern points, electronic ignition, hydraulic brakes, alternators, etc... These all have their place, but don't rush to fix something that isn't broken. Don't throw money at problems. I won't fault anyone that wants these upgrades, but get some experience with the original first to see if you really need it for your car and your driving style.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #39
Bill Cilker

You have a full width rear bumper which was supposed to be installed when a car had dual side mounts put on and a trunk rack was installed on the back. You have an interesting piece of metal where the rear tire mount is normally installed.

Also, your sedan was made in the 1st half of 1930. In June of 1930 Ford introduced the round faced speedometer. Your car has the oval speedometer.

Enjoy your new Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3623s.jpg (127.2 KB, 6 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Welcome to the barn! It looks like a 1930 Town Sedan. I don't think the dash panel is correct, I think they had round speedometers, but that is a small thing!
Terry
Terry, early 1930 had oval speedos, Ford changed to round speedos in August 1930.