Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
29As

Default Head Studs

Installing all new head studs.

Q. Should they be (somehow) torqued down into the block and how does one do this?
Q. Should I apply something onto the threads going into the block such as anti-seize, drop of oil, ??? (if anything)?

Thanks.
29As is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Head Studs

I put never seeze on the threads, screw them in the block and just snub the up a little with a pair of plyers, no need to torque them. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
spdway1

We just replaced stubs in a bloack a few weeks back, we used Les Andrews book, very easy to do and the end result looks factory perfect!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Ron/IA

In my opinion anti-seize won't hurt a thing, and can be very helpful in the future to prevent a stud from sticking and breaking off when trying to remove.

I do agree head studs do not need to be torqued into block; just finger tight to slight snugging with a pliers.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Jim Brierley

Anti-seize and finger tight. Run a bottoming tap into each hole first, and blow it out with compressed air. Leaving them slightly loose allows them to align themselves when putting the gasket and head on.
Jim Brierley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
insomniacshotrods

So i take it that the head studs do not go into any water jackets on the model a ? Sorry never seen one with the head off and couldnt find it in the search index. Only experience ive had with head studs have been with the sbc blower motor. I used the arp junk sealant and it leaked when i fired it up. So i had the pleasure of taking each one out, one at a time in torque sequence, putting permatex 2 on em, and running them back down . I was told to bottom them out then back them off just a little.
insomniacshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
James Rogers

The 2 studs for the water outlet and the 1 for the ignition should be run down till they stop, not torqued. The rest should be run in till there is 2 threads above 2.750". Oil, never-seize or, non permanent lock-tite, your choice.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
J and M Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniacshotrods View Post
So i take it that the head studs do not go into any water jackets on the model a ? Sorry never seen one with the head off and couldnt find it in the search index. Only experience ive had with head studs have been with the sbc blower motor. I used the arp junk sealant and it leaked when i fired it up. So i had the pleasure of taking each one out, one at a time in torque sequence, putting permatex 2 on em, and running them back down . I was told to bottom them out then back them off just a little.
The Model A stud holes are blind so no water. However after 75 plus years they do rot out. Occasionally we'll find one that is porous or someone has attempted to remove a broken thread and drilled through.

It doesn't hurt using number 2 Permatex or if it's drilled through and you can't repair it use number 1 .

The ARP studs you mentioned are supposed to be installed finger tight no more.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Raven

When I replaced my engine head gasket last year I removed all the old studs with a stud removal tool and then cleaned off the top of each piston and the engine deck itself. Then I chased the threads on each threaded hole several times until the tap showed no trash then installed each new stud with a dab of never seize on the treads...just snugged up the studs after they bottomed out...I had a stud break off a couple of years ago and ended up having to pull the engine so I'm determined not to go through that again...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

It may not be the head stud holes, but isn't there some place where the proper tap used at the factory is one with less clearance and the tap from Ace is too loose with NOS studs? I don't know if this applies to modern studs.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
It may not be the head stud holes, but isn't there some place where the proper tap used at the factory is one with less clearance and the tap from Ace is too loose with NOS studs? I don't know if this applies to modern studs.
Yes, taps come in difference tolerances. The most common sold are "loose" H-3.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Dave in MN

Mike V. Florida,
I have been searching for the undersize taps to chase threads in blocks. Do you know a source for them? One that would allow the purchase of a few at a time.

Thanks Mike!

Dave in MN
Dave in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
saladbar

I have in the past used gun cleaning brushes copper and wd40 works if not real bad
saladbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Mike V. Florida,
I have been searching for the undersize taps to chase threads in blocks. Do you know a source for them? One that would allow the purchase of a few at a time.

Thanks Mike!

Dave in MN
Hey Dave,
I just removed the 14 studs from my engine. I went to a flathead rebuilder machinist friend to discuss this very same topic (stud/thread). He gave me a tutorial and proper cleanout tool. I then asked him about efficacy/correctness of using an old way of doing same thread chasing job , i.e.- take a good used bolt (grade 8 is what I use) and cut four slots equally spaced on bolt ends up thru half inch of threads to clean and NOT damage block threads. He responded that that would do as good a job as his store bought special chaser....FYI
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
hazelhoff

Tightening the head studs using double nutting is pain in the ... Today I ended up with a better way.
Use a spare head stud. Screw it into a head nut halfway. Then screw this assembly on the stud you want to put in, using the remaining half of the nut. Use a wrench to gently screw the stud into its hole.
Next remove the assembly. Much more simple than dubble nutting
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
Ed in Maine

Don't forget that one of the head studs is slightly higher to accomodate the thickness of the ignition switch cable clamp (which was factory installed) if you plan on using one. Personally I don't want to mess with a head bolt when performing maintenance on the distributer. Your choice. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #17
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
Yes most retap with the wrong class thread, making the suds loose in the block.
better way is cut a slot in threads of a old stud use, that to clean the threads.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
Yes most retap with the wrong class thread, making the suds loose in the block.
better way is cut a slot in threads of a old stud use, that to clean the threads.
I've recently gone through the same thing after someone chased the threads in the diff (the ones for the bolts holding the trunpets on). They leaked so much, I could end up with an empty diff without moving the car!Many tapped holes have been ruined this way over the years and it is still happening. If tighter tolerance taps were available, maybe some would be saved. I've been usung the "grooves in an old stud" for 50 years. Sometimes, I even heat the stud to cherry red, quench it in oil, then cut the grooves.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've recently gone through the same thing after someone chased the threads in the diff (the ones for the bolts holding the trunpets on). They leaked so much, I could end up with an empty diff without moving the car!Many tapped holes have been ruined this way over the years and it is still happening. If tighter tolerance taps were available, maybe some would be saved. I've been usung the "grooves in an old stud" for 50 years. Sometimes, I even heat the stud to cherry red, quench it in oil, then cut the grooves.
Heating the stud to cherry red and quenching shrinks the metal ! I've done this when working sheet metal, nice trick Synchro, Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I put never seeze on the threads, screw them in the block and just snub the up a little with a pair of plyers, no need to torque them. Walt
that's what i did!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
Brendan

i even put the never seeze on the stud it self, so i could get the head off if i need too

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
Purdy Swoft

I put never sieze on the stud threads that enter the block threads and snug the studs up with pliers . I don't try torqueing the studs . I torque the head nuts to 55 foot lbs .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Heating the stud to cherry red and quenching shrinks the metal ! I've done this when working sheet metal, nice trick Synchro, Thanks for the tip!
The main reason I do it is to harden the stud so it works better for longer.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

Heating and quenching can work good for shrinking sheet metal body parts. Heating and quenching hardenes metal and can make metal brittle. Head studs are pretty easy to break even if not heated and quenched . No harm meant , I just hope that you don't have the bad luck of wringing off a hardened stud in the block .
Old 11-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Heating and quenching can work good for shrinking sheet metal body parts. Heating and quenching hardenes metal and can make metal brittle. Head studs are pretty easy to break even if not heated and quenched . No harm meant , I just hope that you don't have the bad luck of wringing off a hardened stud in the block .
Purdy, we seems to be talking at crossed purposes and no harm taken. I harden the studs when I cut grooves in them to use to clean out a thread. I have never even gone close to putting enough tension on the stud while cleaning out a hole to break it.
I do not harden them prior to using them to hold down the head.
You're right about how difficult it would be if I were to break one in the block but a little care prevents it.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #26
Purdy Swoft

Some how I must have been confused and looked over the part about using them to chase threads . I thought you planned to use them for head studs . I've had my share of wrung off head studs , over the years . Sorry for the mix up .
Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
Benson

Many times the head is very difficult to remove because the studs are rusted over their entire length because water had leaked into the area between the stud and head.

This problem can be prevented if antifreeze is used in cooling system.

This is just one of the ways that water in cooling system damages parts!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote