Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
29Phaeton

Question 31 Steering Box Oil Leak

Is there a simple fix for a steering box thats leaks it's gear oil out the bottom all over the light switch? I added gear oil per specs from my parts supplier but most of it leaked out. Is a total gearbox rebuild required? Some in my local club use grease just for this reason but I've read other posts saying not to do that.

Suggestions?
29Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: 31 Steering Box Oil Leak

Re-seal or purchase a Steering Column No-Leak tube. Vendors sell them. for 7 0r 2 tooth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube.jpg (37.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Gary WA; 11-14-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
700rpm

Try the no-leak tube that Gary suggests first. Cheap and easy and no matter what you should have one anyway.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
larrys40

As the guys said try the oil tube and use a little black RTV on the gasket. I also use a little on the two bolts threads. If I'm redoing a box I also use a little RTV on the round sector housing gasket. You have to be a little quick doing your adjustments but it can be done and definately helps reduce the seep from that joint.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
WHN

We use John Deere Cornhead grease. Works well, no leaking. Do not recommend using regular grease. Also use on u joint. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Robert/Texas

I replaced the felt seal at the end of the horn rod and it fixed the leak in my '28 roadster (7 tooth). The tube I bought from Snyder's wouldn't work as it was the wrong diameter.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
leo

This is an interesting topic because I had my steering box rebuilt and just in case installed the no leak tube but guess what, the box always seems to be greasy so my interpretation is that oil is coming out of someplace???
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

"Some in my local club use grease just for this reason..."

If they mean chassis grease, I strongly recommend that you seek future Model A repair advice elsewhere. Anyone who recommends using chassis grease in Model A steering boxes instead of a semi-fluid lubricant or a dedicated steering grease (such as Penrite) cannot be considered a wealth of Model A knowledge or experience. Poor advice is trump in our hobby. Pumping grease into our steering boxes is what pays for parts vendors' kids' college educations by selling new sector gears ($$$$$$$) and worm gears ($$$) to replace badly worn ones caused by lack of lubrication between the teeth. Even if the steering box is crammed chock full of chassis grease, after a few turns, the grease is squeezed out from between the sector gear teeth and the worm gear - and it doesn't magically work its way back in. It cannot coat and remain on surfaces like dedicated steering box lube, which is unbelievably slimy and clingy. How can a near solid material like chassis grease possibly work its way back to lubricate the moving parts, or even the bearings, especially the upper one? Ford put a zerk fitting for a time on top of the steering boxes, but it was never intended for chassis grease. Dealerships during the era had pressurized steering gear lube guns to force the proper lube inside. Because of misuse or misunderstandings in the real world, these zerk fittings were replaced at the factory by plugs so that chassis grease could no longer be pumped inside.
Follow the suggestions posted here so far, but also plan on replacing the sector bushings and then honing them. Otherwise, 600w or equivalent lube will work its way through the too wide clearance and leak out of the side, eventually ending up on your garage floor or driveway. (Yuch!) Lube such as 600w usually leaks out more between a worn sector shaft and its bushings than out of the bottom. Check the inside and outside of the frame where the steering box is mounted. It will most likely be all gooey from leakage past the sector gear shaft and bushings. Only one cure at this juncture: new bushings at the minimum, sized to encase the sector shaft to attain the proper clearance. If the sector gear teeth are gouged, you'll need to replace the sector, too, or you'll never be able to adjust out steering slop. And use a dedicated steering box lube! Penrite is admittedly expensive @ about $19.00 per bottle plus shipping, but it will not leak like 600w and will constantly coat and lube the moving parts. You could probably fill three or four Model A steering boxes with one bottle of Penrite, so the expense could be shared among club members. The right solution is never the cheapest one.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
glenn in camino

You need one of the tubes that goes in the steering box and keeps the oil above the level of the leak. Available at most model A parts supply stores. Also, check the gaskets and tightness of the bolts.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Anteek29

I have read some use STP in steering boxes.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

PennRite steering box lube...................NO leakee ! ! FWIW
Paul in CT

Available on-line.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
old31

I also use Pennrite. It is good stuff. Bought it online but don't remember where. Probably amazon.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote