Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Selection of Oil

I know, I know another OIL THREAD although I think slightly different.

I am presently using Rotello SAE 15W40 in my motor. I have been using it since day one after having the motor rebuilt changing it every 1000 miles AFTER the break in period. I have 9300 miles on the rebuilt motor now and have been thinking of changing to a Synthetic Oil of equal viscosity.

I was thinking using the Synthetic like 4 to 5 thousand miles.

1. Would this be way beyond the milage for oil in an A even though modern cars use it and have 10 thousand mile intervals?
2. Would it be TOO SLICK to run in the A?
3. Sure would help not having to crawl under the car so often.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
NCRebel

Default Re: Selection of Oil

I changed to synthetic oil in my motorcycles after reading the history of oil developments in pre 1940's Europe. However, the environment I live in has hot to mild temps year round, humidity and lower elevations. A thicker oil doesn't change viscosity here (I use a 30 weight).

Heat to cold (seasonal weather) conditions thin or thicken fluids, internal engine pressures change due to higher elevation and the fact that the engine of the Model A is one durable item, I think synthetic oil would be a good choice for many folks around the country. I would need more info on your specific area to make a better suggestion.

I'd like to hear other thoughts.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
canadian
BANNED

Hey Cape Codder , just curious, are you using a oil filter system on your engine?
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
steve s

I would like to hear an explanation of how an oil can be too slick. I mean an actual explanation, not just an impassioned restatement of the claim.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

To Cape Codder: Why??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
mhsprecher

I have been using Mobil 1 in both of my As. The PO of the TS had used it and I changed over to it in my roadster when I bought it. I have no empirical data, but everything has been fine with both. I will do some oil tests in the coming months.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I would like to hear an explanation of how an oil can be too slick. I mean an actual explanation, not just an impassioned restatement of the claim.
i tried looking up anything about this - nothing really showed up short of NOT using it to break in a newly honed engine. you want some friction to let the rings seat. Found some complaints from model T people using it and stp in thier wet gearboxes creating issues with band wear but nothing related to engine bearings. If anything you want the oil to get to the bearings and valvetrain asap.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Cape Codder

NCRebel - All i can say is that we can get quite a bit of snow and it does get cold although I have the car in a heated garage.
canadian - No,I don't.
steve s - I don't have any explanation except that I thought I read that Synthetic was slicker then standard oil. That's why I have posted here to learn.
1931 flamingo - Like I said, "Sure would help not having to crawl under the car so often".
mhsprecher - Thanks for your info, BUT I don't understand "The PO of the TS". Sorry, guess I'm a little slow.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
NCRebel - All i can say is that we can get quite a bit of snow and it does get cold although I have the car in a heated garage.
canadian - No,I don't.
steve s - I don't have any explanation except that I thought I read that Synthetic was slicker then standard oil. That's why I have posted here to learn.
1931 flamingo - Like I said, "Sure would help not having to crawl under the car so often".
mhsprecher - Thanks for your info, BUT I don't understand "The PO of the TS". Sorry, guess I'm a little slow.
preacher probably means Previous Owner of his Town Sedan

synthetic does flow easier than standard oil but slicker i dont know about - the oil gets contaminated from blowby - doesnt matter what type it is. Diesel oil has more additives to help suspend and collect blowby so dont think running synthetic will allow you to increase oil changes especially with no oil filtration system.

Modern cars get away with it as the benefit of modern engines running 0w-20 oil (yes zero w - twenty) is its so thin they can make tolerances and piston to cyl clearances and rings tighter tolerance so less blow by into the oil thus 7500 oil changes. I dunno what fords doing but gm has oil life meters that the car calculates your driving habbits/area/mileage and tells you the percentage of life remaining of the oil. so if its all steady highway miles under a light load yea 10K miles is not unheard of - if its all city stop and go cold starts it may only be 4500...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
Cape Codder

SeaSlugs - Thanks for the definition of PO & TS! Believe it or not I already have what I think is some minor blow by. Like I said I would like to extend the oil changes.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
Pete F

Ok I’ll give you my 2cents from an engine builder for the last 50 years.
After a Engine is broken in the synthetic oil is great however pushing the mileage on oil change intervals is not advisable.
In new cars with fuel injection the engines run so efficient the oil contamination is minimal ,
In our old school engines we contaminate the oil with the carbs we run and with old ignition.
In a carbureted engines the vacuum goes high on decel and the engines pull fuel that doesn’t get burned.
In new cars they just about close the injector on decel to save fuel and stop contamination.
So the bottom line is run the synthetic oil but do not try and go 5000 miles on a oil change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pete F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Cape Codder

PeteF - Thanks for your "2cents". A little off topic but would at least running an air filter help?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #13
slammin

I haven't change the oil in my new 29 Tudor yet. Larry the PO tells me the engine has less than 500 miles since rebuild with insert bearings. I have the receipt for an $1,877 rebuild in 1996. He used diesel oil in it. I was going use synthetic, but without a filter I have decided to use 10W40 dino, changing at 500 mile intervals. I feel that without a filter I don't want dirty oil in the crankcase for extended mileage.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #14
Pete F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
PeteF - Thanks for your "2cents". A little off topic but would at least running an air filter help?

I would run something for sure.
But that’s going to help the rings and valves from getting dirt in but not much for the crankcase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pete F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #15
Frank Miller

I ran my 49 with a partial flow filter 8100 miles coast to coast. Sent out a sample and the long story short, they said try 9000 next time. It showed little metals and fuel contamination. The additive number was fine. Now this was over the course of 26 days so there were few short trips. Total moving time was 166 hours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 49 FORD-170928 (1).pdf (17.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #16
NCRebel

Thanks for the reply Cap Codder. I should have realized from your name the climate you live in. I see you use a lighter weight than I use (or need).

I hope you are coming to a logical choice.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #17
CWPASADENA

Model A engines do not have a very good ventilation system and are prone to accumulating moisture, especially in the valve chamber area.

I feel it is very important to change the oil frequently just to get the moisture out of the engine.

I will change the oil every 1000 miles on my Vickey because it is just used mostly for short trips close to home.

I use my Tudor for touring and will change the oil at 2000 miles or more. This car is used primarily only for long trips where the engine is run at operating temperature for long periods of time.

Neither engine is equipped with an oil filter. I live in a warm climate. I use non-synthetic 10-40 in the Vickey and 20-50 in the Tudor.

This is my thinking but as you can already see, other have different opinions.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 11-09-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
tinkirk

10W30 Mobil one syn.
in everything i own
after seeing the difference in race motors i've built after a season of running hard, the inside of the motors where spotless compared to when conventional oil was used

jmo
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
nhusa

Too slick in a model T could cause a problem with the transmission but not in a Model A.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #20
glenn in camino

I use synthetic oil with an oil filter and a K&N air filter. The oil doesn't change color in 1000 miles, but I change it every 1000 miles anyway.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Cape Codder

glenn in camio - Have you ever considered to extend to say 1500 to see if it will change color. When / if your motor was rebuilt, how long has it been since the rebuild?
Thanks to CWPASADENA, tinkirk, nhusa for your comments.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #22
john charlton

Ford recommended oil changes at 500 miles to reflect the straight single grade mineral oil of the day . Any cheap modern multigrade oil of today is vastly better . My family have 5 model As on the road and are very frequently driven . I buy cheap and cheerfull supermarket 20/50 multigrade as long as it is API/SEC marked . All our engines are "midlife" so I think 20/50 is better than 10/40 . Oil is changed when the oil starts to become opaque on the dipstick normally around 2000/3000 miles .Occasionally a pan is pulled and valve chest opened and all is nice and clean no deposits on crankcase walls and no "silver paint" in the oil pan bottom.

John in sunny morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
V4F

I did a year of research on oil . turns out most do not have hddp ( for flat tappet cams) .
I only really found one . VR-1 Valvoline racing oil . good stuff ........
Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
Cape Codder

john charlton - Thanks for your response and insight. Must be a RARE Sunny day in Suffolk County!. Lived there for 5 1/2 years with minimal sun.
V4F - The Rotella I use has somein it but I also have been adding 4 oz. of ZDDP to the oil.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #25
john charlton

Yes Cape Codder we are a bit short of sunshine here thats why I normally spend 5 months a year in very sunny Chandler AZ .I am long range "Trailer Trash" !!!

John in sometimes sunny Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #26
glenn in camino

I use 10-40 or 20-50 synthetic and change it every 6 months.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #27
Ernie Vitucci

Les Andrews recommends 10-30 detergent in his book and a full lube job at all 31 or so fittings at the same time. The lube is just as important and the oil change. The other very popular oil is 15-40. Adding an oil filter and an air filter are very good ideas and both are available at all of the major Model A suppliers. The oil can be synthetic or mineral...all better than in the 1930's...Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Hold a match under a drop of oil on the dipstick. If it burns yellow, with a black soot trail, THAT'S GOOD!
If it crackles like a sparkler, there's some amount of WATER in it!
Bill Firebug