Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Samson

Default Boyce Motormeter- unusual

I am planing to install a Boyce MotorMeter in my A model. This not the radiator cap type; it mounts into a special stud, that has a temperature probe inserted, that replaces an engine stud. Does anyone have one installed? Is there a particular loction to mount this stud?
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: Boyce Motormeter- unusual

I have a couple of these meters that mount on the steering colum and uses those sending units that mount in the special stud. I have not run the stud mount as it seems to be such a removed location (in any of the stud locations) from the water being monitored and I felt it would be a delayed and inaccurate reading. One of my meters didn't work so I had Williamson's Instruments in Arkansas (www.williams.com) overhaul it for me and put on a standard sending unit I can mount in the gooseneck. Unfortunately the mounting unit and threaded cap are different so you can't mix the old and new. I did another alternative when I first found the motometer, the threads on the original sending unit are 1/2-20 so I drilled out a Model A lug stud to fit the sending unit and the cap screwed on, then I welded 4 head nuts to the lug stud and ground it all to a hex.Some years ago I had a friend make an adapter to mount the original sending unit in the gooseneck. Good luck
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Samson

Default Re: Boyce Motormeter- unusual

Thanks for your input, Ray.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote