Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
phartman

Default Antifreeze and winterizing

I've been running water treated with water wetter only in my '36LB. But we have cold weather here in Virginia. I need to switch to antifreeze. This winter will be my first with the pickup. A couple questions:

Which antifreeze? Does it matter? Any brand preference? I need to mix for protection down to 0 F or so. The truck sits outside, unheated.

Is draining out the water currently in the motor as simple as pulling off both lower hoses on the radiator and letting it drain? How about refilling with antifreeze? Just let it perculate through the radiator, start it up and fill? Any other drain/fill suggestions?

How about the oil? I'm running 20-50 weight. Too heavy? Something else for the winter weather?

Thanks fellas.

Pete
Richmond, VA
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
flathead4rd

Default Re: Antifreeze and winterizing

I use Sierra antifreeze here in Michigan. Sometimes 15 to 20 below. Use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Also change oil to a 10W-30 if you plan on starting it occasionally during the winter.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Vic Piano

I also use just water with a rust inhibitor in our Flatheads here in Tampa, Florida however, I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up to Dawsonville, Georgia for the Moonshine Festival in late October and it can get cold at night up in the Mountains so, last week I drained the radiator (had to remove the petcock as it was stripped and would not open). I used a 50/50 blend of antifreeze with water and tested it, good to 10 degrees F. that should be ok for three days in the cooler climate. does your truck have a petcock in the radiator or in the block? If so, you should not have to remove the lower radiator hoses to drain the system.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Joe KCMO

For what it is worth,

I just bought a carburetor from someone who drained the radiator but did not drain the block using the block drains. You know what happened, the block split the length of the oil pan on the one side. Better to be safe than sorry.

I have used water wetter and antifreeze and survived a -0 temperature in missouri. Youre choice, antifreeze or drain everything.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
phartman

The radiator does have a petcock. My buddy tells me that the capacity of the block, radiator, heater, etc is 5 gals. His suggestion was to drain 2.5 gals of water out of the system. Add 2.5 gals of concentrated antifreeze back into the radiator. Turn on the motor, circulate and let everybody get all acquainted with each other, and test the mix. Sounds like a plan.

I do plan on running the truck this winter. The 10-30 wt. oil sounds like a good idea, but I think I'll put that off for another month. We don't get really cold (normally) until Thanksgiving or so.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
richard crow

do it right drain the system get a can of rad flush or fill with vinagar . drive car a day or two. drain flush with water . drain water & fill with the 5 year anti freez 50/50 remember the proulbem to flathead cooling system is dirt & rust. cleaned & 5 year anti freez will be good for 5 years winther & summer j.m.o
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I also use just water with a rust inhibitor in our Flatheads here in Tampa, Florida however, I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up to Dawsonville, Georgia for the Moonshine Festival in late October and it can get cold at night up in the Mountains so, last week I drained the radiator (had to remove the petcock as it was stripped and would not open). I used a 50/50 blend of antifreeze with water and tested it, good to 10 degrees F. that should be ok for three days in the cooler climate. does your truck have a petcock in the radiator or in the block? If so, you should not have to remove the lower radiator hoses to drain the system.
A 50/50 blend of antifreeze should give protection down to about -34F, way below +10. Did you by chance 50/50 mix water with pre-blended 50/50 anti-freeze?
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

I've heard that the new anti freeze will eat copper head gaskets and damage some radiators. I was told to use the old green anti freeze. There was a thread on the HAMB side talking about this.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
A 50/50 blend of antifreeze should give protection down to about -34F, way below +10. Did you by chance 50/50 mix water with pre-blended 50/50 anti-freeze?
I should have been more exact in my description. I used one gallon of 50/50 mix and water to fill the system. Also, the test tool I used has been in my tool box for 35 + years... Maybe I need a new tester.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I should have been more exact in my description. I used one gallon of 50/50 mix and water to fill the system. Also, the test tool I used has been in my tool box for 35 + years... Maybe I need a new tester.
That "splains" it Vic, considering the total system probably holds over 5 gallons.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by done4 View Post
I've heard that the new anti freeze will eat copper head gaskets and damage some radiators. I was told to use the old green anti freeze. There was a thread on the HAMB side talking about this.
Here you go. Interesting reading:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=anti+freeze
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Roger W Gerow

For what it's worth. Within the last 2 weeks I was discussing anti-freeze with a diesel mechanic. He instructed me to use any brand of anti-freeze that was "red" in color. Brand was not important, just the color.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger W Gerow View Post
For what it's worth. Within the last 2 weeks I was discussing anti-freeze with a diesel mechanic. He instructed me to use any brand of anti-freeze that was "red" in color. Brand was not important, just the color.
Dang it, I thought we was supposed to use the old stuff, whatever was "green."

Sheesh.

I want to go back to a world where we use dial phones, most cars have three pedals, and a joint is known only as a bad place to be after dark....
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
phartman

Good reference article on more than you ever wanted to know about cooling and antifreeze mixes.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_146.html