Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
phartman

Default 1931 Coupe and Roadster...Identifying a Deluxe Vs. Standard Model?

Can you help me here? How would I identify the differences? Any good websites with reference charts, for instance? Thanks.

Pete

Last edited by phartman; 07-14-2011 at 04:30 PM.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Steve Ciccalone

Default Re: 1931 Coupe and Roadster...Identifying a Deluxe Vs. Standard Model?

Buy a Judging Standards Manual from either National Club. It's self-explanatory. Your avatar appears to be a '32-34 pick-up. Probably '34 by the emblem on the hood panel. I have a '33-34 EFV8 Retoration Guide and I know it explains all the differences.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Brian SATX

Basic differences in the roadsters are that the standard has painted stantions and they are taller than the deluxe. Paint colors and trim were different too but that can all be changed easily. For the coupes, deluxe had cowl lights and woodgrain around the windows and dash. The deluxe also had a dome light. There are other differences also, like the inside door handles. How much detail do you need? As stated, if you are doing a restoration or really need in depth detail,check out the JS.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Ted in MN

'30 & '31 DeLuxe coupes had seven features not on Standards.
1. Cowl lights
2. Dome light
3. Wood grain garnish & dash rail
4. Pinstripe on gas tank
5. Carpet floor mat
6. Mohair or bedford upholstery
7. Scroll inside door and window hardware
Ted in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
phartman

That's exactly the type of detail that I need. A friend (who is not a Ford guy) is serving as executor on an estate. He has asked me to join him Saturday morning and help him come up with an asking price on two '31 coupes and a '31 Roadster. One of the coupes is not running. The other coupe and the roadster were regularly driven on the road. While I have some passing knowledge of Model As, I want to know what I am looking at.

The widow has no sentimental attachment to the cars and parts and wants them sold promptly. We'll try and come up with very reasonable asking prices. Very likely put them in the classifieds here on Fordbarn and Jalopy Journal as well as advertise through the local Model A club.

But, again, I need to know what to look for. Any guidance you might provide is much appreciated.

It's weird. I looked at these very cars a year ago, almost exactly to the day. The owner was stubborn about his price and had a very proud impression of his cars. We weren't even close in our two opinions about price. I walked away, a little ticked off. Subsequently, I discovered the '34 pickup on a trip to look at another Model A, and bought the truck instead. I told myself I didn't really want a Model A anyhow.

And now almost exactly a year later I'm right back in the same garage, dealing with the same cars, but this time helping his widow achieve what he didn't: sell the cars, raise some cash, add to the nest egg.

I wouldn't have guessed this turn of events in a million years.

Ain't it a crazy mixed up nutty (and wonderful) life? Just when you think you know where the ball will bounce....

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited by phartman; 07-14-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I guess easiest way to tell on the roadster is the windshield.. Std is 15", DLX is 13" ..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
phartman

Went and looked at all three this morning. None of the three were Deluxe models. However, the executor of the estate is interested in moving them very quickly and they will be priced accordingly. If you have any interest in a very nice driver coupe with overdrive; and either a builder coupe or roadster, both complete but with issues (nothing too major however), PM me and I'll forward details.

As soon as the executor is ready to advertise I'll post them in the classifieds. But in the meanwhile, if you just can't wait and are located near Richmond, VA, I don't mind sharing a few details.

Pete
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Jimemitchellsr

I am looking for a roadster. Would you send me some more information and price if she has arrived at one yet? Thanks.
Jim
[email protected]
Jim Mitchell
354 Shiloh Lane
Talladega, Alabama 35160
205) 451-0401
205) 903-2020
Jimemitchellsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
joltesvig

Ted, I have your 1,4, 6 & 7 on my 31 Coupe so I guess it is an upgraded standard? If Deluxe has Bedord or Mohair (mine has mohair), what was the original std. coupe fabric?
joltesvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Keeper79

Wish I had the time and coin for another project. I work in richmond and live not far from it.
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
31Tudor

John, Grey check seats, gray cloth panels until June of 1931 then small brown check after
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
phartman

OK, here are the details on the sale of the three '31 Model As here in Richmond.

Doug Walker of Joe Smith Early Ford negotiated a private sale of all three. He had Edwards Towing meet us at the garage where they were stored at 9am two Saturdays ago.
As Daryl Edwards delivered them to Doug's shop just north of Richmond, a private buyer snatched up the really nice driver coupe and the rough roadster. The story is his wife told him, "I want a roadster" and that was that. It's gonna need work, but the coupe is fantastic and drivable now.

As of this past Friday morning, the rougher of the two '31 coupes was still for sale. Not running, but all there and certainly a very nice start to a project.

If you are interested, please call Doug at 804 264-1953.

And there was another sale near Fredericksburg, VA yesterday. My buddy tells me a solid Model A RPU fetched $9600.

I would have thought that in this economy (and with what the stock market did this past week) that the old car market would be dead as a hammer. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you have a nice car, it's gone gone gone it would seem.

Puzzling to me, but what do I know?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

[QUOTE=phartman;239120]The widow has no sentimental attachment to the cars and parts and wants them sold promptly. We'll try and come up with very reasonable asking prices. Very likely put them in the classifieds here on Fordbarn and Jalopy Journal as well as advertise through the local Model A club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A good friend of mine passed away and his widow wanted the cars sold promptly. And they were. I had been asked by my friend before he died to sell the cars and give the money to his widow and had expected to do so. She grabbed the bull by the horns and sold a '32 3 window, a '32 Victoria and a garage full of parts for $11K. I had expected to get at least $70 K for the cars and parts. Caution her that it takes time to sell the cars and if they must be sold promptly a lot of people won't even want to get involved helping her (unless they are buying).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
phartman

Here a pic of the '31 Coupe still for sale. If you have an interest, call Doug at Joe Smith Early Ford here in Richmond.

http://www.joesmithearlyford.com/

And here's a shot of the three. The two on the left are already sold.

The roadster was non-running and like a beautiful, sexy woman, had "issues." The Coupe in the middle was road ready. They went to the same buyer, a local Model A enthusiast.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
phartman

Swung by Doug's shop today. He is asking $6,000 for the '31 Coupe. Very attractive price.

http://www.joesmithearlyford.com/contact-us/
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #16
mjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
That's exactly the type of detail that I need. A friend (who is not a Ford guy) is serving as executor on an estate. He has asked me to join him Saturday morning and help him come up with an asking price on two '31 coupes and a '31 Roadster. One of the coupes is not running. The other coupe and the roadster were regularly driven on the road. While I have some passing knowledge of Model As, I want to know what I am looking at.

The widow has no sentimental attachment to the cars and parts and wants them sold promptly. We'll try and come up with very reasonable asking prices. Very likely put them in the classifieds here on Fordbarn and Jalopy Journal as well as advertise through the local Model A club.

But, again, I need to know what to look for. Any guidance you might provide is much appreciated.

It's weird. I looked at these very cars a year ago, almost exactly to the day. The owner was stubborn about his price and had a very proud impression of his cars. We weren't even close in our two opinions about price. I walked away, a little ticked off. Subsequently, I discovered the '34 pickup on a trip to look at another Model A, and bought the truck instead. I told myself I didn't really want a Model A anyhow.

And now almost exactly a year later I'm right back in the same garage, dealing with the same cars, but this time helping his widow achieve what he didn't: sell the cars, raise some cash, add to the nest egg.

I wouldn't have guessed this turn of events in a million years.

Ain't it a crazy mixed up nutty (and wonderful) life? Just when you think you know where the ball will bounce....

Thanks again, guys.

Similar story to how I got my roadster, a year later I am still helping her clean out all the A stuff. Still have a huckster body and six motors to go.
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote