Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
marko39

Default 39 transmission leak

After finally getting engine and tranny installed I found tranny leak in back where pin goes through the two shafts. It is leaking on the right side of pin which is loose, i can move it left to right. It doesnt seem this pin would wear but why would it leak and would a new pin stop it? It looks like I could push out the old pin with a new one as I really dont want to take everything apart again. I may try to seal pin with permatex but don't think it will work. I know others have had the same problem and has anyone been able to fix this leak with tranny in car?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
uncle buck

Default Re: 39 transmission leak

Are you sure that is where the leak is? I was looking at trans parts the other night and noticed Michael at Next Gen Auto is offering a sealed rear bearing for the rear output to help eliminate leaks. It sounds like you are probably right about the shaft leaking but seeing that bearing offered made me wonder if it was dripping downward toward the shaft
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
40cpe

I think you will find that the leak is between the housing and shafts that hold the cluster gear and the reverse idler. It is very common for them to leak there. Some have cut a groove in the shafts for o-rings where they seat in the housing.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I think you will find that the leak is between the housing and shafts that hold the cluster gear and the reverse idler. It is very common for them to leak there. Some have cut a groove in the shafts for o-rings where they seat in the housing.
The leak is deffently coming the pin, I have car on lift and been watching it for a week. I rebuilt this tranny a few years ago and did seal the ends of the shafts with rtv and they are not leaking. I wish I paid attention to that pin at that time.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

remove the pin, clean it and the hole thru the trans with brake cleaner, coat the pin/hole with non hardening Permatex #2 I think and then put the pin back in. I did this with my 41 truck and it seems to work. The leak really is the shafts coming thru the case but this worked for me
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
The leak is deffently coming the pin, I have car on lift and been watching it for a week. I rebuilt this tranny a few years ago and did seal the ends of the shafts with rtv and they are not leaking. I wish I paid attention to that pin at that time.
The oil is leaking past the shafts inward of the pin hole and running down/out on the pin.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote