Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
old31

Default Looking to buy Tacoma Cream powder coat paint for my painter, need help.

Has anyone done business with this company? If yes, how was it?

www.modelawheelcolors.com

Are there any other places to purchase powder coat paint from?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Looking to buy Tacoma Cream powder coat paint for my painter, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post

Search feature here is your friend. It has been awhile since I have done business with them, so maybe they have changed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
old31

Default Re: Looking to buy Tacoma Cream powder coat paint for my painter, need help.

I forgot to mention that the phone for www.modelawheelcolors.com I could not leave a message because the system was full.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the phone for www.modelawheelcolors.com I could not leave a message because the system was full.

Again, do a search here.

Also, Tiger Drylac RAL1001 will probably be close enough for what you are seeking.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Chris Haynes

I got my powder from Model A Wheel Colors without any problems. I didn't call, I simply ordered on line.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
old31

Still can't reach modelawheelcolors, and after 3 days, the email I sent them from there own web site they never answered me back. Screw them.

As Brent suggested I called Tiger. I spoke with the local rep he said he didnt have a color that would match but he was nice enough to tell me to call powderbuythepound.com

These guys were GREAT with a great site. They picked up on 1 ring, and helped me out immediately. They told me they had what I needed. The best thing is for $1 per chip they will send you painted samples. I ordered 10 yellow samples and I will compare them when they come in.

For those of you looking for powder, I would highly recommend you look at this site.

Good pricing also.

I will keep you posted.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Still can't reach modelawheelcolors, and after 3 days, the email I sent them from there own web site they never answered me back. Screw them.

As Brent suggested I called Tiger. I spoke with the local rep he said he didnt have a color that would match but he was nice enough to tell me to call powderbuythepound.com

These guys were GREAT with a great site. They picked up on 1 ring, and helped me out immediately. They told me they had what I needed. The best thing is for $1 per chip they will send you painted samples. I ordered 10 yellow samples and I will compare them when they come in.

For those of you looking for powder, I would highly recommend you look at this site.

Good pricing also.

I will keep you posted.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said you spoke with the Tiger Drylac rep and he did not have the color. I agree with that comment if he is saying he does not have the Tacoma Crème Ford color in a powder as that color must be blended to match the Paint & Refinish Guide color chip. He does however have the RAL1001 -which is a color that is close enough to a match for most people's eyes. He can sell directly to your powder painter shop, and he can sell it in 5# quantities which will/should be enough to coat all 5 of your wheels.

I don't know if your powdercoater has discussed this with you, but buying powder is much like buying liquid paint with regard to quality, purity, and longevity from UV holdout. You can buy red PPG urethane paint for $600 a gallon from the PPG paint store, ...and you can buy red urethane paint from Tractor Supply for $60 a gallon. What do you suppose is the difference? Also, I know Tiger sells in as little as 5 pound quantities and I also have used their RAL series of powder so I know the quality is there and it is fresh.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

On the Barn swap page there's a poster selling what you're looking for.
Paul in CT PM sent
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Dick Carne

I recently tried to order both Hessian Blue and Tacoma Cream from them. My initial phone call to them was probably a month or so ago - nice lady on the other end (I initially left a message for a return call, but the next morning I timed my phone call to coincide with their "opening time", and was able to talk with someone). But after a couple of weeks and nothing showing up against my account and no powder, I started calling . . . for about three weeks. I placed the last call last Wednesday, but the message machine was full. However on Thursday, I received a call back from the lady with whom I had initially spoken, and she related that she had been out for several weeks with migraine headaches, but would be putting my order in the mail that afternoon. I still haven't seen anything hit my account yet, nor have I received anything in the mail, so we'll see. I would like to give her/them the benefit of the doubt, but . . . . I'm not aware of anyone else who carries powder that is anything close to the original colors, so I'm not sure how to advise you from here. Good luck to you regardless.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
old31

Follow up:

Powderbuythepound.com did an awesome job in matching my Tacoma Creme wheels. I had them painted and could not be happier.

I would recommend them any day.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

What is their code # for what they supplied? Is it a match to the Model-A paint book, -or just a color you are happy with??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #12
old31

Their code is x-1399 Martenson Maize Yellow.

I don't know if it is a match to the paint book, all I really cared about is that it match what I had. I do have a feeling that it will be a perfect match to the book.

My follow up was more to tell people that this company really worked with me, they were great on the phone, always answered the phone, and the prices were fair. $337.50 for 10 lbs.

I am comparing them to modelawheelcolors and all the excuses and time I wasted with them.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Their code is x-1399 Martenson Maize Yellow.

I don't know if it is a match to the paint book, all I really cared about is that it match what I had. I do have a feeling that it will be a perfect match to the book.

My follow up was more to tell people that this company really worked with me, they were great on the phone, always answered the phone, and the prices were fair. $337.50 for 10 lbs.

I am comparing them to modelawheelcolors and all the excuses and time I wasted with them.

Been there on that one!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
swo4rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent in 10-uh-c View Post
been there on that one!!

let me add to this chorus...they have not changed and in fact, i cannot figure why they waste the money on a website if they do not deliver.
Ds
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #15
mdsbob

[QUOTE=old31;1784875]Has anyone done business with this company? If yes, how was it?

Ordered on line 3/22/21 and showed up in my mailbox on 3/29/21.
mdsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

[QUOTE=mdsbob;2001687]
Quote:

Ordered on line 3/22/21 and showed up in my mailbox on 3/29/21.
Well that is awesome. Happy for you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #17
Jim Baskin III Pa.

As far as Model A Wheels goes.This my help in your decision.

under new management

11-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Hello, my name is Jessica Garman and i am the new management at modelawheelcolors.com. I have worked at the parent company for a month now, and 2 weeks ago i was handed a stack of papers with accounts and passwords, and was told here this is your task. when i accepted the stack of papers i had no idea the sh!t show I was stepping into. I was and am still shocked at the carelessness of how this was for lack of a better word ran. From everything I can gather the previous management just quit managing the account one day. No there is no excuse for this and yes the owner is just as much at fault. In his defense as he is a working owner in the parent company his day to day tasks do not often give him time to take a lunch let alone check e mail, the people he left in charge of those tasks let him down as well, more often than not just saying times were slow when he asked about the lack of orders shipped. As the one in charge has been with him for 10 years he took her at her word. Does this absolve him? No. With all that being said I am here and I have been putting in the hours sending personal apology letters to all the customers i have access to, I have made a few changes to the website, I am doing everything I can think of to rectify the past and move into the future. My hope is you all will be willing to give us one more chance to help aide you in your restorations. My email is [email protected], or [email protected] if you have any questions or if there is anything i can do to assist you please let me know. thank you for your time and consideration.... Jessica
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #18
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

I purchased from Model A wheel Color twice. Excellent service both times.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Baskin III Pa. View Post
As far as Model A Wheels goes.This my help in your decision.

under new management

11-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Hello, my name is Jessica Garman and i am the new management at modelawheelcolors.com. I have worked at the parent company for a month now, and 2 weeks ago i was handed a stack of papers with accounts and passwords, and was told here this is your task. when i accepted the stack of papers i had no idea the sh!t show I was stepping into. I was and am still shocked at the carelessness of how this was for lack of a better word ran. From everything I can gather the previous management just quit managing the account one day. No there is no excuse for this and yes the owner is just as much at fault. In his defense as he is a working owner in the parent company his day to day tasks do not often give him time to take a lunch let alone check e mail, the people he left in charge of those tasks let him down as well, more often than not just saying times were slow when he asked about the lack of orders shipped. As the one in charge has been with him for 10 years he took her at her word. Does this absolve him? No. With all that being said I am here and I have been putting in the hours sending personal apology letters to all the customers i have access to, I have made a few changes to the website, I am doing everything I can think of to rectify the past and move into the future. My hope is you all will be willing to give us one more chance to help aide you in your restorations. My email is [email protected], or [email protected] if you have any questions or if there is anything i can do to assist you please let me know. thank you for your time and consideration.... Jessica

Well that is indeed great news. Definitely shows there was a problem, .and now they are back on track.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #20
Cpuckett

Quote:

Powder by the Pound is the way to go, they have/know the color and amount you need!
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote