Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Dave O

Default Stop Light Location

Where can I find dimensional data on the location of the stop light bracket on the rear fenders (I'm putting stop lights on both fenders)? I didn't have enough sense to measure the bolt holes on the old fender before I sold it! Assumed he new left fender would have holes already in it. Wrong! I did a search on this forum but didn't find anything.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
joel rapose

Default Re: Stop Light Location

You might want to rethink that.... I really like only having one tail light....I put a LED bulb in mine and the CHP stopped me as my tail light was too bright... plus only having one makes people more aware of it...as it is different.... sorta like once I put a sidecar on my motorcycle people stopped pulling out in front of me
Plus every one else has 2 and I like 1 just to be different....like most folks that have roadsters have Dlx. roadsters....I prefer the Std. roadster..
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
katy

How about contacting the person you sold the fender to?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel rapose View Post
You might want to rethink that.... I really like only having one tail light....I put a LED bulb in mine and the CHP stopped me as my tail light was too bright... plus only having one makes people more aware of it...as it is different.... sorta like once I put a sidecar on my motorcycle people stopped pulling out in front of me
Plus every one else has 2 and I like 1 just to be different....like most folks that have roadsters have Dlx. roadsters....I prefer the Std. roadster..
I use my second light as a turn signal plus I like the added light in the back.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Dave,

1. If you prefer to have your new Model A tail light(s) "appearing" as though they are original, the exact locations of your new bolt holes will not be noticed.

2. In many cases, shapes & angles of stop light brackets and rear fenders will vary slightly from that of "new" when compared to "original" ...... hence light fixture height may vary.

3. Best to obtain exact dimensions from the ground to the center of tail light(s) from someone who has a Model A similar to your particular year and model of Model A and use these "tail light above ground" dimensions to determine noticeable tail light heights with corresponding new rear fender locations for your new bolt holes.

4. If after installation, your tail lights are 4" too high, or 4" too low from standard, "everybody" focuses on the tail lights whether tail lights are turned "on" or "off" ....... but, who ever measures exactly where the bolt holes are located.

Hope this helps anybody in the future drilling holes and mounting tail light bolts on Model A rear fenders ...... & more importantly ............ always staying focused.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
RawhideKid
BANNED

If this were my car, and after noticing that a LOT of tail lights are pointing uP, I would assemble the light to the bracket and with a level, plumb the assembly on the fenders to center them on the fender, and bubble them to the vertical, mark holes and repeat for the other side.

This isn't really as brain surgery as you are thinking it should be unless you are building a "Fine Point" restoration, and even then, I doubt a judge carries a tape measure for exact dimensions of tail light mounting.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
daveymc29

So if you have one tail light already, on a fender, isn't it possible to park on a flat surface such as a garage floor and get a measurement to the top of the existing tail light? Now with a helper, place the other tail light on the opposite fender and mark its mounting points when the top of that light is the same distance from the ground as the existing light. Or am I missing the point of your query? So as not to mar a fender you could cover the area to be worked on with some lightly sticky masking tape. There are several available from paint supply houses and hardware stores. One of the white tapes just barely sticks at all so there is no chance of it pulling paint loose during removal. If there is are no existing holes on either fender, measure another persons car. They appear to all be mounted about the same height. (The left ones anyway.)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Gunmetal blue2

Take the one on the right side, take a piece of paper line it up with something on fender that you can use as a location point. Then draw your holes in fender for light. Then reverse the piece of paper for the opposite fender. (when I say reverse I mean to flip it over). Draw holes position and that should match the other side. my 2 cents.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
figment

Some of the right side tail lamp brackets do not have the correct stamping. Be sure to locate and install the left side first then line up the right side to see if it matches the look of the left one.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Often time one sees in other similar, single taillight installation attempts, one existing original tail light & one newly installed.

Same exact bolt hole locations were provided ...... but, one tail light is high and the other is low.

Quick Model A touring fix for those who are concerned only with level tail lights:

Switch heavy drivers seat selection with light passenger seat selection or vice versa to make tail lights level.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Dave O

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Guess I am being a little too anal over this.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
bettlesr

I bought a repo left and right bracket at the same time and then put them both on. They were not the same as the original left side, but they matched each other.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Guess I am being a little too anal over this.
Hey Dave,
'for safety safe', I put the second tail light on my '30 roadster. SAFETY first, eh !

I did not have a 'template' and you can not tell a difference in location of both lights. My car sits level , that is most important ! After level, measure mounted light from floor to bottom of fender. Level means that these distances will be equal. I then measured up from bottom of fender to bottom of installed light stand. Then measured from side of fender to side of installed light where mounted. Use all these measurements fo mark holes thru new stand to fender. Drill accordingly. Good luck

BTW...there IS a left and right hand stand !

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-09-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: ......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Synchro909

I had a similar issue a while back. I covered the back of the mounting bracket with masking tape so as to not scratch the paint. I left the holes clear. Then, I asked my wife to hold the bracket with light attached in place. With a little "up bit" - "a touch to the left" etc, we got it looking right, marked the holes and drilled. I then took measurements and marked the other side. We checked it was OK with the other bracket and light before I drilled the holes. They came out well enough that no body has commented and I don't notice any misalignment either.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Most RE-PRO brackets are L/H & must be notched & re-welded, to get the correct "angle of the dangle"---
HOWEVER you mount it, some JACKASS will say, "It's CROOKEDY"!!!---I jist "write off" those folks.
Someone asked me, "Did someone step on your tail light while gettin' in your rumble"???--------"I DON'T have a RUMBLE, IDIOT"!!!
Bill W.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
Ray in La Mesa

After going through the motions of mounting in the previous posts, before drilling any holes,mount the taillights to the fender with duct tape to see where "your eye" likes them best. Look at other A's for reference. The actual mounting point will vary from car to car & fender to fender. It's amazing how precise the "eye" can be!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
TerryH

Unless you have a "show quality" Model A, I cannot understand why you would want to have only one tail light, if for no other reason than safety......
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

Bill's #15 reminds me of 59 years ago, as a teenager, my pulling in to a rural combination Bar/Gas Station to buy my first tank of gas for my $25.00 Model A.

A few respectable rural Bar Clients came out of the bar to see my newly acquired Model A.

After fill up I got in my Model A to drive off where our most honorable Senior Town-Clown came out of the bar, approached me, and asked,

"Did anybody get hurt in that wreck?" I asked which wreck?

He says, "The one you are driving."
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
mike657894

get a set of left/right posts http://www.speedwaymotors.com/?gclid...FZhXDQodW5ECFQ

then find level and plumb and transfer measurements. I measured mine form the bottom of fender and the side where the fender meets the body.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
mike657894

hard to remember now but i think it was 2in spaced from the car and slightly above the body to rear valence(?) seam.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote