Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Solid State Voltage Regulator

Isnt there someone who produces solid state voltage regulators ? I need the small square style like was used on the 39 Deluxe and early 40 Fords for my 39 Zephyr. Looks like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.9 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 04-02-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Solid State Voltage Regulator

sent you a PM
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
KGS

Old thread but there seems to be a need for a solid state VR.

Had a discussion at the cruise night yesterday with a guy that
has gone through two "chinese built, not to be confused with
good old American built", voltage regulators. So the question;
is anyone making solid state components that can be installed
in an original VR case like Ken/Alabama is looking for in this post?
This would be specific for 6 volt positive ground applications for

our Fords.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
tubman

My partner and I are making several 6 volt positive ground devices. So far, we have made a "black box" that allows you to run any 12 volt negative ground device (iPod, GPS, backup camera, etc.) on a 6 volt positive ground system. We also make a similar device that allows you to run a 12 volt negative ground tachometer on 6 volts positive ground, (a much more complicated task). If this looks like something that is needed, we could look into developing such a device (this is assuming that such a device of sufficient quality doesn't currently exist).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1591.jpg (34.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (37.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1097.jpg (65.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1099.jpg (71.3 KB, 26 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
Frank Miller

There was aguy in NH I thhink his name was Bob Jeffers. He died a few years ago but I've been running one of his units in my 49 for 4 years now at least. One little glitch is that it occasionally stops charging at idle, which is normal but won't start charging again until I restart the car.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Rustynutz52

James Peterson did my 39 voltage regulator. I have run it for three years without a hitch. He did a super nice job. My car only has 50k on it so we did not re-plate it. Looks perfect!!
Rustynutz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I've used regulators from a company that makes bullet proof ones for the airplanes and helicopters. They are a small company and always seamed willing to take on projects and especially ones that may have a value to them in the power generation field. The company name is Zephtronics. The voltage controllers they make for the old Prestolite alternator design in 12 and 24 volts are the best units I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Put them on and forget about them. I haven't had one fail yet. Generators are a whole different animal compared to alternators but they aren't so different that they can share some design features. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. They have always been friendly to me. https://www.zeftronics.com/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
My partner and I are making several 6 volt positive ground devices. So far, we have made a "black box" that allows you to run any 12 volt negative ground device (iPod, GPS, backup camera, etc.) on a 6 volt positive ground system. We also make a similar device that allows you to run a 12 volt negative ground tachometer on 6 volts positive ground, (a much more complicated task). If this looks like something that is needed, we could look into developing such a device (this is assuming that such a device of sufficient quality doesn't currently exist).

Tub, Maybe this could be one of those "if you build it, they will come" moments.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
flatheadmurre

Building a solid state regulator that would bolt right into the old housing isnīt to difficult...
The thing is you need a big diode to act as cutout..2 fairly sized power transistors and and enough heatsinking to make it last...that cost money...so does making it survive voltage spikes...
Could make them 6 or 12 v selectable by a jumper but only positive or negative ground...canīt switch that ( takes Positive or negative transistors in the setup)
An estimate is that a good unit buillt to last ends up at around $200...and there everyone goes and buys the cheap chines units...lol
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
supereal

The original voltage regulators operate by pulsing the points, except for the cutout relay. If you buy a good quality unit, it should last a very long time. Mine came from C&G years ago for about $50, One tip: Be sure your voltage regulator is properly grounded. Most good units have separate connection lug for that purpose. Others depended upon one of the mounting screws, which often do not make good contact, and many ended up in the trash for that reason, even though they were OK.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote