Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
406CID

Lightbulb LED Headlights

Logo Lites now sells bright white LED Headlights for Model T, A, and early B Fords. They are as bright as a modern halogen, but pull less current than the 32/50 CP bulb. They focus like the original bulb and fit in the original type socket.

There is a video here: https://youtu.be/FA_9u2kWMNk

More info and details here: http://www.logolites.com/products/led-headlights/

-Kyle
406CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: LED Headlights

Is this your company? That is a pretty convincing video but I would love to see a picture of the beam pattern against a wall at the distance specified in the service bulletins for focusing headlights. I saw the one picture against the garage door but it's hard to tell that close.

I really don't want to blind oncoming drivers as I hate when it's done to me.

Correctly focusable LED headlights are very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about this.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Reasonably priced also ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
MikeK

Despite the video and their declarations they do not focus the correct beam pattern.

The off-axis output is extremely evident if a luminary device, in this case the headlamp assembly looks extremely bright from above and to the side, just as shown in their video.

If you don't mind blinding oncoming traffic with a D.O.T. illegal beam pattern then buy!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
406CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Is this your company? That is a pretty convincing video but I would love to see a picture of the beam pattern against a wall at the distance specified in the service bulletins for focusing headlights. I saw the one picture against the garage door but it's hard to tell that close.

Correctly focusable LED headlights are very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about this.
Not my company, but I do work for Logo Lites.

The LED emitters were painstakingly designed to be in the exact same location as the two incandescent filament in the original bulb. Moving the LED bulb in and out has the exact same effect as they do on an incandescent since they emit from the same location.

I don't have the exact proper setup to do the Ford prescribed focusing, but will see what I can do to show the focused output this weekend.

Keep in mind, with a correctly focused factory reflector and an original 21/21 CP bulb, if you could take those bulbs up to a few thousand CP without changing anything else, your eye would see a slightly different pattern.

Also, the Logo Lites LED Headlight bulb puts out the same lumens as other DOT approved modern halogens.

-Kyle
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406CID View Post

-Kyle
Where can you purchase them and what is the price?

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
MikeK

Lumens comparisons mean nothing if the output goes in the wrong direction.

The holy grail for any aftermarket headlamp is D.O.T. approval of the beam pattern. So far there are many claims but no actual approvals for any aftermarket emitter in a Ford spec parabolic reflector behind a McKee patent spec "Twolite" lens.

When that occurs as well as product that has both a realistic color temperature in the 3400-4300K range that matches well with human spectral response at night, combined with a true calculated color rendering index not less than 85 we will have a winner.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
406CID

We first built these with 4300K and, although brighter, they looked just as bad as the original bulbs. Regarding D.O.T. approval, I like what Snyder's says on their website:
Quote:
When your Model T or Model A was delivered the headlight bulbs were 21-21 cp. If you wanted a brighter light you used the 21-32 but kept a lookout for the cops because those bright bulbs were illegal. Now we want as bright a light as we can get and use the 32-32 or 32-50.

Nobody seems to sell the D.O.T. approved, factory specified 21-21 bulbs anymore, and I for one, would not want them.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Jim/GA

How is "high beam" and "low beam" handled with these lights?

The photos online seem to show 8 LED elements on one side, perhaps both sides (hard to tell from the photos). Are they wired such that all 16 LEDs come on for High and only the upper 8 come on for Low? Something needs to dip the beam down when on Low.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
GPierce

The bottom line for me; I am lot more comfortable driving at night with my LED head lights.
The original bulbs with Brattons new reflectors were still scary out there with all of the bright DOT approved headlights.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Where can you purchase them and what is the price?
On the website his link goes to there is a place to buy them and they are $30 each.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #12
ryanheacox

Quote:

The LED emitters were painstakingly designed to be in the exact same location as the two incandescent filament in the original bulb. Moving the LED bulb in and out has the exact same effect as they do on an incandescent since they emit from the same location.

I don't have the exact proper setup to do the Ford prescribed focusing, but will see what I can do to show the focused output this weekend.

Keep in mind, with a correctly focused factory reflector and an original 21/21 CP bulb, if you could take those bulbs up to a few thousand CP without changing anything else, your eye would see a slightly different pattern.

Also, the Logo Lites LED Headlight bulb puts out the same lumens as other DOT approved modern halogens.

-Kyle
While I’m sure it won’t be perfectly the same the photo attached shows what the beam pattern should look like at 25 feet. For the price I think it’s probably worth it for me to buy a pair and do some testing of my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5BE0DFCB-D15C-4AE6-8292-01D70D8BAB89.jpg (24.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
MikeK

Just a point of clarity- "D.O.T." approval refers to specific combinations of reflectors/lenses and bulbs, NOT exactly bulbs or LED's themselves. That's why there are so many modern bases that are not interchangeable. As soon as you take ANY bulb/LED that has a specific base and D.O.T. 'approval' then retro-fit it to a reflector/ lens combo that was not originally evaluated by D.O.T. you no longer have an assembly that produces an approved beam pattern, period. Good or bad then becomes an ugly mess of testimonials and pictures that show what someone wants you to see, not what actual D.O.T. specs would report.

On a historical note, D.O.T. did not exist in the Model A era, only a competing and conflicting hundred plus state and local motor vehicle lighting regulations. No 21/21cp, 21/32cp, or 32/50cp BA10 bulb was ever D.O.T. evaluated for performance in an A reflector behind a Twolite lens.

I'm all for as much driving beam as I can get but if the off-axis and out of pattern spill blinds other traffic to the point where they can no longer accurately discern my turn signals or (gasp) the edge or center of the road that puts me in extreme danger.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
loubob

Phone # for the company???
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
Kurt in NJ

Here are pictures of original bulbs, at 6 volts, the beam has good cutoff, quite defined edges of the beam, without the lens the round "spotlight " beam, sharp defined edge , not much light outside (scatter) of the beam

When I put in halogen bulbs with curved filament (originally V shape) the edges get a little less defined, still with good cutoff, much brighter, and very little scatter

One of my tests for scatter is to stand in line with the edge of the fenders about 4 feet in front, looking at the headlights they look "on", but all you see is a glow of light, not bright to look at, but if you move into the beam you are blinded

So that the pictures of led focus are comparable these are at 1 car length--- time to show off your lights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1692.JPG (24.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1693.JPG (24.4 KB, 190 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:56 AM   #16
burner31

So what is the expected life span of these? At $30 each I would hope I need not buy them every other year.
--------------------------------------------
Handle by base or aluminum
housing only. Touching the LEDs
drastically shortens their life span.
Normally, the mark on the LED bulb should
be up. If high and low beams are backwards,
reverse the bulb so the mark is down.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #17
burner31

$7.45 for shipping two small bulbs is a little rich.
Hint: You want to sell more...offer free shipping
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
roy green coupe

All modern cars lights blind me if i look straight at them, its because they are brighter. You really dont need to be a mechanical engineer to own a model a. Try them out, if you see better they are good. I will try them and I dont drive at night in my car hardly any.
roy green coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
rfitzpatrick

How about the tail-lites --anything can be found with this Company's product?
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
406CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
How is "high beam" and "low beam" handled with these lights?

The photos online seem to show 8 LED elements on one side, perhaps both sides (hard to tell from the photos). Are they wired such that all 16 LEDs come on for High and only the upper 8 come on for Low? Something needs to dip the beam down when on Low.
I was concerned about this early in the design too. It was pointed out to me that the 21/21 - 32/50 bulbs emit like an isotropic emitter (light in all directions). It is brighter up and down than side to side, but light is emitted in all directions from the original bulbs. This means on your incandescents and original reflectors, light goes down to the bottom of the parabolic reflector and reflects up somewhat. When you add the high beam, you simply add more light as the two filaments emit from the same location (not two very different locations like a modern day halogen). Most of the bulbs investigated even had a common point on one side, so the filaments were colocated.

The LED headlight was painstakingly designed to emulate what is available for us to use as a bulb now (except brighter and whiter). So, like the bulb, all 16 emitters are active at the same time, in the same place as the filaments. When you switch from low to high, it goes from reduced output to maximum output to emulate the incandescent bulb.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #21
Jim/GA

Quote:
I was concerned about this early in the design too. It was pointed out to me that the 21/21 - 32/50 bulbs emit like an isotropic emitter (light in all directions). It is brighter up and down than side to side, but light is emitted in all directions from the original bulbs. This means on your incandescents and original reflectors, light goes down to the bottom of the parabolic reflector and reflects up somewhat. When you add the high beam, you simply add more light as the two filaments emit from the same location (not two very different locations like a modern day halogen). Most of the bulbs investigated even had a common point on one side, so the filaments were colocated.
I'm sorry, but the above is not true for an original Model A Two-Light headlight reflector and original bulb. You need to do some more research on original bulbs and reflectors, not aftermarket replacement junk that was produced in the '50s and '60s.

Yes, the light is emitted from each filament in all directions. It approximates a point source. That is how a parabolic reflector works. No, a Model A High beam does not have both filaments lit to "add more light from the same location". It is one or the other filament (High or Low), not both.

On an original headlight assembly, when focussed, the High beam filament is exactly centered at the focal point of the parabolic reflector. The placement of the bulb socket is NOT exactly on the center axis; it is a bit high of center. But the High beam filament is also off center (low) inside the bulb by the same amount. So this places the High beam filament exactly on the center line axis of the reflector. You use the focus adjusting screw to move the filament along this axis until you exactly hit the focal point.

Then you adjust the headlight bucket itself to aim this beam straight out from the car (on a wall 25 feet from the headlights). When the High beam is aimed in this manner, the Low beam is automatically correct, by design.

That's because the Low beam filament, inside the original Model A 20 cp/20 cp bulb, is a separate filament that is higher than the High beam filament inside the bulb. When it lights, because it is now high to the center line and focal point of the reflector, the beam is slightly dipped down at the road (not straight out into the other driver's eyes).

This is all well documented in original drawings that you can get from the Benson Ford archives.

Note, the above description does not apply to the 1928 and early 1929 headlights, with the fluted lenses. They only had 20 cp Driving lights (similar to High beams) and 3 cp parking lights in the headlight buckets. They did not have a bright beam that was aimed down at the road. They did not have the lens of the later Model A; their headlight lenses looked exactly like the fluted Model T lenses.

It sounds like you need to go back to the drawing board because this design is based on faulty assumptions and measurements. Otherwise oncoming drivers will be blinded by the light put out.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Benson

Quote:

The LED headlight was painstakingly designed to emulate what is available for us to use as a bulb now (except brighter and whiter). So, like the bulb, all 16 emitters are active at the same time, in the same place as the filaments. When you switch from low to high, it goes from reduced output to maximum output to emulate the incandescent bulb.

If these LEDs work as described then it sounds to me that there is no shift in the beam to light up further down the road like "real high beams".

Sounds like all that happens is that the "lower beam" just gets brighter which might work for a car that never goes faster than 40 MPH.

The video shows that this is what happens with the LED bulbs installed there is no shift of the beam, it just gets brighter.

But then what is the point or need for high beams?

Last edited by Benson; 01-27-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #23
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
That's because the Low beam filament, inside the original Model A 20 cp/20 cp bulb, is a separate filament that is higher than the High beam filament inside the bulb. When it lights, because it is now high to the center line and focal point of the reflector, the beam is slightly dipped down at the road (not straight out into the other driver's eyes).
Jim, Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

And thanks for pointing out that the low bean filament is the upper one in the bulb and the high beam is the lower one. 'Some' people on the Ford Barn think it is the other way and there was quite a discussion about it a while back.

Oh, and nice hat...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-12-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
vstol

DOT might certify the light, but thatÂ’s as far as it goes. I know N C no longer tests lights for proper alignment, I find a lot of vehicles blind me with their DOT approved lights, but when I flash my lights I get even brighter lights. ItÂ’s up to owners to align their lights, there are procedures and guidance to do this.
vstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #25
DHZIEMAN

Quote:

-Kyle
If the company has test data on lighting pattern and how to properly adjust the focus of this LED, it would be good to share! If the company does not have this data, it should be developed. With a good silvered reflector, and proper focussing and assuring legal brightness is not exceeded and at about $30.00 a bulb, these LED's are hands down a good choice for night driving. Let us know!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
406CID

Folks keep asking about focus, so I got Squeaky Betsy out in the cold misty rain for a quick demo tonight. Her headlights are not aligned correctly, so please don't beat me over the head about that. Hopefully the short video demonstrates the fact that the LED bulbs are focusable.

https://youtu.be/3rIEO9QFRQE

-Kyle
Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #27
CWPASADENA

Thanks Jim for a very good explanation.

What is needed is a LED bulb is a true 2 "filament" bulb so you have a low beam that lights the road closer to the vehicle and a high beam that projects further down the road. This way, you will not blind the oncoming cars.

Just having bright light for "low" beam and brighter light for "HIGH" beam with the same focal point is not the answer. The low beam source must be higher in the reflector than the high beam light source for true "low" and "high" beam headlights.

Sealed beam headlamps have the low beam source above and to the left of the center on the parabola. This will shift the low beam down and off to the right which helps light the right hand edge of the road as the oncoming car passes and also helps to help keep your headlights from blinding oncoming drivers.

LED bulbs are a very good idea but they must be properly designed.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 01-13-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstol View Post
DOT might certify the light, but thatÂ’s as far as it goes. I know N C no longer tests lights for proper alignment, I find a lot of vehicles blind me with their DOT approved lights, but when I flash my lights I get even brighter lights. ItÂ’s up to owners to align their lights, there are procedures and guidance to do this.
Maryland no longer test headlight aim/patterns either as part of an inspection. Too many variables now with all of the modern led's.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #29
Patrick L.

406CID, I can assume you own a '62 406 ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #30
Badpuppy

Quote:
Folks keep asking about focus, so I got Squeaky Betsy out in the cold misty rain for a quick demo tonight. Her headlights are not aligned correctly, so please don't beat me over the head about that. Hopefully the short video demonstrates the fact that the LED bulbs are focusable.

https://youtu.be/3rIEO9QFRQE

-Kyle
Thanks for the video, Kyle, it's informative.

I see two minor problems with this bulb, perhaps one major:

1. The light source(s) are spread out on both sides of the centered tongue, which means there's no way to focus into a tight spot of light like could be done with a filament bulb with the lens removed. However, a reasonable focus should be possible by going for the smallest, brightest spot on the far wall (with lens installed). I suspect this would be more difficult than with standard bulbs.

2. Your vid shows the beam lowering as you adjust the focus screw in your Twolite lamps, which is caused by the 1/16" offset of the socket sleeve in the reflectors. Because both sides of the tongue have to be lit for high beam, the overall light source is 1/16" above where it should be. This is not terrible, so long as you readjust the beam height after focusing.

3. Despite the claims, I don't believe these bulbs are compatible with vehicles manufactured before March 1929. FSB p.573 lists the authorized bulbs available at the time, and clearly states that fact. Fig.738, p.362 shows an H-type lamp with a later reflector installed, and illustrates the reason why - the socket contacts are vertical.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #31
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post

<snip>

3. Despite the claims, I don't believe these bulbs are compatible with vehicles manufactured before March 1929. FSB p.573 lists the authorized bulbs available at the time, and clearly states that fact. Fig.738, p.362 shows an H-type lamp with a later reflector installed, and illustrates the reason why - the socket contacts are vertical.
I agree. I alluded to this change in my description, but it is better to be direct about it: These LED bulbs are not going to work properly in original Model A headlights that are from all of 1928 to ~March, 1929, the ones with the fluted lenses and the slightly smaller diameter connector on the bottom of the headlight bucket.

The connector is smaller because they only ran 2 wires, not 3, up into the headlights in those early models (driving light and parking light). Later they made the driving lights be Low and High (and kept Parking, if not on the cowls) -- 3 wires.

The switch to Low and High driving lights was made by Ford in response to several states enforcing a law that required the headlights to be dipped down at oncoming traffic, to prevent dazzle of the other driver by the bright lights.

Back in the time, automobile headlights were regularly checked in these states at night at temporary checkpoints that were setup to catch people that were a nuisance/dangerous to other drivers. It was that bad. As others have noted, most (if not all) states have now dropped the inspection of headlight aim because Detroit has done a better job of getting them right on modern cars.

I am concerned that these LEDs will produce unacceptable dazzle to oncoming drivers when installed in a Model A. As the driver of the car, it won't bother you, but it will be a nuisance to the others (and could cause an accident -- if the other driver is blinded by you, they may accidentally drive into you or someone else).

Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #32
KGBnut

This is a little different, but I thought that it might be useful to somebody. My daughter's daily-driver is a '74 Beetle and it had lousy headlights. I stumbled across these and absolutely love them. They are pricey, but considering how well they work I think they were worth it.

I plan on getting another set for my vintage, late-70s motorcycles that also use sealed beam.

For those that have sealed beam conversion on their Model A this might be a viable option. They look reasonably like older sealed beams.

You can check them out at:
https://vintagecarleds.com/

Ken
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #33
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
$7.45 for shipping two small bulbs is a little rich.
Hint: You want to sell more...offer free shipping
considering Halogens are 55+ shipping this is a STEEL!!! and as led will last 10x longer
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #34
Kurt in NJ

I know from driving that the amount of light 20 feet in front of the car isn't useful, that I prefer "spotlight" over "flood light", I looked at the video several times, to me it looks like a lot of light everywhere for short distances, but total darkness in the distance

one of the first things I noticed when I put in the direct fit halogen bulbs ( this term is considered to mean replacement aftermarket bulbs, but original Mazda ribbed bulbs are filled with halogen gases too) is that the road and signs were lit up for a long distance, one night I took a count of poles with reflectors, counted 8 poles, then a stop sign on high beam, the next day I measured the distance, over 3000 feet, on high beam the light started hitting the road over 2 car lengths ahead

I have been collecting HID light pieces from wreck cars ,the light from that bulb is focus able with original reflector , but hi-low would have to be by moving the bulb (factory use many times have a solenoid control shutter to make low beam, and some also have motors to aim the beam ---a good focused hid beam should near melt the tailights out of the car ahead but not blind the driver

there is no led conversion that can work properly with original reflector, new car led are off to the side, the reflector is a "rams horn" shape, perhaps a segmented one with each segment having it's own led. ---

if the lights are bright to look at them standing off to the side they have scatter from bad focus ---a good lighting system won't look bright except in the beam

I have been asking the proud LED headlight owners to show a picture of their bulbs focus without lens, still waiting

I have been trying to figure a test method that everyone can use to compare that is reproduce able and not needing special equipment, and I will try to make a video of my car to compare to the LED video going down the road (when the snowsalt is washed away )
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #35
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I have been trying to figure a test method that everyone can use to compare that is reproduce able and not needing special equipment, and I will try to make a video of my car to compare to the LED video going down the road (when the snowsalt is washed away )
Great idea. We need a consistent way to compare headlights. I do still think I'm going to order a set of these LEDs and run my own tests and compare them to both the 25W Halogen replacements and the 50-32 bulb then report back. Of course now I have to wait till April... To everyone in the northeast, stay safe this weekend.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #36
fredski53

$7.45 for shipping is too much?! Sometime I don't understand people!
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #37
Jembow

FWIW, I have LEDs in my 35 V8 Coupe which have separate high/low elements and focus like originals. I also have their LEDs in my 76 VW Camper.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #38
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembow View Post
FWIW, I have LEDs in my 35 V8 Coupe which have separate high/low elements and focus like originals. I also have their LEDs in my 76 VW Camper.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php
So with the lens off and on the light projected looks like the pictures in post 15, so far all the LED owners have declined to post pictures of lens off focus
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #39
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
highway robbery
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #40
CT Jack

There several interesting points to remember about LED lights versus incandescent lamps.
1. LED's are more efficient - more lumens per watt
2. LED's produce a more uniform wavelength of light compared to incandenscent lamps
3. The light emitted by LED's is very directional compared to incandescent lamps which is more scattered or random.
4. The intensity profile (brightness pattern) of the LED is more uniform than incandescent
Therefore, if the LED replacement light being discussed has been properly designed to function within the Model A parabolic reflector it should produce a more directional, higher brightness, and uniform intensity pattern. Maybe the lamp in question has not been completely fine tuned relative to the Model A reflector and just needs some additional tweaking. There are many more advantages to using LED's as a replacement than disadvantages. The idea of using less wattage to produce more light compared to incandescents is a good thing. Our 6volt generators will work more efficiently and our lights will not dim at idle. This debate reminds me of the longstanding points versus electronic ignition discussions. Sometimes change can be a good thing.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
Kurt in NJ

The original bulbs filament is V shaped, high-low beam are about 1/16 apart, give off light in every direction, replacement Halogen bulbs have straight filaments, this slight difference can be seen as a larger light beam with lees definition at the edges, a wider pattern and less sharp of a cutoff
The replacement LED are either a row arranged across, or inline, on both sides of a heat sink, the centerline of the original filaments is occupied by the heat sink, so by design they can't be focused properly in original reflector, perhaps some better than other bad design modifications

You mention generator, lights dimming at idle, one of the first tings I noticed putting the quartz halogens in was that I could barely see any changes between idle not charging --and full charging, the generator has been ok with running them for the last 20 years, and never use a battery tender.
Yes, I would like LED bulbs, but not at a loss of being able to see the signs at 3000 feet
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #42
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
Do you own a business?, do you ship regular, and pay for shipping material, time, boxes, etc..7.45 i a STEEL to ship...
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #43
old31

If you had to drive the package yourself I am going to just take a wild off of the shelf guess and say that it would cost you more than $7.45.

Now this is just my guess, I could be wrong.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #44
pgerhardt

Quote:

I bought a pair to test out and review for our (Fairfield County A's) newsletter. I'll share my results when I test them, but that won't be for a while. It is TOO COLD to do now!!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #45
pgerhardt

Well we had a warm day so I went up to the garage and installed the Logo Lites LED headlight "bulbs" (picture 1). The installation time was about 15 seconds. I took a picture with just one side installed (picture 2). Tests with focusing and night driving will have to wait until spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.49.50 AM.jpg (41.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.50.02 AM.jpg (68.1 KB, 97 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #46
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Well we had a warm day so I went up to the garage and installed the Logo Lites LED headlight "bulbs" (picture 1). The installation time was about 15 seconds. I took a picture with just one side installed (picture 2). Tests with focusing and night driving will have to wait until spring.
Cool!

With the car 25 feet from a wall or garage door, see if you can focus the high beam on each into a circle with a sharp edge with the lenses off first; then see what that looks like with the lens added; then see if you can focus that pattern any better from the circular starting point.

"Brighter" is not always going to be better, if it can't be focussed and aimed. But if it can be, these will be great!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #47
Smooth_One

I'll order 2 of these in a few weeks and try them out as soon as i get the harness back in the car.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #48
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Do you own a business?, do you ship regular, and pay for shipping material, time, boxes, etc..7.45 i a STEEL to ship...

Most of our parts suppliers charge in excess of $13 to ship one piece of anything no matter the size so i agree this is a value shipping rate.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #49
Roxo

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A13007LED.html

I found these on Mikes affordable's website for 29.95. Not sure if they are the same bulbs.
I found these after I ordered the Quartz adapter kit from Snyders for $97. I had to go with a alternator to run these. Another expense that could have been saved if the LED's work.
I will wait to hear from you guys as you experiment more with them.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
CarlG

The LED headlights I bought plug right into the reflectors where my Quarts Halogen bulbs (9007) were.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #51
Badpuppy

Quote:
The original bulbs filament is V shaped,
The V-shaped filament throws much of the light forward, missing the reflector and reducing beam intensity. The original filament was folded back on itself forming two parallel emitters which direct nearly all light into the reflector.

Quote:
Cool!

With the car 25 feet from a wall or garage door, see if you can focus the high beam on each into a circle with a sharp edge with the lenses off first; then see what that looks like with the lens added; then see if you can focus that pattern any better from the circular starting point.

"Brighter" is not always going to be better, if it can't be focused and aimed. But if it can be, these will be great!
From what I see, I suspect it will cast a more square pattern. The main goal is to reduce the size to maximum intensity.

I have two concerns about this bulb -
- If the shoulder contacts the reflector it may restrict the beam length to less than 25 feet.
- Despite the large heat sink, I wonder how effective it is within the sealed housing.
Hopefully the designers have done their homework and these potential issues have been addressed.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #52
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The LED headlights I bought plug right into the reflectors where my Quarts Halogen bulbs (9007) were.
The Quartz Halogen Headlight kit from snyders are not adjustable and you have to install a three way female spade plug. Therefore bypassing the original with no way to adjust the headlights. I think I will be sending these back.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #53
CarlG

The kit that I got included the female spade plug as well as the Halogen bulbs. I had been running that set-up for more than 5 years without a problem. The LEDs that I got were just plug & play in the Halogen set up. I wanted the LEDs primarily to reduce the current draw.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #54
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The kit that I got included the female spade plug as well as the Halogen bulbs. I had been running that set-up for more than 5 years without a problem. The LEDs that I got were just plug & play in the Halogen set up. I wanted the LEDs primarily to reduce the current draw.
Can you adjust the beam with your set. I see no way to do that with mine. with my luck I would be blinding the other drivers.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #55
Karl

Quote:
I know from driving that the amount of light 20 feet in front of the car isn't useful, that I prefer "spotlight" over "flood light", I looked at the video several times, to me it looks like a lot of light everywhere for short distances, but total darkness in the distance

one of the first things I noticed when I put in the direct fit halogen bulbs ( this term is considered to mean replacement aftermarket bulbs, but original Mazda ribbed bulbs are filled with halogen gases too) is that the road and signs were lit up for a long distance, one night I took a count of poles with reflectors, counted 8 poles, then a stop sign on high beam, the next day I measured the distance, over 3000 feet, on high beam the light started hitting the road over 2 car lengths ahead

I have been collecting HID light pieces from wreck cars ,the light from that bulb is focus able with original reflector , but hi-low would have to be by moving the bulb (factory use many times have a solenoid control shutter to make low beam, and some also have motors to aim the beam ---a good focused hid beam should near melt the tailights out of the car ahead but not blind the driver

there is no led conversion that can work properly with original reflector, new car led are off to the side, the reflector is a "rams horn" shape, perhaps a segmented one with each segment having it's own led. ---

if the lights are bright to look at them standing off to the side they have scatter from bad focus ---a good lighting system won't look bright except in the beam

I have been asking the proud LED headlight owners to show a picture of their bulbs focus without lens, still waiting

I installed a set of LED bulbs in my 1934 Ford. It appeared that lots more light was being thrown out and they were certainly brighter to look at!

However in this country we do test light alignment -as part of a mandatory 6 monthly safety inspection. Placed on the correct calibrated machine it revealed that although lots of light was coming out it was not focused -Much of it was shooting skywards (or into the eyes of the oncoming drivers) and some was falling onto the road right in front of the car. Very little was ending up on the road where it should.

So unfortunately in support of the above and contrary to the anecdotal evidence often quoted -proper testing with the correct machine reveals that at least in a 1934 that LEDs don't focus as they should . Given the fact that I use the same halogen bulbs in my Model A as I do in my 1934 ( both passing on the same machine ) I am sure that LEDs aren't up to speed in the Model A either.

Karl
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #56
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I installed a set of LED bulbs in my 1934 Ford. It appeared that lots more light was being thrown out and they were certainly brighter to look at!...
Karl
Were these Logo Lites?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #57
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Were these Logo Lites?
Good question. There are cheap lights touted as headlamp bulbs but are simply bright/dim rather than proper high/low beam. These should be used only for combo stop/tail lamps.

The ones from Logo or Snyder's (maybe others) or the other style from Classic Dynamo in UK should be up to snuff.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #58
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Were these Logo Lites?
No they were from Classic and Dynamo in the UK -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 03-15-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #59
Karl

Quote:
Good question. There are cheap lights touted as headlamp bulbs but are simply bright/dim rather than proper high/low beam. These should be used only for combo stop/tail lamps.

The ones from Logo or Snyder's (maybe others) or the other style from Classic Dynamo in UK should be up to snuff.
Classic Dynamo in the UK -and they're not -Karl
Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #60
31Cabriolet68-C

I always thought it went: "... it's a girl, my Lord, in a flatHEAD Ford..."
Oh well, the song was most certainly written a long time after '54...
But any gal driving a truck, or a hot rod, IS a mighty fine sight to see, particularly if it's a Ford...
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #61
Jim/GA

Thumbs up Re: LED Headlights

Quote:
I installed a set of LED bulbs in my 1934 Ford. It appeared that lots more light was being thrown out and they were certainly brighter to look at!

However in this country we do test light alignment -as part of a mandatory 6 monthly safety inspection. Placed on the correct calibrated machine it revealed that although lots of light was coming out it was not focused -Much of it was shooting skywards (or into the eyes of the oncoming drivers) and some was falling onto the road right in front of the car. Very little was ending up on the road where it should.

So unfortunately in support of the above and contrary to the anecdotal evidence often quoted -proper testing with the correct machine reveals that at least in a 1934 that LEDs don't focus as they should . Given the fact that I use the same halogen bulbs in my Model A as I do in my 1934 ( both passing on the same machine ) I am sure that LEDs aren't up to speed in the Model A either.

Karl
Karl-
Your findings with the headlight focus & aim test machine (not anecdotal assessment) are consistent with my expectations. From the design and layout (position) of the LEDs on these headlight bulbs, I did not expect them to focus properly or to put a proper beam out on the road ahead, especially the dipped Low. I am glad to hear that you did this test for us and to hear the results.

When I was growing up in Florida, they used to do an annual safety inspection of our cars that sounds similar to the inspection that your cars undergo. They tested the braking force of each wheel independently (to identify a faulty wheel or overall subpar brakes) and they checked both the brightness and alignment of each headlight, both Low and High beams, to make sure you could see the road and that you were not blinding oncoming drivers (with dazzle). It was thorough.

The state has since dropped all safety inspections. There are now a large number of unsafe clunkers on the road there.

I found the once per year inspections we had to do as a kid to be kind of a pain; I can't imagine having to do it every 6 months.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #62
Badpuppy

Quote:
I have to say I'm surprised - they look good. But then I haven't seen one in the flesh. Thanks for the report, Karl.

As for me, I still have 8 Eveready Mazda #1116's to go through, probably 20 years' worth.

I've always wondered - what kind of girl drives a flatbed?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #63
dumb person

Quote:
Which ones?
The scooter style? the stop-tail style? Or a newer kind?
Because they don't always reflect the same given different reflectors.
Some really 'poor' designs work ok in parabolic reflectors. Such as those 3 sided ones, but those are terrible in the none-parabolic reflectors.

I always thought the scooter style worked ok in old fords.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #64
M2M

Any new updates about these?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #65
old31

Logo lite update:

To me, a 32/50 bulb does a better job at nite projecting the beam where you want it. The led seemed to provide a scatter approach vs a projected beam. No matter how you try to adjust the bulb.

But with that said, I will stick with the led's, as I think "overall" they are better.

I always drive with my lights on during the day and do very little night driving. The led for day use are whiter and brighter and can be seen easier.

The led's make the generator work less because you can turn the 3rd arm down due to the very small amount of electricity the LEDs use over bulbs whether they be 32/50 or sealed beam or Halogen.

So although a little more expensive than the 32/50's for my driving my vote is LED.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #66
Garagekulture13

I realize this is a older topic but I thought I would update with my findings. I'm running the LED headlight bulbs from Bratton's and lovem. This is how they look for me this morning. Also at idle there is no longer a draw on the generator.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #67
wmws
BANNED

They look terrific. Did you also get the reflectors from Brattons.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #68
Garagekulture13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
They look terrific. Did you also get the reflectors from Brattons.
I did not. They are original reflectors that I have never done anything too.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #69
ryanheacox

Does anyone else have trouble with the lights flickering? I have a feeling it might be the poor reproduction sockets but I have no problem with incandescent or halogen bulbs. I even have a dedicated ground from the sockets to the frame and the lights still flicker sometimes. I don't think it's the switch because if I get out of the car and give the headlight bucket a tap the light will come right back.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #70
old31

My right light just started to flicker. I swapped led's from right to left and the right side still quickly flickers.

I can not find anything wrong.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #71
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Does anyone else have trouble with the lights flickering? I have a feeling it might be the poor reproduction sockets but I have no problem with incandescent or halogen bulbs. I even have a dedicated ground from the sockets to the frame and the lights still flicker sometimes. I don't think it's the switch because if I get out of the car and give the headlight bucket a tap the light will come right back.

Is it possible the flickering is there with the incandescent bulbs too but because the LED bulbs are instant on/off, it is more pronounced or noticeable? My LEDs are like 'instant on' at full intensity when the switch is flipped where the other bulbs are quick but not instant.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #72
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Is it possible the flickering is there with the incandescent bulbs too but because the LED bulbs are instant on/off, it is more pronounced or noticeable? My LEDs are like 'instant on' at full intensity when the switch is flipped where the other bulbs are quick but not instant.

This probably is the case. I'm not going to blame the lights since everyone is aware of the quality of the repro sockets.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #73
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:

My LEDs flicker some when the steering wheel ring for the lights is moved slightly. I assume the contacts at end of the steering column are slightly worn resistive, and the flickering may be more pronounced due to the previous post about either being on or off, and the fact they use drastically less current. I occasionally notice them flicker once in a while when driving, mostly when hitting bumps, and exercising the ring a little cures the issue.

The real cure most likely is to go in and clean up the contacts, but rarely drive at night, and am a little lazy

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 07-26-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #74
Garagekulture13

I too had the flicker. I gutted the connectors between the headlight bucket and the conduit. I connected the wires with a bullet connector. You can't see that I've done this. This morning I did not see the flicker on the way into work. I will update if the flicker shows back up.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #75
Conaway2

After reading Garagekulture13’s post, I bought the LED bulbs from Bratton’s and installed them this afternoon - just removed the 32 cp bulbs and plugged the new ones in. Turns out that these are the Logo Lites. I am very impressed with the amount of light the headlights now project - huge improvement over the stock bulbs. Current draw is a couple of amps at most.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #76
updraught

I think it's voltage drop with LED's. Got a light bar on my normal car and it has a slight flicker, but not worth worrying about.
https://support.stedi.com.au/hc/en-u...f-illuminated-
Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #77
glennpm

Hi Conaway2,

Did you get good cut off and focus like GarageKulture's in post #66? His look great!

I have quartz halogens in my 32 and can't use the LogoLites, looking at Sealights instead.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #78
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
I have quartz halogens in my 32 and can't use the LogoLites, looking at Sealights instead.
I had the same situation. I used ones from JDM Astar. They work great.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 08-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #79
glennpm

Thanks Carl!
Old 08-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #80
bkensinger

I bought Logo Lites and think they are great! I did get a flicker on right high beam and contacted the manufacturer. They said it is most likely a poor ground. Here is the exact reply:

Each time this has come up in the past it has been an electrical ground
(chassis) return problem. Since both lights are doing it, it is
probably the headlight cross bar that is not getting a good connection
through the fenders back to the frame and the battery.

The electronics in the LED headlight bulb show up a poor ground return
path much more than an incandescent bulb. You might start by loosening
and then re-tightening any bolts between the lights and the frame. This
should brighten the steel and the bolts a little and provide a better
ground return.

The other possibility is that the high beam switch and wiring has a
high resistance. If that is the case, it can be checked by removing the
bulbs, turning them over 180°, and reinserting them. If the symptom is
that the low beam (high beam switch on) flickers and the high beam (low
beam switch on) then the high beam switch and wiring are the problem.
In other words, the problem stayed with the wiring, not the high beam of
the bulbs.

Best regards,
Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #81
glennpm

Hi,

I bought and installed the Sealight HB5 9007 LEDs in place of my quartz halogens yesterday in my 1932. Great light and cut off. No flicker and instant high/Low light change without delay. I checked them within my garage for the cutoff. I don't drive the 32 at night but will give it a try. I wanted them for daytime visibility and less amperage than the quartz.

The instructions included were lacking but found a video online after the fact.
https%3A%2F%2Fd2y5sgsy8bbmb8.cloudfront.net%2F96dd 950b-5527-4c2a-9849-903daac12174%2Fdefault.jobtemplate.mp4.480.mp4.mp4

Glad I made the switch to LEDs.

Last edited by glennpm; 08-12-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: specified year of my car, 1932
Old 08-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #82
History

I read on this forum that the headlight reproduction reflectors aren't shaped as the originals??? My (I ASSume) original reflectors need replaced as they are not very shiny and have corrosion on them that I do not believe will clean up.

What/where should I purchase replacement reflectors.

I believe I will also go with led lights. I'll re read the thread but I'm 6 volt, what's the best led setup????
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #83
glennpm

I don't have answers for the best replacement reflectors, perhaps Bratton's? With the stock bulb socket, you want to look at Logo Lites, http://www.logolites.com/.

Glenn
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #84
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I read on this forum that the headlight reproduction reflectors aren't shaped as the originals??? My (I ASSume) original reflectors need replaced as they are not very shiny and have corrosion on them that I do not believe will clean up.

What/where should I purchase replacement reflectors.

I believe I will also go with led lights. I'll re read the thread but I'm 6 volt, what's the best led setup????
You can clean the silver oxide off your originals with salt and vinegar. If there's not much brass showing through you can resurface them with a rub-on product like this -
https://medallioncare.com/product/me...liquid-silver/

It tends to combine with the brass and discolors the silver, but isn't too noticeable if only 10% or so. If more than that, you can nickel plate over the brass (not hard) before you apply the solution.

Of course the sane thing to do is buy new aluminized reflectors from Bratton's - Mac's and Snyder's sell the same thing. They all sell the Logo lights too, I believe.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #85
ryanheacox

Quote:
Of course the sane thing to do is buy new aluminized reflectors from Bratton's - Mac's and Snyder's sell the same thing. They all sell the Logo lights too, I believe.

If you do buy new, make sure to look for the correct reflectors that Bratton's developed as some vendors do still carry the incorrectly shaped ones. However, this doesn't matter as much with the LEDs as they really can't be focused properly.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #86
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
If you do buy new, make sure to look for the correct reflectors that Bratton's developed as some vendors do still carry the incorrectly shaped ones. However, this doesn't matter as much with the LEDs as they really can't be focused properly.

I guess this one is one I'm still having an 'understanding issue'. I liken this to someone who is using a rifle at target practice telling someone you can't accurately hit the target with a machine gun because they cannot mount a scope onto their machine gun.

The same applies to these bulbs. With a single filament incandescent bulb, you need to be able to focus the bulb to throw the one light beam the furthest. With a LED bulb that has multiple diodes throwing light beams at the reflector in multiple angles, there is not a need in focusing. All you need to do is aim the headlight to keep it out of oncoming driver's eyes, and the LEDs fill in with more lumens and greater distance. Ultimately, the goal of the headlight is to provide as much usable light as possible without blinding oncoming motorists. From my experience with using the LEDs, they perform this goal well.

One other topic to discuss, ...people keep mentioning using the Bratton Reflectors. While that is what I happen to be using also, I am beginning to question if it is the shape of the reflector that makes the LED's work well, -or whether its is Uvira's aluminized coating that makes them project light well. I personally believe it is the Uvira coating or the electroplated Silver when used with the LEDs, -and not the parabolic shape. If someone is using the single filament bulb that needs to be focused, then I do think the reflector shape matters.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #87
Conaway2

Glenpm - sorry it’s taken me this long to respond. I snapped a pic tonight while driving - sorry it’s not sharper, but the LogoLites LEDs put out a lot of light. Huge improvement over the original style bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D9B8A12-8BED-4A5C-85AA-5C00870CFE7D.jpg (39.4 KB, 82 views)
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #88
Garagekulture13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
Glenpm - sorry it’s taken me this long to respond. I snapped a pic tonight while driving - sorry it’s not sharper, but the LogoLites LEDs put out a lot of light. Huge improvement over the original style bulbs.
Looks great!

Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #89
Bill G

oops I replied to an old post in error.. disregard
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #90
glennpm

Quote:
Thank you, they look great!

Glenn
Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 AM   #91
bt34

Hi all.

As it is now March 2021 what is the latest news on Model A headlights.
I have 12volt system with an alternator.
At the moment I have 32/50 bulbs with new Synders reflectors and also a set of Halogen bulbs with matching reflectors.
What do you guys recommend.

Cheers
bt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #92
jak

These are now offered in positive and negative ground. I know that Bratton's has the negative ground led bulbs in stock #17795
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #93
Badpuppy

bt34 - With a 12V alternator, you have sufficient output capacity for any bulb type. Halogens are brighter than incandescents but use more power. LEDs use very little power and are brighter still, so you're less likely to overdrive your headlights at higher speeds. Best choice depends on how you drive.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #94
msmaron

Quote:
REALLY lets see you top this on a 6 volt standard bulb.. I can light my backyard with the LED but NOT Focus it or aim it at all in anyway....This was taken at 4:30 am on a very dark street...Note the light focused and aimed as per the FORD Service bulletins.. This is also the dim setting.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standard bulbs.jpg (20.1 KB, 51 views)
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 03-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #95
glennpm

No problem Mark. there are so many finished threads so good closure.

Your beam pattern and depth look excellent. Couldn't ask for better than that!
I'm very happy with my "Sealight HB5 9007 LEDs". Excellent daytime visibility. They see me!

Glenn
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #96
Gene F

Maron just to be clear:
Your photo shows the $2 bulbs we have been using for years, clean reflectors, aimed and focused as directed in the service bulletins, on low beam, right?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #97
Joe K

I Googled "Model A LED Bulbs" after reading the May-June 2022 "Restorer" Magazine article about a competition between original and LED bulb types.

This thread came to the top of the Google search.

Recommend anyone to read the article which addresses quite well the light patterns and comparison.

I was surprised to learn that the "focused" LED bulbs (www.logolites.com) DOES NOT REQUIRE A REFLECTOR - and will work equally well with or without. This LED bulb was declared "winner" of the lighting competition.

Not as reasonably priced as some have indicated above, at $50 each they may be your solution to your lighting AND reflector problems.

Joe K
Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #98
Keith True

I've tried all the LED headlights I could find as they came out.A couple of years ago I got the info for some from Australia,and while they were pricey,my friend wanted to try them.He loves them.I tried some others that weren't worth the postage.I had a low mile A with pristine reflectors,and nice vintage bulbs.Those were the best original style lights I've ever seen on an A.I could see reflective things almost a half mile away.If I turned the focus screw an eighth of a turn you see the focus change.Now I bought a set of the new Logolites LED's,put them in,and tried them for about 20 minutes.Then I went in the house and ordered two more sets.They delineate things close up that the stock bulbs don't.I can clearly see the deer and bears crossing the road,with the old lights they just kind of blend in with the background.I can see no reason to go back to oxcart lights.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #99
ndnchf

I installed the Logolites focused beam bulbs a couple weeks ago. I think they are great. Using these and LED tail lights, I run the original cutout and generator with 3rd brush set to its lowest output position. With the lights on, I still get a slight positive charge on the ammeter. I'm very happy with them.
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #100
Keith True

I think a lot of people get hung up on the fact you can't focus.You do NOT focus forward firing LED's.The same idea as not trying to focus a sealed beam headlight bulb.They are focused,you just aim them.With bulbs and reflectors the light bounces off the reflectors,and you adjust the bulb in and out to toss that light out into a point.With the forward firing LED's the only thing you do is to adjust the levelness of the beams.That is done by loosening two little allen screws and twisting the bulb until the stripe is on the top.That will make your beams levelIf your sockets are twisted,or your headlights are canted,if you set that stripe on the top your beams will be dead level.Your reflectors do not come into play at all,except,as a thing to hold the sockets.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #101
updraught

Just to be clear, the original intent of this thread was for logolites LED headlight bulbs that bounce the light off the original reflectors. The new logolites focused beam bulbs are forward firing LED bulbs that have no need for a reflector. I just wish their web site would work for ordering.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 AM   #102
ndnchf

I ordered the focused beam bulbs through their web site a few weeks ago, it worked just fine. The bulbs came by priority mail a few days later.
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:36 AM   #103
updraught

It looks like Bert's has them
https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...oduct_id=18618
Old 05-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #104
Badpuppy

Snyder's has them in their new catalog, but I don't find them on their website.

Part T13007-LED, Pages T-66 & A-155.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #105
Big hammer

Look under new items