Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 AM   #21
3.6rs

Default Re: advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
I'm afraid I screwed up and forgot to winterize the thing.
Why are there so many people that only put antifreeze in the system during the winter !? Once it is in, leave it in ! It's also a rust prevent for the inside of the engine. Winter and summer.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
Why are there so many people that only put antifreeze in the system during the winter !? Once it is in, leave it in ! It's also a rust prevent for the inside of the engine. Winter and summer.
I've also tried, but it's no use. For some reason some people like just water and rust. Supposed to cool 3 extra degrees I guess.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've also tried, but it's no use. For some reason some people like just water and rust. Supposed to cool 3 extra degrees I guess.
I wonder if it correlates to the cars that also have cooling problems so its cheaper and less messy to just keep refilling the clogged radiator every time it overheats

First time i got my frame running around I used water, glad i did - darn leaky hose clamps and then discovered the partially clogged radiator as it couldnt idle without overheating.Currently has 50/50 in it and doing fine. Farm stores usually have a gal jug of concentrate for $7.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

I wonder why antifreeze is so expensive?
I remember when you could buy it on sale for $1 a gallon, and now the ad in Menards has the diluted 50/50 for $8, which is the same as $16 a gallon.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
WHN

I know that all of us (rightfully so) have our own ideas on how we service our cars.

There are Model A owners who prefer to run just water for any number of good reasons.

Relating someone who forgets to drain a radiator full of water before winter, “to everyone should be using anti freeze”, is wrong.

In almost 60 years I have never used anything but water with rust inhibitor. Never had a car overheat, no other problems. We drain radiator in early November. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I know that all of us (rightfully so) have our own ideas on how we service our cars.

There are Model A owners who prefer to run just water for any number of good reasons.

Relating someone who forgets to drain a radiator full of water before winter, “to everyone should be using anti freeze”, is wrong.

In almost 60 years I have never used anything but water with rust inhibitor. Never had a car overheat, no other problems. We drain radiator in early November. Enjoy.
I know MANY, who still use the OLD Method, of Soluable Oil & Water. Most Folks NEVER change their ways, we ARE what we ARE---LOL
Bill W.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

No new cars have come with plain water, and for good reason. The only reason I can think of to run plain water is when you're on the road and a leak develops, so you keep dumping in water to get home. That happened to me while on a day trip to Wisconsin. My lower pipe had a rust pit that opened up and I lost my antifreeze. Luckily I had 2 gallons of water along, so I made it 50 miles home.

BTW, I stopped at a gas station to refill my 2 jugs with water, and they wouldn't let me have any, but told me I could buy their expensive distilled water.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Here is a link to a thread I did on cleaning and repainting an engine, and towards the end of the thread I discovered two cracks in the cooling chamber. It didn't leak before all this work began, but I wanted to repair the cracks anyway with JB Weld, so you can see how I did the repair.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+hauler+engine
Old 01-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
robw

Default Follow up

So, I let it sit for nearly 48 hours at above freezing temps. Only a dribble of water ever came out.

I filled it with some warm water. It took approximately 3 gallons. I cranked it and it ran far a few minutes then suddenly quit. Spent the next few hours trouble shooting to figure out why.

Gave up. Tried again this morning... no spark. Broke out my Les Andrews troubleshooting guide and went to work. Gave up again and went to lunch.

After lunch the magic occurred and suddenly it started and ran. I have no idea what I did.

I drained out half the water and replaced it with antifreeze then drove it around the neighborhood for about an hour.

It is running good no visible leaks, so I guess I got lucky.

God looks after dumb animals.

Rob
robw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #30
Ted Duke

I have been told that folks in this part of Virginia used a water-kerosene mixture in the winter (way back when kerosene was cheap).
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #31
klawockvet

The first freeze is often ok as the metal may be able to absorb the initial stretch. When the water thaws out and freezes subsequent times it will keep pushing a little further each time, eventually splitting the metal.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

I would leave the petcock open with an empty bucket underneath and get some heat blowing on the engine for a couple of days. Wait until the water comes out. It takes a long time for ice to melt when it is enclosed and depending on heat coming through a cast iron block that is "just above freezing".
Don't pour water into it until you are sure it is thawed out and emptied out. That water could quickly freeze up around the existing ice and create more problems.

Many lessons are learned in Minnesota winters !
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #33
Bikerider58

I’ve used a drop light with 60watt bulb to keep an engine warm and ready during a cold snap. (The old Easy Bake oven childs toy used a bulb to cook.)

How drafty is your garage? It may take some time for the metal to thaw.

Placing it on the head and covering the hood and radiator with a blanket to keep the heat should help warm it up.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #34
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
So, I let it sit for nearly 48 hours at above freezing temps. Only a dribble of water ever came out.

I filled it with some warm water. It took approximately 3 gallons. I cranked it and it ran far a few minutes then suddenly quit. Spent the next few hours trouble shooting to figure out why.

Gave up. Tried again this morning... no spark. Broke out my Les Andrews troubleshooting guide and went to work. Gave up again and went to lunch.

After lunch the magic occurred and suddenly it started and ran. I have no idea what I did.

I drained out half the water and replaced it with antifreeze then drove it around the neighborhood for about an hour.

It is running good no visible leaks, so I guess I got lucky.

God looks after dumb animals.

Rob
That's great news. Thanks for the update.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #35
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
I have been told that folks in this part of Virginia used a water-kerosene mixture in the winter (way back when kerosene was cheap).
Wouldn't do anything to prevent freezing. Kerosene and water don't mix. It will just separate after the engine is shut off so the lower half of the engine would still freeze. If they did do that, perhaps it was for some sort of rust prevention.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #36
Russ/40

So, you got little water out, and put three gallons in. Where did it go, and what is your conclusion?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #37
BILL WILLIAMSON

Tom W. spoke of buying WATER. In Oatman, Arizona, in the '40s, it cost a Dime for a glass of water & a Quarter to fill your radumator! That was a lot of money, back then.
Google Oatman, Arizona, MOST interesting place!! At the crest of the BLACK MOUNTAINS, with horrible switchbacks, both UP & DOWN! Second gear climbing & back to First, through the switchbacks!! (Be sure to wear DEPENDS) Once made the trip in a LOADED, '35 Chev Ton & a Half & a '29 Chev Fordor !
Bill Nomad
Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #38
1crosscut

It was good that you had to put in nearly 3 gallons of water. That means that you were pretty much empty and the odds of freeze damage is much lower. Question is to why it was so low.
You said that you drained out half the water and replaced it with antifreeze. I trust that you started it up and ran it for a while to mix it and then tested it to be sure that the ratio is proper.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #39
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

That no start issue may have been a little dirt or moisture on the points. Put a business card between them and pull it out.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #40
Brendan

how about pull the plugs , crank the motor over to get any water out, if any would get in the cylinders. put the plugs back in. then start her up and worm it up. if its cracked you can't screw it up anymore

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote