Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Tom in TN

Default Need a source for '34 pitman arm for Heims

Hey Y’all… I’m looking to change my drag link to one with Heims on both ends, to eliminate any play in that area.

Does anyone know of a source for a pitman arm that fits the ’34’s splined shaft, but has a hole on the other end, not a ball?

I’ve found several, but they fit a Vega shaft, or a GM shaft or something else…can’t seem to locate one that fits a stock 34 gearbox pinion shaft.

TIA
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Need a source for '34 pitman arm for Heims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TN View Post
Hey Y’all… I’m looking to change my drag link to one with Heims on both ends, to eliminate any play in that area.

Does anyone know of a source for a pitman arm that fits the ’34’s splined shaft, but has a hole on the other end, not a ball?

I’ve found several, but they fit a Vega shaft, or a GM shaft or something else…can’t seem to locate one that fits a stock 34 gearbox pinion shaft.

TIA

The '34 splined shaft is the same, 1932 thru '48. From 1935-'48, any of the Pitman arms should bolt-on. The "48-" arm for '35-36 is the shortest, then there's a "78-" which fits '37-'40. The "11A-" fits '41 ONLY, and the "21A-" fits '42-'48 Ford cars, but all the same spline count and with a 7º tapered hole for drag link. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Krylon32

If your concerned with play I'd make a new drag link using the later Ford tie rod ends and forget the Heims. Just get a 32 pitman and you should be good to go. Only problem may be to clock the pitman correctly you may have to file down the larger locator splines?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Tom in TN

Krylon32, not dismissing what you say, but a Heim having more play than a tapered end? Where would that play come from? I have a brand new Heim on one end and anticipate another brand new one on the other end. Can you elaborate?
I’m trying to tighten my steering system up so as to get rid of the ‘death wobble’ when I cross a RR track and those old cup & spring drag links allow a LOT of play.
I am considering machining a ’brass slug’ to replace the spring, just to see if it helps…
Old 04-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #5
Andy

Regular tie rod ends have worked pretty good for a long time. I would weld on a salvaged boss and get rid of the ball but keep the arm. You get into a lot of stuff with splines, orientation, and length, and shape when changing arms. Any spindle, later pitman arm, should serve as a donner.
I had some shimmy and found the kingpins slightly loose. They need to be greased like every 1000 miles. It is not like a new car with no maintaince
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Krylon32

The later style Ford tie rod ends will outlast a heim any time. Heim ends are more of a race car part where they are subject to frequent replacement. I'm running early style tie rod ends (32-34) on my 32 pickup and I have no free play. My ends were new with new bronze kits. On my cars whether I have death wobble or not I always install a hydraulic steering stabilizer. Some say they're a crutch but they really smooth out straight axle steering. I go back to my post above and would use a 32 pitman as they have a tapered end, no welding required, you may have to file down the larger locator splines for proper orientation but that's no big deal. Just my opinion?

Last edited by Krylon32; 04-15-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Krylon32, not dismissing what you say, but a Heim having more play than a tapered end? Where would that play come from? I have a brand new Heim on one end and anticipate another brand new one on the other end. Can you elaborate?
I’m trying to tighten my steering system up so as to get rid of the ‘death wobble’ when I cross a RR track and those old cup & spring drag links allow a LOT of play.
I am considering machining a ’brass slug’ to replace the spring, just to see if it helps…

"Andy" & "Krylon32" give some pretty savvy advice up above. If you decide to use a '32 Pitman arm, there is some quite valuable "CLOCKING" info in this link below! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...n+arm+clocking

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
Tom in TN

Thanks guys - trust me, I am saving these posts.
Krylon32, what are the odds you have a source/part number for that hydraulic steering stabilizer?
Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
The later style Ford tie rod ends will outlast a heim any time. Heim ends are more of a race car part where they are subject to frequent replacement. I'm running early style tie rod ends (32-34) on my 32 pickup and I have no free play. My ends were new with new bronze kits. On my cars whether I have death wobble or not I always install a hydraulic steering stabilizer. Some say they're a crutch but they really smooth out straight axle steering. I go back to my post above and would use a 32 pitman as they have a tapered end, no welding required, you may have to file down the larger locator splines for proper orientation but that's no big deal. Just my opinion?
Not to high jack, but can you elaborate how these bronze kits work for the early cup & ball tie rod ends?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks guys - trust me, I am saving these posts.
Krylon32, what are the odds you have a source/part number for that hydraulic steering stabilizer?
Tom, just in case you don't know, this is Krylon32:

http://cornhuskerrodandcustom.net/
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
Krylon32

Tim: I got the bronze rebuild kits from Mac's. They are just like the regular kits except the cups have a bronze facing. Tom: I get my steering stabilizers from Pete & Jakes.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Tim: I got the bronze rebuild kits from Mac's. They are just like the regular kits except the cups have a bronze facing. Tom: I get my steering stabilizers from Pete & Jakes.
Thanks, Gary!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote