Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Roadster62

Default ORIGINAL 1935 Factory Paint

Ever look at the original paint on a 10,000 original mile 1935 Ford? It sure isn't like the paint finish on a restored car. Bob
Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: ORIGINAL 1935 Factory Paint

Wouldn't it be great if you could put a fresh paint job on a car that had the patina of factory paint.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
fordscript

I have a collection of old hubcaps (1936-39) that I have removed the stainless from in order to get original paint color samples. The paint finish is not very good, quite 'orange-peely' and not without impurities. It appears to be an enamel with a good lustre, except the black ones which are almost satin. it is a good source for original samples, protected all its life from sunlight and other elements. If the cars looked like this when new. then buyers obviously weren't too concerned about the appearance.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordscript View Post
I have a collection of old hubcaps (1936-39) that I have removed the stainless from in order to get original paint color samples. The paint finish is not very good, quite 'orange-peely' and not without impurities. It appears to be an enamel with a good lustre, except the black ones which are almost satin. it is a good source for original samples, protected all its life from sunlight and other elements. If the cars looked like this when new. then buyers obviously weren't too concerned about the appearance.
If orange-peely and impurities make a finish look original, then my paint job must be close to original. ha ha, Paul
oldbugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

In 1957 I had a 35 pickup proffsionly painter (57 Rambler baron blue) and run through a backing oven. It came out smooth as glass. I drove to a Rambler dealer and parked right beside a brand new Rambler with the same paint. I couldn't believe it, the new car was all orange peely right from the factory. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

A little off subject.. in 1960 I had Milt's body shop paint my 55 Ranch Wagon a Pontiac mahogany color, a beautiful job, he did a complete job, doorjambs firewall and underside of hood as well, total cost $65.00
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Shadetree

A few months back I was reading somehere about `stressing' new paint to make it look like the original. Not sure where I read it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
A few months back I was reading somehere about `stressing' new paint to make it look like the original. Not sure where I read it.
Well, I'm no fan of Chinese stuff. In fact, I despise it. But have you ever noticed what they have done with furniture? They can take a bunch of sawdust and make it look EXACTLY like real wood. Mahogany, cherry, you name it. I'm sure someone could do the same with car paint.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
rgtharley

Most of the paint on my 35 Deluxe Touring Sedan is original, and in spite of some surface rust here and there, it still looks pretty good for it's age. I believe this "baked on" enamel was meant to last a long time.

Bob T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 New 008a.jpg (103.3 KB, 34 views)
rgtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
TonyM

Good lookin car BobT.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
B-O-B

Back in the 50s we sold a lot of fish eye remover. I read somewhere a year or so ago that guys were paying big bucks to get paint with the orange peel effect. If you want orange peel just spray some silicone around. The paint we sold was ACME brand. There was also a drier that you could add & it would dry as fast a lacquer.
OH I worked @ Spencer Bros in Long Beach Cal. anyone ever hear of them. I started there looking for a job as an apprentice bodyman. Heh heh he Dumb farm boy me walked in & Ray asked what I wanted & I replied that I was looking for a job. He put me to work installing service station equipment. I wanted to be a body/paint guy so asked the dealers in Long Beach for a job & they all said go see Ray Spencer.Never did become a bodyman automotive one that is.
Sorry about the hi-jack to this thread.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote