Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Gary/IA

Default Interesting radiator experiement

I purchased a '29 that had what I thought at the time was a new Brassworks radiator. Upon closer inspection, I found that the radiator is an original, it has the 4 tubes (seamed tubes) with the funnel shaped neck (riveted to the top tank).

The temperature would read around 150* (no thermostat) under fairly level driving conditions at 70* air temperature. The problem is that it would tend to run hot when going up a 3 mile very steep hill. The temperature gauge would be at about 215* when I reached the top of the hill, air temperature 70*.

I know it should be rodded out but thought I would just try something first. I ran white vinegar in it for about one week, terrible looking rusting gunk drained out. I then ran Purple Power (full strength) in it for about a week, drained out a lot of small flakes and fine sediment. Strained the Purple Power and ran it again for awhile (more flakes and gunk).

Now on a 70* day I can go up the same 3 mile steep hill pushing the car hard and the temp. gauge will only go to 185*. I am not sure just what temperature would be reached with a perfectly clean radiator under the same conditions but it seems I have helped it considerably.

I may have to have it rodded but a 30* gain is not bad for three flushings.

By the way, prior to this I flushed the radiator twice with Prestone radiator flush. Absolutely nothing came out of the radiator but clear water. Save your money - use vinegar and Purple Power.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Interesting radiator experiement

Sounds like a cheap way to extend the time before major radiator work. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
kenparker

I flushed my radiator with 1 gal of Simple Green : 2 gals of water. After a 40 mile run and fast idle for about 30 minutes, to push the temp to 200 degrees, some thick nasty greasy crud poured out. A second round with half the Simple Green and the radiator is squeeky clean. Lowered running temp a few degrees but I was still leary so bit the bullet for a new core.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Cider Mill

How much $ should a re-coring cost typically?
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Fellows on the EV8 Forum swear by the vinegar treatment. It's cheap and nothing to lose. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Gary/Ia ......................
The Radiator flushes of today, are regulated by the EPA, and are almost totally useless, as you have discovered. They are just a waste of money. Glad the vinegar worked well for you !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
frankie

so did you run 100 % vineger ?? like you poured in gallons of the stuff straight ?? not that i think its wrong to do so im just asking so i can do it to . kinda like monkey hear monkey do
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Gary/IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
so did you run 100 % vineger ?? like you poured in gallons of the stuff straight ?? not that i think its wrong to do so im just asking so i can do it to . kinda like monkey hear monkey do
Yes, I did run straight white vinegar. Be very careful when you drain the radiator, do not let any of the solution that comes out get on any part of your car. Fabricate some sort of drain system that will divert the water away from your car and into a container.

I did get a little on the concrete drive and didn't get is hosed of before it dried, it now seems to be a permanent stain .

Last edited by Gary/IA; 02-19-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: After the vinegar, I flushed the system with soda water.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote