Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
Ford1930

Default 1929 tailpipe clamp picture

I would like to see a picture of the 1929 tail pipe clamp fitted to a 1929 Model A. Who can supply one? I am not familiar with the correct way to mount it.
Ford1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: 1929 tailpipe clamp picture

Bolted to lower inside frame rail in hole provided. There were two different clamps as shown. Bob Bidonde did this illustration in the Judging Standards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1160024.jpg (41.6 KB, 161 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
katy

Remember that the "clamp" is not designed to hold the tail pipe rigid, it should be a sliding fit to allow for expansion/contraction of the pipe.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
1955cj5

This is from the Service Bulletins.

Seems they recommended moving the clamp mounting hole when the new style clamp was fitted...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler clamp.JPG (79.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Remember that the "clamp" is not designed to hold the tail pipe rigid, it should be a sliding fit to allow for expansion/contraction of the pipe.
Yeah, and the darn thing squeaks and rattles too.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
CC-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Yeah, and the darn thing squeaks and rattles too.
Well Bill, mine rattles too. And before reading this, it was on my list of things to do...tighten it up.
So is there anything that can be wrapped around the pipe inside clamp to quiet it down? Anyone found anything successful for this?
CC-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-Mo View Post
Well Bill, mine rattles too. And before reading this, it was on my list of things to do...tighten it up.
So is there anything that can be wrapped around the pipe inside clamp to quiet it down? Anyone found anything successful for this?
I was being driven nuts by the rattle back there so I decided to have a squizz at it early on in my A ownership. It was immediately obvious to me that if it were tight, it wouldn't allow the pipe to move as it expanded and would therefore contribute to the common problem of a bent exhaust manifold.
I used a longer bolt and put a spacer on it to stop the clamp even going close to closing. That left about a 3 mm around the pipe. I taped a layer of cling wrap to the pipe and held it central in the clamp with some pine wedges. I then filled the gap with silicone and let it cure. The silicone easily handles the modest temperatures reached back there but it does get hot enough to destroy the cling wrap. The pipe now slides silently in a sleeve of silicone.
I had to redo it after about 10,000 miles but the redo was no more than another piece of clingwrap (paper will do) and fresh silicone.
I've done that now on all of my As but I'm considering using a more modern "rubber" mount to hang the pipe on so it can move but not bounce about.
Obviously, my cars are drivers, not show cars
Old 10-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
jb-ob

ERRR ? Read the first line in the Service Bulletins on p.327 regarding the tail pipe clamp....."To hold the muffler outlet pipe more rigidly and insure a tighter clamp on the pipe".

I've recently had more than enough 'get out & unders' attempting to install a quality 1928 -29 tail pipe clamp on a similar quality muffler. Spreading the clamp with a chisel will get the clamp in place but the instant the chisel is removed the clamp locks onto the tail pipe, NO moving or twisting.

Hopefully your 'experience' will vary ...#%&#$^%
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #9
Ford1930

Thank You All for the information given! Most helpful.
Ford1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
ERRR ? Read the first line in the Service Bulletins on p.327 regarding the tail pipe clamp....."To hold the muffler outlet pipe more rigidly and insure a tighter clamp on the pipe".

I've recently had more than enough 'get out & unders' attempting to install a quality 1928 -29 tail pipe clamp on a similar quality muffler. Spreading the clamp with a chisel will get the clamp in place but the instant the chisel is removed the clamp locks onto the tail pipe, NO moving or twisting.

Hopefully your 'experience' will vary ...#%&#$^%
I think the tech writer (or whatever they were called back then) had nothing better to do and got it wrong and on top of that I disagree with drilling extra holes in the frame. Common sense concerning metal expanding and contracting with heat IMO invalidates this Service bulletin. Service bulletins should be an improvement and I can't see what this improves other than a little Model A noise. There is too much weight on the long arm of the exhaust pipe and muffler to not cause eventual manifold to tailpipe connection and sagging problems without a rear support of some kind that is flexible not solid. SB Fig. 1139 page 550 indicates to me that tailpipe and manifold problems may be related and neither is really addressed with a suitable long term fix.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 10-25-2020 at 07:32 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
rotorwrench

I installed an STC muffler kit on a helicopter that was not originally designed to have anything other then a basic open header on each side. They used flexible piping and standard clamps to hold the muffler to the frame. I ended up purchasing a fiberglass tape like webbing and I used that under both clamps all the way around . It doesn't last forever but it keeps the muffler from chaffing and moving around in the clamps making noises.

Something like this may help with the tail pipe clamp. My Ford 850 tractor has enough joints in the pipe to help with the expansion so it doesn't seem to affect the clamps on it all that much. Of course a tractor is loud enough that you don't really notice any noises all that much.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
jb-ob

If one was to throw away the Service Bulletins, would the car be restored or just another hamstered hot rod ?

Fifty plus years in the Model A hobby, I realize we grossly over estimate our own abilities while completely underestimate the talent that designed & build these magnificent automobiles.

Wish I could say same for repo parts.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote