Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
ricconhan

Default Black gummy sludge in intake ports

First off, thanks for letting me join.

Tinkering with my new-to-me 1930 A, my carb float had a crack in it so I decided to put rebuild kit in it, while I was at it decided to replace intake and exhaust gaskets, suspected a vacuum leak and thought I would start here. When I removed the manifolds the exhaust ports looked great, but the intakes had a lot of black gummy residue, my question is are the valves going to look similar and what do you old timers suggest.
ricconhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Black gummy sludge in intake ports

They will probably look the same. The likely cause is just from lack of running time, i.e. too many short trips so the engine not getting warmed up enough. I would clean the ports as well as you can and don't worry about it. A 180 degree thermostat would help, and maybe use of some Marvel Mystery Oil or gas preservative in the tank.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
ricconhan

Thanks for the reply Jim, I kinda thought the same, but always like advice even at 66 years young and been shade treeing all my life. I got the car June 19th and the guy that had it, bought it to flip it 2 years ago and only drove it about 20 miles in that time, I've driven it at least that much everyday since bringing it home, bought it to drive not look at. Just been on shorter trips (10-15 miles away) for a while till I get all the bugs worked out and it's a good thing because last Friday I went about 12-14 miles to visit a friend and on the return trip it started to flood out, got her home tore the carb apart and discovered a crack in the float, good reason to rebuild it I figured, and while I was at it I wanted to see the condition of my intake and exhaust gaskets and they were fine, no problem I'm putting new in and now I know. Seems to be a great little car so far. I've had a love for the A Model all my life and as a youngster would scour shelter-belts and groves looking for rusty gold, I always thought I struck gold if I could find anything A related, always wanted to build and restore an old one but never had the money, then got married and life happened, now I decided to buy one ready to drive with just the normal tinkering to keep it up. When I fill up with gas ( our local station has regular unleaded w/o ethanol ) I've been adding 4 oz. MMO, and 4 oz. Seafoam to maybe help clean it up a bit.

Last edited by ricconhan; 06-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Ernie Vitucci

Just a thought...but I'd just replace the float and see if all is well. Lots of the modern replacement parts are less than wonderful...Replace on thing at a time and observe the way the car behaves...If you change lots of things at once and the result is a surprise...it can be hard to figure out 'What the Hell Happened'. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I add 1 oz Seafoam per gal. at every fill up. seems to keep things clean. I also shut off the gas and run the the carb M/T when parked.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
ricconhan

Hard to argue with that advice Ernie, have given many times myself, but need to hear it also.
As well as when someone says there is something wrong with it, my response is "what's the last thing you messed with or replaced".
Old 06-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
Patrick L.

I too am thinking it was probably the 'sunk' float especially if the engine is using a little oil. Just clean it up and see what happens. What does a compression test have to say ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
ricconhan

Patrick, I just dug out my old snap-on compression tester and was going to do that this afternoon. Thanks.

Last edited by ricconhan; 06-28-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Renner's Corner is one oft he better places to buy Carb Parts - they flow test their Jets before shipping. Many places have parts/jets that are not correct causing teh engine to run lean or most commonly rich.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
ricconhan

Thanks for the info on Renner's Corner, He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

I just started using MMO, after a valve stuck open on my old tractor, and let a push-rod pop out of place. Now it runs good until it get hot, about 1 hours use, then I have to open the main jet about 1/4 turn. Not exactly sure of the problem, still working on it.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote