Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
WILLIE

Default Black '29??

I have a '29 "blind-back". It was originaly rock moss and vagabond green. I understand that the a's did not come in black until '31. But, i want to know if there were any black '29s, special order. Could a person order one in black from the factory in '29? Anyone know for sure?
WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Grapejuice

Default Re: Black '29??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIE View Post
I have a '29 "blind-back". It was originaly rock moss and vagabond green. I understand that the a's did not come in black until '31. But, i want to know if there were any black '29s, special order. Could a person order one in black from the factory in '29? Anyone know for sure?
I wasn't aware of black not being available until '31.
As I sanded down the 12-15 coats of paint on my '29 Special Coupe, I would have sworn the last color was black.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
MCHinson

From a quick scan of the Paint and Finish Guide, I think that Black was only available in 1928 or 1929 for Commercial Vehicles and Town Cars. There are quite a few listings for Black for 1930 and 1931.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Steve Ciccalone

Black was available all four years although not advertised in '28 and '29. The MAFCA Paint and Finish Guide, Rev 3, states this. By '29, fordors, particularly those supplied by Briggs and Murray, could well have been black. Keep your wheels black as original in 1929 and IMO you will have a stunning car when it's finished.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Bill Goddard

My '29 came all black but it was repainted sometime in its past and I really liked the solid black color. However I am going to go for the Rose Beige and darker trim with a black top. I read somewhere that black was available for early cars but not advertised much.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Mountain Dew

Page 109 of the "Model A Ford As Henry Built it" lists Fordor Sedan exterior colors. It has Body Lower black, Body Upper black, Reveal black and Stripe French Gray. It has an asterisk beside French Gray that indicates dropped September 1929. I'm not sure if it means that the French Gray stripe was dropped or black on black was dropped.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
WILLIE

Great to hear guys... Though i think the original rock moss and vagabond green are beautiful colors, there is just something about black (when it is done well) that just knocks me smooth out. I had planned on painting it the original green. Until last night while watching a barrett-jackson re-run, they sold john dillingers old black '30 coupe. Man, under those lights... Anyone who saw it, would not fault me for going with black. I just wanted to use a color that is correct. Thanks for the info...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
glenn in camino

I restored my all black 29 coupe in 1977-78 and trailered it to Dearborn/Greenfield Village for the 1978 MARC National. I got a second in class but won the Ditzler best paint award. To this day it's my most treasured award because I painted it myself including the french gray stripe. It's acrylic lacquer and I painted it on my driveway and my patio. I sold it once but bought it back a couple of years ago. It got a first place last summer in Vancouver. A few months ago I installed an aluminum fan and a CB radio and have been driving it on club tours since. It now has 1744 miles on it since 1978.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Bill Goddard

I'm not done yet. I've been watching model A's for 50 yrs in black and white movies,newsreels, etc. To me a model A IS black and I am having trouble accepting any other color. If you like black it will look great.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

When I got my September 1929 Standard Coupe from my farmer friend, the coupe was BLACK AS BLACK could be an not the very dark Andalusite Blue.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I restored my all black 29 coupe in 1977-78 and trailered it to Dearborn/Greenfield Village for the 1978 MARC National. I got a second in class but won the Ditzler best paint award. To this day it's my most treasured award because I painted it myself including the french gray stripe. It's acrylic lacquer and I painted it on my driveway and my patio. I sold it once but bought it back a couple of years ago. It got a first place last summer in Vancouver. A few months ago I installed an aluminum fan and a CB radio and have been driving it on club tours since. It now has 1744 miles on it since 1978.
Man thats great to hear. I love when someone is not afraid to paint there own car, in there driveway at that. It's good to know it turned out good enough for awards. I'm painting mine in a (barn) shop with no downdraft, climate controlled, booth. May use base coat clear coat though.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Aerocraft

I have a '29 Murray Town Sedan that was, without question, originally black (all over). The pinstripe was French Gray with a gray check interior. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
Special Coupe Frank

I would think that black was available, although after nearly 20 years of "any color want so long as it's black" with the Model T, Ford wasn't going to push black as a selling point.

Was black available only as special order for '28-'29, or did some "just come that way" ?
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by special coupe frank View Post
i would think that black was available, although after nearly 20 years of "any color want so long as it's black" with the model t, ford wasn't going to push black as a selling point.

Was black available only as special order for '28-'29, or did some "just come that way" ?
yeah that's what i want to know. I learned a long time ago never say never about any old cars. A few times i've met people that own a car that doesn't exist. Go figure... That said, sure someone could special-order a certain color. But did they simply paint some '29's black, and send 'em on down the line. I'm sure there was plenty of black paint left over from the t era.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
thebanjoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIE View Post
yeah that's what i want to know. I learned a long time ago never say never about any old cars. A few times i've met people that own a car that doesn't exist. Go figure... That said, sure someone could special-order a certain color. But did they simply paint some '29's black, and send 'em on down the line. I'm sure there was plenty of black paint left over from the t era.
I tried to see if I could find another color under the paint in our '29 and couldn't find one.

Wish I could find out what the original color is supposed to be if it's not black.

Maybe.. One day...
thebanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
1931 flamingo

Thebanjoman: Very nice looking coupe. I'd be tempted to leave as is. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Special Coupe Frank

"Wish I could find out what the original color is supposed to be if it's not black."

In the same boat with my '28 Special Coupe. It's presently wearing a coat of
"quickie black". Under that seems to be orange primer.

I did find some blue around the quarter window reveal that might be Hessian or Duchess Blue...

What are some good places to search on a coupe that would be an undisturbed painted area ?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Scott NY

Look under the data plate on the firewall
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
thebanjoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Thebanjoman: Very nice looking coupe. I'd be tempted to leave as is. JMO
Paul in CT
That photo was 3 years and a thousand pieces ago...

Maybe.. One day...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
Special Coupe Frank

Banjoman,

Is your coupe a "Standard Coupe" or a "Special Coupe" ?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #21
thebanjoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Banjoman,

Is your coupe a "Standard Coupe" or a "Special Coupe" ?
I believe it to be a Standard. I've not educated myself enough yet to know the difference.

The headlights and bar in the photo are '32 with a sealed beam kit. The '29 headlights and bar are going back on when it gets put back together. The Front fenders are fiberglass.

From what I can tell all paint is black and haven't been able to find any other color except for the red/orange primer underneath.

Maybe.. One day...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
Tinker

Frank I removed the interior panels of my doors it relieved a copria drab. It was all painted at one time right at the factory right? They didn't paint interiors different then the exteriors in 28-29', did they?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
"Wish I could find out what the original color is supposed to be if it's not black."

In the same boat with my '28 Special Coupe. It's presently wearing a coat of
"quickie black". Under that seems to be orange primer.

I did find some blue around the quarter window reveal that might be Hessian or Duchess Blue...

What are some good places to search on a coupe that would be an undisturbed painted area ?
Someone painted my 29 Tudor an ugly lime green over the entire outside and gas tank.They were too lazy to remove the door handles, so I found the original ROSE BEIGE and orange pinstripe under the door handles. There was also much rose beige under the rear seat from the factory overspray. The car came with no upholstery and the whole inside had a lot of rose beige overspray.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
Special Coupe Frank

"I believe it to be a Standard. I've not educated myself enough yet to know the difference."

Standard Coupe had metal around the rear window down to the belt moulding.

Special Coupe was made from June '28 thru June '29 (replacing the Standard Coupe for that period) , and had the soft roof material all the way down below the rear window to the belt line.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 12-29-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
thebanjoman

Quote:
"I believe it to be a Standard. I've not educated myself enough yet to know the difference."

Standard Coupe had metal around the rear window down to the belt moulding.

Special Coupe was made from 'June '28 thru June '29 (replacing the Standard Coupe for that period) , and had the soft roof material all the way down below the rear window to the belt line.
Then it is a Standard Coupe. Its a little hard to see in this photo but metal around the rear window.

Black everywhere I've looked.

Maybe.. One day...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanjoman View Post
then it is a standard coupe. Its a little hard to see in this photo but metal around the rear window.

black everywhere i've looked.
nice ride... I would for sure go back black with the restoration... Some white walls... Ol' gibsons and model a's... Living the life... Huh!