Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Gary/IA

Default What misfortune can bring.

Driving down a street in our 55+ retirement community, my '29 Tudor suddenly died as if I had turned the switch off. I had time to get my test light out and determine there was no fire getting to the points before the elderly crowd began gathering around.

I soon was besieged with questions, suggestions, and offers of help. I tell you, it was just so fun to step back, lean against the car and enjoy watching and listening. I listened to so many reminiscences and adventures of my crowd. One fellow asked, "do you know anyone that can fix it"?, I told him that "hopefully that would be me".

After about 1/2 hour the crowd dwindled and I found the broken wire terminal on the coil, fixed it and away I went. I hadn't anticipated that a little misfortune could provide so much entertainment to so many.

I love my Model A!
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Paul from Maine

Default Re: What misfortune can bring.

I had just finished installing my motor after a professional rebuild. It was threatening rain, but I wanted to try the motor in my Model A Town Sedan. It quit after about 16 miles. I pulled over to the side and in about five minutes I had a '55 Chevy, a 2009 Mustang GT and a van pulled over with the drivers all offering to help. The first thing the Mustang driver said was that the points must have closed up. He was absolutely right. He was about seventy years old and I later saw him at a cruise night in a Model A with his ninety year old dad. Anyways, I readjusted the points and off I went. What a great hobby we have!
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Doug in NJ

Last weekend, I decided ty try a 14 mile (each way) trip to New Hope, PA. On the way back I started seeing (and smelling) oily smoke coming out from the hood. I pulled over and discovered that the bolt holding the lower end of the oil return pipe had loosened, and the dripping oil was getting blown back onto the exhaust pipe. I quickly tightened the bolt and found that I had lost only a little oil, so I was back on my way in a few minutes. But nobody stopped...

Doug
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NJ View Post
I quickly tightened the bolt and found that I had lost only a little oil, so I was back on my way in a few minutes. But nobody stopped...
because you're in NJ?

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
gweilbaker

"Driving down a street in our 55+ retirement community"

Something about 55 and retirement I just can't wrap my noodle around.

Ain't going to be me 4-sure.

GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Richard Wilson

Great job guys! Sounds like you have the right attitude about the minor inconvience of breaking down in your Model A's. Personally, I think it is part of the Model A's charm just to keep things interesting. I have witnessed others that got so mad at their Model A breaking down that they went completely stupid.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
1928Pickuppain

Two Octobers ago i was with my buddys Scott and Dougal in my gradge sitting around playing some poker my xgf was there as well. On late mights like these we useuraly decide wee need more beer and food, so me and scott decided to hit up the Liquor store and then McDonalds were driveing though this large plaza parking lot on the way to the Mcy DS after picking up the beer all ready when all of the sudden my old girl just quits. im sitting there trying to figure out why and a man with an f 250 pulls up, he had a trailer attached to it with a 1100lb pumpkin i have never seen a pumpkin so big in my life literally i could have carved this thing out and played poker inside. had a few laughs shared a few beers in the parking lot and talked about gient pumpkins had to get toed home that night and when my girl friend came to puck me up she ran over my foot in the jeep (i was rather mad) the next day i came out to see what was wrong with the A and she started right up no problems never did it again.so beats me (SO you All know I was sober every one elce was drunk well besides the guy with the pumpkin they were coming back after winning blue ribbin in the Topsfaild or Fyburg fair
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX View Post
because you're in NJ?

Sounds about right...
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
theHIGHLANDER

In my youth, I was riding in my 1st 34 Packard. Dad had several Model As at different times but this was different and hooked me for life. I'm still in love with Henry"s Lady, but why mention the Packard? Some uninformed southern gent said to my Dad at the filling station, "Daaym Jocko, that's biggest A Model I ever seen!" It's funny, I can see his face in my memory as I type this.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote