Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Richard Lorenz

Default Polishing aluminum

I have heard that some people could polish aluminum reproduction Model A parts so that they passed for the original stainless steel. The piece around the horn button comes to mind. My current need is to clean up some aluminum Chevelle grill parts for which a buffing wheel could probably not be used. Any suggestions for hand cleaning them? They do not need to have a mirror-bright surface. Thanks.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: Polishing aluminum

I may be wrong but I think the Chevelle aluminum trip pieces are anodized making them difficult to re-polish.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lorenz View Post
I have heard that some people could polish aluminum reproduction Model A parts so that they passed for the original stainless steel. The piece around the horn button comes to mind. My current need is to clean up some aluminum Chevelle grill parts for which a buffing wheel could probably not be used. Any suggestions for hand cleaning them? They do not need to have a mirror-bright surface. Thanks.
The color and % reflectivity(brightness) of SS and polished aluminum are very different.

That Chevelle Aluminum grille was hard anodized. Anodizing molecularly bonds a sapphire (Al2O3) coating with a surface hardness of 9 Mohs on the part. Second in hardness to diamond. Good luck trying to cut through it!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
28RPU

You can remove the anodizing by putting the aluminum trim in a solution of lye and water. It will bubble and fizz while the anodizing is being dissolved. Then you can wash it off and buff it on a polishing wheel. But the lye and water will completely dissolve the aluminum if you don't watch it. Just watch while it "cooks". And the gas it puts off is highly flammable.

I have also heard of using a strong oven cleaner to remove anodizing.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

I am told that more than one high point cabriolet/ A400 has a polished aluminum frame to look like chrome.

Since the windows are not opened during judging you can not tell it is aluminum.

Again, I am only told this. I do not know if it is factual.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Fordors

The magnet doesn't lie; maybe F/P judges need them.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Richard Lorenz

My Chevelle is a '64 (the first year for Chevelle), and the aluminum is not anodized.

My personal opinion on fine point judging is that it should be relaxed because of the rarity of good original parts. I suggest a 2-foot rule so that if a part appears to be original at that distance, it should be accepted. When I first helped with fine point judging as an assistant, there were 50 or more cars entered. Now it seems that there might be only 15 in the fine point class.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lorenz View Post
My personal opinion on fine point judging is that it should be relaxed because of the rarity of good original parts. I suggest a 2-foot rule so that if a part appears to be original at that distance, it should be accepted. When I first helped with fine point judging as an assistant, there were 50 or more cars entered. Now it seems that there might be only 15 in the fine point class.
Maybe they could introduce a two foot class. Even though I'll never enter fine point myself, allowing repro parts to be judged as original severley disadvantages the entrant who has gone to great lengths and expense to get an original part and restore it correctly. It's a difficult class, and should not be compromised. It is no different to changing rules in sport because a weaker team wants to win.
If you can't cut it, don't complain, train.
The last comment is not a personal attack on you Richard, just a statement I heard years ago.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote