Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Bursonaw

Default Elderbrock Slingshot Vs Eddie Myers Manifold

The Elderbrock slingshot and Eddie Myers exhaust heated high rise manifold are both being reproduced. Has anyone run either of theses manifolds and I was wondering if there has ever been a comparison on performance and street drivability? I’d like to hear your experience in running either manifold?

Elderbrock Slingshot

Eddie Myers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Elderbrock Slingshot Vs Eddie Myers Manifold

They're both excellent manifolds - and I've ran both on various engines. What I have NOT done is ever compare the two on the same engine on the dyno. It would be a fun exercise for sure.

My guess is that the Edelbrock is probably a more 'balanced' intake - given the port/runner arrangement, but I must say that my heavily ported EM runs extremely well on my 284 cube stroker motor (with a huge roller cam in it). I've dramatically ported it - top to bottom - and I do appreciate the fact that I can get into the internals of the EM and do a lot of heavy work . . . so that is good.

The Eddy is a lit more constricted as far as full-runner porting - but not bad by any means. In "as-cast" form, I would bet the Slingshot is a better manifold - so consider that in your mix. I do think the EM is the best looking hi-rise two-carb manifold ever made - it is truly a work of HotRod Art!

Here is a link to my engine (with the EM on it) - on a chassis dyno last week. I ran it up to 5600 RPM in third.

https://youtu.be/BIP-62vgtuw

Here is a picture of the engine:

13719494_10153740475862864_8626741441507731759_o copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
tomkowal

I have an original slingshot for sale in the swap meet section...............
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
They're both excellent manifolds - and I've ran both on various engines. What I have NOT done is ever compare the two on the same engine on the dyno. It would be a fun exercise for sure.

My guess is that the Edelbrock is probably a more 'balanced' intake - given the port/runner arrangement, but I must say that my heavily ported EM runs extremely well on my 284 cube stroker motor (with a huge roller cam in it). I've dramatically ported it - top to bottom - and I do appreciate the fact that I can get into the internals of the EM and do a lot of heavy work . . . so that is good.

The Eddy is a lit more constricted as far as full-runner porting - but not bad by any means. In "as-cast" form, I would bet the Slingshot is a better manifold - so consider that in your mix. I do think the EM is the best looking hi-rise two-carb manifold ever made - it is truly a work of HotRod Art!

Here is a link to my engine (with the EM on it) - on a chassis dyno last week. I ran it up to 5600 RPM in third.

Attachment 363512
Well, how did it do? I couldn't make out the numbers on the computer. Sounds like it's got 1,000 HP!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Bursonaw

Quote:

Attachment 363512

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the EM manifold sure makes a flathead into a work of art. I’m also curious as to how much HP your 32 had to the ground?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

At the rear wheels it was about 150 HP - which equates to about 180 or so at the crank. The engine could really use more carbs or bigger carbs (like a 4-pot manifold), but I'm trying to keep the EM manifold on it and maintain the early 40's style look.

I have a spare EM riser that I'm going to port out and see what a couple of Holley 2110 carbs will do, they supposedly flow about 40 cfm more than the Strombergs that are on it. They may help some, but it is still less than it needs (I used to run 3 of them on a 284 cube engine with a much smaller cam and ports) . . . maybe a couple of 'Big 97's'.

It is a really fun engine just the way it is - so this is just me screwing around. First, I need to put a new rear end in it and get it back on the dang road. It sucks to break stuff in the middle of Summer. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
At the rear wheels it was about 150 HP - which equates to about 180 or so at the crank. The engine could really use more carbs or bigger carbs (like a 4-pot manifold), but I'm trying to keep the EM manifold on it and maintain the early 40's style look.

I have a spare EM riser that I'm going to port out and see what a couple of Holley 2110 carbs will do, they supposedly flow about 40 cfm more than the Strombergs that are on it. They may help some, but it is still less than it needs (I used to run 3 of them on a 284 cube engine with a much smaller cam and ports) . . . maybe a couple of 'Big 97's'.

It is a really fun engine just the way it is - so this is just me screwing around. First, I need to put a new rear end in it and get it back on the dang road. It sucks to break stuff in the middle of Summer. LOL
Good luck with it! I’m sure it’s a blast. I’m really curious out those Big 97’s as well.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
First, I need to put a new rear end in it and get it back on the dang road. It sucks to break stuff in the middle of Summer. LOL
I thought breaking stuff was what hot rodding was all about!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Bursonaw

Getting back to the original post, anyone have any experience on the Slingshot manifold?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Talkwrench

Yes.. The slingshot on my standard but very healthy 21 stud. Personally for me its a bit of a pain as I drive [almost] daily and it doesn't run well until the engine is up to temperature, at temperature its fine, cold its a pig. So don't cover the heat risers. Performance.. well the bottom end is not as good but you would expect that with twice as much carb as you need, mid - top range its got a bit of punch but it aint 'all that' .. Again personally I cant rave about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 AM   #11
Ritzy1

I went with the Edelbrock. Just putting the finishing touches on the motor before it goes in the car, so I can't tell you how it performs yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine assembly underway.jpg (41.5 KB, 106 views)
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
HotRodmicky

EM has exhaust Gases up the runners, the Slingshot doesnt.
Good for cold start , not so good for a hot engine.
You want a cold intake charge ....

I dont think there is a performance difference on a small engine.
EM is better because of the heated runner for daily driving
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Bursonaw

Thanks to everyone for there posts. Sounds to me that each has there own minor shortcomings. I did go with the Slingshot, mostly for price and that I did not need to change my generator out. Hot Rod magazine did do a nice write up on the Slingshot, but it did not talk about the drivability of the manifold.

I have not run mine on the road as of yet just a test run around the block. Once I finish rebuilding the front axle then hopefully I can put some miles on it then.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
Ritzy1

Looks nice! Did you plumb your intake for power brakes like I did?
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Bursonaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzy1 View Post
Looks nice! Did you plumb your intake for power brakes like I did?

Thanks, I drilled a port in the intake for the vacuum shift on the Columbia Overdrive.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #16
Pete

I had a high Meyer on a slightly modified 221 once.
I changed to an Idlerbrock Super and thought I had bolted on 4 more cylinders.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I had a high Meyer on a slightly modified 221 once.
I changed to an Idlerbrock Super and thought I had bolted on 4 more cylinders.
Interesting. I've also heard that the Edlebrock Super's are good runners as well. I've got one that came with real nice billet 3" risers as well. According to JWL's flow bench testing, risers seem to help out even mores so.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #18
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bursonaw View Post
Thanks to everyone for there posts. Sounds to me that each has there own minor shortcomings. I did go with the Slingshot, mostly for price and that I did not need to change my generator out. Hot Rod magazine did do a nice write up on the Slingshot, but it did not talk about the drivability of the manifold.

I have not run mine on the road as of yet just a test run around the block. Once I finish rebuilding the front axle then hopefully I can put some miles on it then.

Keep a eye on those red fuel lines.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
40 Deluxe

How about milling up some custom carb spacers with water passages to provide the needed carb heat? Just a few minutes idling would provide some heat to help with fuel vaporization and prevent cylinder wash down (plus get some needed drivability back). For warmer days or longer trips, add a water shut off valve.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
How about milling up some custom carb spacers with water passages to provide the needed carb heat? Just a few minutes idling would provide some heat to help with fuel vaporization and prevent cylinder wash down (plus get some needed drivability back). For warmer days or longer trips, add a water shut off valve.

That's thinkin'...