Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
svmsr1044

Default Radio noise suppression spark plug wires

Are modern type radio noise suppression spark plug wires OK for a stock 8ba flathead engine??? Maybe Bubba can chime in on this one.
Thanks, Steve
svmsr1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Radio noise suppression spark plug wires

Yes. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

My understanding was that they had too much resistance for a 6 v system. I saw a club member's car that had a weak yellow spark at the plug wire end to head nut, and after swapping out to Packard 440 wire, and changing nothing else had a good blue spark and the engine ran much better.
That is my only direct experience with the carbon impregnated thread type "wires". Maybe in a 12 v system it makes no difference.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

There should not be any issues with modern 'SPIRO-WOUND' wires as there were with the old carbon core wires.
That is what I am using.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
drolston

Ditto on the Spiro type plug wires, which are required on a Pertronix ignition. Big blue spark and no AM radio interference at all.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Drbrown

??? The common copper plug wires never bothered my Pentronix ignition. Only thing that did was an alternator that decided to put out more than 15-16 volts = sudden death.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
??? The common copper plug wires never bothered my Pentronix ignition. Only thing that did was an alternator that decided to put out more than 15-16 volts = sudden death.
When in doubt, read the (Pertronix) instructions.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Drbrown

Car came to me that way years ago so I was never privy to any instructions. As noted, continued to work for me. Maybe Pentronix added that warning later on. Not saying its applicable to that party, but seems some manufacturer's "tighten their belt" to ward-off and deflect viable warranty claims.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION

WOW i could write a book on this subject , And we have it set for a section on our upcoming video sessions.
Any way heres the short version:
Once upon a time (heard that before ) before every household had electronic stuff all over the place , no rockets ships or satelites it didnt really mater if the ignition cable was noisy . I remember our first TV as a kid and every afternoon ( before my dad got home) I watched Mighty Mouse (try to save the day) and a old 56 Ford would drive by our house and mess up out TV , ruining a part of Mighty Mouse. Never knew if it was worn out generator or the plug wires!!!

A solid conductor wire conducts high voltage from end to end with a wide band frequency like a ocean wave. This wide band creates electrical noise that travels thru the air in some cases for a long ways. This creates a problem with any and all electronic products.

The first supression cable was a nylon center impregnated with bits of ground up glass and carbon. The electricity went from carbon ( a conductor) to the glass ( a non conductor) causing a filter effect that did away with the ocean wave of travel and created a smaller much more contained frequency wave form. This filtered out most if not all of the problem radio frequency.
This cable was used on all factory cars from the 70s onward . Consider problematic based on breakage due sometimes to heat and vibration and other time due to a serve tech jerking on it!
Todays supression cable is made in many variations like spiral wound , carbon centered etc. Marketing is big here for sure !!!!!

Suppression cable can be used on a flathead , A solid wire at idle may use 5000 volts based on compression, air fuel mixture. The same vehicle would still use 5000 volts with supression cable !!!!

Electrical fact: Secondary cable resistance doesnt have any effect on firing voltage !! Only open cables , and bad connections cause the cable to increase the voltage . Plug wire resistance of 1000 ohms per inch is the spec on come vehicles.

Resistor cable kills the famous "blue spark" making it appear orange !! Same with resistor spark plugs!

The cable doesnt care if the voltage is six or 12 volts works just the same.. a six volt car needs the same voltage to fire the plugs as a 12 volt car. Its just that the 12 volt car has more reserve voltage available compared to the six volt car..

Bottom line is that if you have a early Ford v8 with no electronics "use the solid wires . Last forever and you dont need to replace them hardly every.

This discussion could go on and on in regards to connectors , wire ends etc....should be enough to start a discussion as is

BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
vilanar

Thanks, Bubba ! I love your in depth explanations and your web site contains ton of information...
As side note , my 8BA came with newly installed copper wires and Pertronix , it did last one
summer ! Now I have spiral wounds and now problems since , but I carry points in glove box
just in case....
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
svmsr1044

Thank you Bubba and others who have responded to this thread. Question: can spiral wound wires be used for non HEI ignition systems???
Thanks, Steve
svmsr1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmsr1044 View Post
Thank you Bubba and others who have responded to this thread. Question: can spiral wound wires be used for non HEI ignition systems???
Thanks, Steve
Spiral wires can be used on anything!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote