Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #21
2manycars

Default Re: Is this a rich man's hobby?

It's all relative. Years ago, my father said a good restored model A was worth the price of a new ford. I think a new ford is more now. I am not rich by any stretch, but have 3 model As and several other cars. But I dont have a wife and the kids are grown, so I have more spare money than some. A model A is cheap fun. Try a corvette, or jag, or a vintage caddy or packard, or a boat or motorhome. We have it good. Plenty of parts available, plenty of people who know how to fix them, lots of fun for the buck.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Lot cheaper than horses, feed them, shoe them, house them, bury them.
Don't forget about the VET bills!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
cannon

try playing golf, fishing, hunting, maintain a pack of hunting dogs for a year, keep a couple of girl friends happy, stamp collecting,anything that is a hobby will cost $$$, no you do not have to be rich to own a model a. sure is cheaper than any of the above.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
Thom IV

I wouldn't call it a rich man's hobby. I've known several "working types" who have antique vehicles, (some of them Fords). I agree that it is cheaper to buy them restored than it is to have to pay the restoration expense. Being 'rich' would be a big benefit. FWIW
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Dick Deegan

Most of the people that I know that are in the Model A community are middle class from modest backgrounds.

However, I think that you become "rich" when you own a Model A and take the hobby seriously. Think about the satisfaction in actually getting something 80 years old to function properly, especially if you do it yourself, as I do. Think of the smiles and waves received every time you take your Model A for a drive. Think of the friends made that would not have otherwise been made were it not for the Model A. Think of all the great people met as a result of owning a Model A.

Definitely a rich man's hobby. However, you don't get rich until you own one.
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
30ccpickup

I don’t know if it is a rich man’s hobby or not, but I like and it is worth the cost no matter what. When I need to get away from the family I go out and work on it. When I want to be with the family, I pull it out of the barn and we all go for a drive. It keeps my hands and my mind busy. I bet people spend more on beer, cigarettes, and/or psychiatrist than I do on my Model A.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
peters180a/170b

All very good points ... 30ccpickup [people spend more money on cigarettes] .I never did smoke and a pack here $8.50 to $10.00 . There's a $4.60 tax per pack in N.Y.now and as of Sept. 1 going up. A person smokes 1 pack a day. $70.00+ aweek. That's $3,640.00 per year which goes up in smoke. I tell them My "A"- at least i have something to show for it. If you put it that way it is cheaper to own a Model "A"...Cannon -keep 1 girlfriend happy its cheaper that way. and safe...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
Paul from Maine

Just drove two hundred miles today in the Model A with my three year old daughter in the front seat and my girlfriend riding in back (no seatbelts in back so three year old's car seat needs to be belted in up front). Spent about thirty dollars on gas, six bucks on oil and two dollars in tolls. Not bad for a jaunt to the beach and back.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
zzlegend

Does this look like i am rich? Dont think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1015050.JPG (187.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1015052.JPG (195.0 KB, 41 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #30
antiquepa

Try Golf, or any other hobby, IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU...WHAT YOU WANT, i Know people who golf and spend tons of money, what do they have to show...a bag of golf clubs and balls and a poor day at playing golf...at least I come home with my model A. You have do do something with your money, if its in a bank you get hardly nothing for it, I for one at least do enjoy my model A. If your lucky enough to have a decent job you can afford a model A..its your choice, spend it on whatever you want and enjoy life..Its getting shorter every day..Im not a rich man nor do I concider myself poor..I have my health, my better half, my kids and my grand children..and my model A. how lucky!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #31
30 Tudor and Coupe

I tell people that having a Model A (or two) just proves there are some of us who have just a little more time and money than we know what we HAVE to do with it. Very few of us attempt to make money on our cars and, for most of us, the enjoyment is in working on them on a budget rather than bragging how much we have invested (poor word choice, spent is more like it). I tell people that if you do not enjoy the process of fixing one up and maintaining it, go buy a finished one. If my only enjoyment was having the best on tours & cruise nights, that is not a hobby but rather a competition. I dislike judged events since they encourage competition and discourage comradship and sharing. I take the same position with my cars as with my farm tractors. None were prima donas in their working years and have every right to look very presentable but also the right to show a few scars from their working days. I don't plan to have plastic surgery to eliminate my honest scars and don't expect my vehicles to be different.

I believe that most in this fine hobby feel much the same way. I do enjoy seeing a fine restoration and appreciate the effort it required.
30 Tudor and Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #32
Chris in WNC

Default it's ALL relative.....

most people think "rich" starts at approximately twice their own net worth.

this week I saw a bumper sticker "the best things in life are not things"

when I bought my first A for $3200 in 1986, a friend from work saw it in our garage and asked "whats that worth, about 20 grand?" I immediately asked if he wanted to buy it (he didn't).

on our way to French Lick this summer a pair of good old boys in south Georgia were admiring our Town Sedan (20-year old restoration but still looks good) and speculated that it was worth $200,000. I suggested to them they have been watching too much Barrett-Jackson........
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #33
roccaas

I am constantly amazed at how many wealthy men collect A's. They could afford Packards, Caddys, some even Deuseys, but they like the simplicity and usefulness of the A.

Many of them spend far more than the more pedestrian of us (Hydraulic brakes, 12V conversions, immaculate paint, tranny, overdrive, solid state ignition, powder coating) and many go for the "rarer" A (A400, 180A, etc.), but they still pull the A out of the garage for a spin before the Muscle Car, Shelby, Vette, or other collector car.

I've got some acquaintances who invented money who are happy to show their collection (usually 3 to 5 A's) and many are happy with a nice Roadster, a Tudor or Fordor, and a Pickup (and you could eat off the floor of the garage)!

With the market on A's being firmly in control of the buyers, and an almost endless source of parts, it should remain one of the most economical and enjoyable of the motor/collectible hobbies.

You want something expensive, try old BMW's. Next to boating, that is a hole in the water in which one pours money!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #34
Droobie

My Tudor is by far not a blue ribbon car but it is a family Heirloom and will continue to be so. I have a couple before and after pictures of my car in my album. I have been keeping tabs on what i have spent from the start of this project and have not spent but 3767.43 including all of my shipping. I have done every bit of work myself on this car. Alot of the work done has been my first time doing anything of this nature. The paint and body work took 6 months to complete ( No bondo by the way). It is by no means a "Rich mans hobby". A rich man can get into this hobby very easily but he wont have the same connection to or love for his or her car like I have or anyone that has done their car by them selves. I am barely 25 years of age so i throw that demogragh off just a little bit... LOL

Drew
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
Tinker

Interestingly enough unemployment was never higher than 9% during 'The Great Depression' ."

My understanding is the great depressions had an unemployment of 25%... and everyday people would feed and house a stranger. Today I would be a bit weary of housing a stranger but have helped people in need.

We have all help our fellow man, I have no doubts.

The economy is strong and will only get stronger when we start building products again. It's what we do, and we do it well.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #36
Bassman/NZ

It's as expensive as you want it to be. If money is not a problem, go out and buy new parts from Snyders, Macs etc. If money is tight, scrounge, trawl the swap meets etc. The only real difference is time. If you want it done now... it costs. If time is immaterial and you have patience and the willpower to walk away from overpiced items, then it can be done relatively cheaply.
Doing everything yourself is the other way to keep it cheap. Cant weld? Learn. Cant spraypaint? Learn. Same goes for wiring, upholstery, rebuilding trans and rear end etc. I've taught myself everything that can be done in a shed from economic necessity. I walk right past a swapmeet item that's overpriced, even if I want it badly (well.... most of the time... ).
Paying someone else to do work for you is not only very expensive, it means you dont have that huge satisfaction of knowing that you did it all youself. The smile you have on your face during that first ride in your chequebook car aint nothing to the cheshire cat grin you have in the car you built yourself! When I restored my 55 Plymouth Savoy I rebuilt the engine, front suspension, brakes, repaired the rust (there was lots!), rewired, upholstered, repaired the stainless trim and painted it all in my little shed. When I took it for it's first drive my faced ached for two days from the stupid grin on my face.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #37
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Interestingly enough unemployment was never higher than 9% during 'The Great Depression' ."

My understanding is the great depressions had an unemployment of 25%... and everyday people would feed and house a stranger. Today I would be a bit weary of housing a stranger but have helped people in need.

We have all help our fellow man, I have no doubts.

The economy is strong and will only get stronger when we start building products again. It's what we do, and we do it well.
Yep, more than 1 in 4 (men) was unemployed. Most Labor Dept. statistics before the War did not include women in the gross numbers because, well, that's just how things were. Women were included in the gross numbers from 1941 on because of War Production Mobilization and Rosie the Riveter.

When you look at the economic history of the 1930's it is a wonder that Henry sold 5 million A's, and could launch the Flathead era.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #38
Dan Baron

I'm with you Fred K. Money in the bank? maybe $1000. My house will be paid for in 8 years.Two model A's in the garage, all paid for. Ones very nice the other, a daily driver. I only spend money on them when I have it. But a wife and two girls who love me? Now that's priceless. I am a very rich man indeed.....
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #39
marc hildebrant

Interesting question......

I think that it's like most hobbies....you can spend what ever you want.
Today's "entrance fee" for a car in good condition seems to be between $10K to $20K.

I saved up for awhile to buy my car as I wanted one in good shape.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #40
Freddie (Memphis)

Below are my toys currently in my garage. I don't consider myself rich, by anyone's standard.

...but, the government seems to disagree...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPF770 at CMP #2 (50).JPG (21.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0881.jpg (106.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Dec 10 2008 023a.jpg (78.2 KB, 24 views)

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote