Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Icon problems

Over the time I have been involved in reading on ford barn I have come across some posts which are apparently suppose to be pictures but I am unable to click on these. The symbol is a blue block with a ? in the center.

I am presently reading some old posts dated 7/29/13 entitled "Making Wood Plans Available" in which - Brent in 10-uh-c - had this symbol in post #27.

My question: Why can I not double click on them to see the pictures?

Thanks to all.

Last edited by Cape Codder; 01-30-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Miss used word
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Icon problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Over the time I have been involved in reading on ford barn I have come across some posts which are apparently suppose to be pictures but I am unable to click on these. The symbol is a blue block with a ? in the center.

I am presently reading some old posts dated 7/29/13 entitled "Making Wood Plans Available" in which - Brent in 10-uh-c - had this symbol in post #27.

Thanks to all.
This is usually because someone has used a photo hosting service and instead of posting the photo on fordbarn they post the address where the photo is located. The service may change some of their address and fordbarn can't deal with the change. Alternatively the person may have rearranged (or deleted) his photos on the site giving them a new address. This shows the value of posting directly to fordbarn but people insist on using these sites claiming that they have never had a problem.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Cape Codder

So how did the other people get to see the pictures, they have "THE" service? And what is the service?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

All the info is right in the FAQ area
http://fordbarn.com/forum/faq.php?fa...b3_attachments
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Cape Codder

Mitch - I must be missing something in the FAQ area. No were can I see anything that answers my original question: "My question: Why can I not double click on them to see the pictures?"
Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Cape,
I went to the post your talking about and I can't see them either...
As charlie said they were posted through an outside picture host like photobucket and then removed by the same person.
If you post pictures directly to fordbarn without using the outside host they will always be there. I use photobucket only when I want the pictures to show very large. Otherwise I post directly to fordbarn which gives you the thumb nails to enlarge a little
Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Ron W

Cape Codder, I went to the post #27 you referred to and saw nothing. To me that means that the picture has since been removed. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

This picture is posted from photobucket

And this one is posted directly to fordbarn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Now if I remove the picture from my photbucket it will no longer show here on the barn.. You'll get the blank box...
But the thumbnail picture will stay cause it was posted directly to this sites from my computers picture gallery
Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I used to post the full size pictures until Photobucket changed, and now I can't use the site. I just post direct from my computer as Charlie and Mitch have mentioned.

To do that I make sure I have my pictures in a lower resolution so they will be able to post here. I then click on "Go Advanced" where I can then click on "Manage Attachments". A new small window appears where I can click on "Browse". Then I click on "Pictures", which is where I keep all my pictures in my computer. I then click on each picture I want to download (up to 7). I then click on "Upload" and wait for the pictures to upload. I'll know when this is done because the picture addresses will appear in the box. I can then click on the X in the upper right corner of this small window, so it will go away. I then come back to here and click on "Submit Reply", or "Preview Post" if I want to make sure it's ready to post.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
DougVieyra

I am sure that I am like many on Ford Barn, who are tech. challenge, and thus are limited to what we are able to post on the forum. So for that reason I appreciate that this post was a useful one for me and that the answer/solutions given were very helpful.

As I am working with a fading memory I may ask this question (and other tech. questions as well) again in the future. For example, I often see "LOL" - which I have no clue as to its meaning. There are other cryptic letters too, of which I am also ignorant. But this post's little 'seminar' is a good start to help me better utilize the full potential of the FORD BARN community.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Lol. Laughing out loud
You can also Google the abbreviations for what they mean
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #13
Quigley1930

Every photo I want to view I have to click on the thumbnail which then goes black with a little spoke wheel that revolves. I have to wait a few seconds then click on the black part and the larger photo appears.

Is this the way it's supposed to work

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
Every photo I want to view I have to click on the thumbnail which then goes black with a little spoke wheel that revolves. I have to wait a few seconds then click on the black part and the larger photo appears.

Is this the way it's supposed to work

Sewall Tyler
It didn't used to be that way, but that's exactly how it is for me also for the past several months.

BTW, when I got my first computer about 14 years ago I thought LOL meant Lots of Love.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:47 PM   #15
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Lol. Laughing out loud
You can also Google the abbreviations for what they mean
Could also be "lots of luck" depending on the subject..

ROFLMAO is the one I remember..
Old 01-31-2016, 12:46 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Charlie,
How do you post a photo directly on fordbarn?
I have never found a way to do that, and so post them on my own web space.

Also, my photos always post full size but many other people's post as thumbnails.
Sometimes those thumbnails open to a larger size, but often they only have one small size. I don't understand why all the differences.
If you use the paperclip, instead of the mountain, it downloads to the Fordbarn server. This is why size matters, the smaller the size of the file the more that can fit on the server. This will also give you the thumbnail that you click on to get full size.

When you use the mountain you are providing a "pointer" to the file location on the web. If the location changes from when the post was first presented, or if the picture is in a site that has changed it address, or if you do not have "permission" to see the site, you get that box.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post

Thanks to all.
Those specific pictures are on a facebook album. If you do not have access to facebook where you are, like me now, you will get the box.

Hope this clears things up.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:53 AM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Those specific pictures are on a facebook album. If you do not have access to facebook where you are, like me now, you will get the box.

Hope this clears things up.
I do have access to Facebook and I still get the box.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
katy

Quote:
If you right click the thumbnail, then click on "open in new tab", it will show the picture.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Cape Codder

Well, with the help of all of you I now understand why I can't view the pictures, so thanks to all. But I don't understand why someone would post pictures and then remove them?
Thanks again to all ! !