Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
John Spragg

Default Removing backrest seat in 30 A coupe

Please explain how I can remove the backrest part of the seat in my coupe without too much damage, do I do un bolt it some how from inside the trunk or take the whole seat timber support out , this has got me stuck at present - trying to fit those seat belts and I need to check anchor point locations. Thanks Guys - John, Australia
John Spragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
KGBnut

Default Re: Removing backrest seat in 30 A coupe

John,

Oddly enough, the seat back does not come off the frame without some disassembly. It is actually upholstered TO the wood frame. I would not recommend removing it unless you are going to reupholster it. If it is in the way of something else you are doing, just pull the whole frame out. In fact, I would say if you are going to pull off the seat back, my first step would be to remove the frame from the car anyway.

If you need to remove the backrest from the frame...

The expandable fabric that goes to the parcel shelf is held to the back of the seat with wood screws though a metal bar. Remove this piece.

Then, there is a piece of fabric under that bar, which is tacked to the frame. These tacks would need to be removed. The fabric then folds up and there is a rattan strip nailed across the top of the seat that would need to be removed.

Once that is done, you would need to remove the tacks across the top of the seat that are securing the seat fabric (at this point you are exposing the stuffing inside the seat).

Lastly, there are a couple fabric "loops" that are wrapped around the spring assembly and nailed to the wood frame. These are likely visible from the back.

I think that is everything to get it free.

Can I ask what you are doing that is prompting you to remove it? I also saw your other question regarding the parcel shelf.

Ken

Last edited by KGBnut; 02-26-2016 at 02:59 PM.
KGBnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Hotrodmyk

Similar question here. One of the buttons came off the LeBarron-Bonney seat back. I
am looking for a way to fix it without taking the whole seat apart and causing further damage.
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodmyk View Post
Similar question here. One of the buttons came off the LeBarron-Bonney seat back. I
am looking for a way to fix it without taking the whole seat apart and causing further damage.
Just hinge up the backrest & prop it up. Poke the string on the button through the seat from the top with a BIG needle & pull it down & tie it to the springs. NO! I'm NOT an upholsterererer, but my friend IS!! Bill W.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Hotrodmyk

Thanks Bill...
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote