Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
ro

Default VIN on '32 commercial frame

I read somewhere that the only location for the number in commercial rigs was on the frame next to the cowl. I found the number 3186 , but it appears to be just the unit number and no symbols. It doesn't even have the "50..." I see no numbers in the other two locations. Thoughts? I'll try to upload a pic when I can.
ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
ro

Default Re: VIN on '32 commercial frame

here's the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200612_223325.jpg (79.3 KB, 296 views)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You can see at least one additional number, the 7.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro View Post
here's the pic

With thanks to Mac VanPelt for the image depicting the fonts used in Ford serial stamps, those stamped numbers on your chassis do not appear to be the result of Ford "factory" stamps. The "3" and the "6" are definitely not the same as Ford figures. The "8" doesn't quite match-up either, and the horizontal base on the "1" is too wide. But what do I know? DD

………………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #5
DavidG

Normally, a '32 commercial chassis was stamped with the engine number in only one location, unlike the passenger car chassis which were stamped in three locations.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
flatrod

DavidG, I am currently trying to find the numbers on my original 32 frame and can find none. Can you say where they are located?
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
DavidG

The instructions handed down from on high in Dearborn were that on frames destined for passenger car bodies, the engine number with its prefix was to be stamped on top of the left frame rail just forward of the left foot of the firewall. The second and third numbers were to be stamped on top of the left frame rail approximately under the B pillar of the body and on the kick up for the rear axle, but without the prefix. Only the first number with the prefix was to be stamped on frames used with commercial bodies.

As the numbers were stamped on the frame by hand (what a terrible job that would be eight to ten hours a day, day-in, day-out; one likely to destroy your hearing in short order) inevitably variations would occur given individual interpretations of the instructions, arm strength, weight of hammer, wear on punches, etc., but in my experience the instructions were followed in spirit if not always to the letter. Those instructions were intended for both LHD and RHD vehicles, but some Ford of Canada RHD exports show up with the engine numbers stamped on the right side frame rail rather than on the left side per the instructions from Dearborn. It appears to have been standard practice at Ford South Africa, a Ford of Canada subsidiary at the time, and occasionally at other Ford of Canada subsidiary companies in RHD countries (Australia and New Zealand, for example).
Old 06-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
flatrod

Thank you David, I will look a lot closer. If I can't find any numbers I will probably lose my vin, as two cars with the same vin as popped up when I tried to sell mine. I have had mine for 18 years, the other guy just 3 months after mine in another state. Its turned into a big mess!
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
my4dv8

On our original 32 B4 pickup the numbers are on a rectangular pad on top of the bellhousing . Also on top of the LH frame rail just forward of the cowl foot ,though you cant see all of them as the LH fender covers the last few. There may well be numbers somewhere else also that is covered.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Floyd

Those numbers are not the correct font as noted by V8 coopman above. Also the 32's I have observed , including mine, has the number stamped near the inner edge of the frame, not at the outer edge as shown. The location is visible without removing anything. However being able to read them takes a lot of cleanup in the area as the stamping typically is very faint.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #11
Newc

Hi; I have 3 '32 BB truck frames here and all have the good Ford numbers in the correct spot by the left firewall foot area. they are stamped fairly well, but only once. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #12
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro View Post
here's the pic

Do you have paperwork with this number on it?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
rotorwrench

I never ran into any Canadian Fords when I lived up in Kansas but there could be some that made their way down over the years. Canada did things differently than Ford USA. This site shows the numbers. They were using C18 or CB prefix followed by another letter of the alphabet and then a 4-digit sequential number. This link has the numbers. The third or forth digit was changed each time the numbers reached 10,000 depending on whether it was a 4-cylinder or a V8.
http://wnyrg.org/canvins.html

I'm not sure if the prefix was different for commercial vehicles like it was here in the USA. I'm also not sure if Canada used the special 1, 6, & 9 stamps.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
DavidG

rotorwrench,

With respect, I think you meant trucks, not commercial vehicles (Ford's definitions of the period), as the latter have the same engine number prefixes as the passenger cars, both in Canadian and U.S. production.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
ro

I am almost certain that this is a replacement frame that was installed a long time ago. The number is punched right smack dab between the fender flange and cowl, suggesting it was done with the fender on. I'm thinking they punched only the unit number from the original frame to match the title. The other thing is, this frame was never painted black. It appears to have been installed naked. I do not have original title. I will be getting one issued by Kansas.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
rotorwrench,

With respect, I think you meant trucks, not commercial vehicles (Ford's definitions of the period), as the latter have the same engine number prefixes as the passenger cars, both in Canadian and U.S. production.
I did mean trucks but some pickups have been know to carry BB stamps to refer to pickups with 4-speed transmissions in later years. The commercial pickups also started to use the C prefix in the USA but that was just before the war. I still don't know how Canada dealt with all the trucks. Even the USA truck prefixes aren't listed on Mac VP's site mostly because there is less known about them. There are still plenty of things left to learn about the old Fords.

If the number is visible with the body on the frame then it is likely not the serial number.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #17
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrod View Post
DavidG, I am currently trying to find the numbers on my original 32 frame and can find none. Can you say where they are located?
I have a English Commercial frame on my 32 and I could not find any number on it anywhere. It has the external strengthening plates riveted on the wheel arches.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #18
DavidG

rotorwrench,

Sorry, but back at you again. You don't really mean your last sentence in #16, do you? I think there is widespread agreement that the purpose of the stamped engine number just forward of the foot of the firewall is that it can be read and used as a VIN or serial number. Given that this thread is about '32 frame numbering, I'll take it one step further and point out that the original front fender webbing engineering drawing shows a notch on the inside of the webbing corresponding to where the instructions to the assembly plants specified the number should be stamped and the numerous original pieces of webbing I've seen do indeed have that notch revealing the number on the frame.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #19
rotorwrench

I guess I'm too used to model As. I know Ford changed over to the firewall that had to be fit to the body during the body drop at assembly plants in 1932 so it must have been the first to have a visible number after the end of Model A production. You can't see any numbers on the As unless the engine still has one on it. It makes sense though since the firewall was likely already bolted on before they stamped the numbers.

I had to get a number issued on a 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup after my Pop died up in Kansas. Chevrolet didn't stamp the numbers anywhere on the frame and the engine was likely changed several times while we were using it as a farm truck. A KHP officer attached a metal tag with the new number to the door post on the drivers side. The truck was eventually restored at the GM plant in Kansas City for a young man that had cancer and he wanted that truck so he got that truck courtesy of the Make a Wish Foundation.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-15-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A few years ago Kansas was only requiring the VIN (serial) numbers on older cars. I had a lot of frames, so I sent in all the frame numbers and had titles issued for each one. My understanding was they just run the numbers against a stolen data base. Now, if you have another vehicle claiming the same number (not sure how that could happen) then you would have a problem.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote