Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2020, 01:25 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default valve seat cutter

I saw a new manual setup for doing the seats in the v8, using a single cutter blade.
we have the setup to use in our mill but the V8 engine is Too big to fit in,
Some where I saw a hand cranked setup that looked great, I think it was italian made.
I have l looked and can,t find any info on it.
anyone seen none.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:14 AM   #2
48-710

Default Re: valve seat cutter

G'Day Lawrie,
Google Neway seat cutters. I think there are what you are looking for.
Cheers, Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
flatheadmurre

Mira is probably the "good stuff" around new today with a crank attached to it...not cheap though.
Neway if i remember right donīt have cutters for the valve seats...just for finish cutting.
There is a copy of Neway that has seat pocket cutters...he goes under Delrioauto on ebay that is the least expensive i can think of.
Then theres all the vintage with KO-Lee Siox and a bunch more.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #4
Mart

I used a vintage Buma seat cutter in one of my videos. It uses a single high speed steel cutter. I don't know if there is a modern equivalent.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
jrvariel48

I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.newaymfg.com/parts/cutters

I used these with the motor in the car with great success!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Are we talking seat angles or the seat insert itself...i was thinking Lawrie needed to put in new valve seats...
Cutting or grinding the surface for the valves must 101 options for...
Old 04-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
derek costello

Default Re: valve seat cutter.

I just did mine with the engine in the car with a set of all 3 angles of the NEWAY seat cutters from Neway in Ohio. Done in car 3 angle with the pilot and hand toll supplied. Did both the insert seats and the plain seats with the same carbide cutters.

Finished up with compound and the rubber suction cup turner for a lapped fit.
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Lawrie

I have both the neway set, and the Goodson 3D single blade sets that we use on the mill .,
But the thing I saw uses the Goodson single blade cutter setup but is clamped to the block face and has a hand crank setup .
Lawrie
Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #9
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I have both the neway set, and the Goodson 3D single blade sets that we use on the mill .,
But the thing I saw uses the Goodson single blade cutter setup but is clamped to the block face and has a hand crank setup .
Lawrie
Thatīs a new one to me...Mira is electromagnetic and uses brazed carbides from start but goodson sold adapters to 3D cutters for them.
And all Mira style tooling uses live pilots.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

could it be a serdi micro 2000 you are thinking of?, I have one, not well tooled though, have used it several times, needs setup for each seat, pieces are kind of pricey, it uses a live pilot that is slightly different than the standard serdi pilots --and you need a few in each size + - a few .001
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
derek costello

OK. I had the same problem last week so I borrowed a set of Neway seat cutters
and gave my engine a 3 angle valve job.
This was done using accurate carbide valve cutters (NEWAY) mounted on their pilot with the engine in the car. The tool is hand powered with a Tee wrench
and takes a bit of time but does a beautiful job, I finished up by hand lapping.

The carbide cutters will reface the in block seats as well as hardened seat inserts...
Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
tubman

Derek - I have been thinking of purchasing a set of these. It sounds like you would recommend them. After looking at their web page, I figure I could get everything I need for a flathead : pilot, arbor, cutters and crank for less than $400. Am I missing something?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
derek costello

Mr. Tubman: These cutters are no doubt fantastic but they are expensive !
They come with 3 cutters per head or 5 cutters per head, The ones Neway recommended to me were 3 head cutters as they were about $70. cheaper. but I was able to borrow a set with 5 cutters per head. and that is what I used.
Neway said the only difference is speed of the job......
They supply 3 pilots to fit your guide holes so get one of each size one thou bigger and one thou smaller. This makes for a more accurate job. The hand Tee wrench is extra. or you can use a 1/2" socket....
You can also turn them slowly with a variable speed drill.

Neway and the Machine shop I got them from claims they do a smoother job than grinding wheels..........
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #14
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Derek - I have been thinking of purchasing a set of these. It sounds like you would recommend them. After looking at their web page, I figure I could get everything I need for a flathead : pilot, arbor, cutters and crank for less than $400. Am I missing something?

Hey Tub The job can be done with 1 pilot and 2 cutters at a reasonable cost. Can post info if desired. I have done 100's of seats for 25+ years with great sucess. You have to get a Snap on or Black and Decker or Sioux pilot first to determine the cutter properties before ordering. These are always on flee bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIOUX-1-1-1...AAAOSw5v9eG-A5

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 04-05-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add info
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #15
Lawrie

I use the new way set on the V8 engines I do ,but on the A engines and 6cyl holdens I do, I always use the 3D setup on my mill, But the v8 blocks wont fit in it,so would like to use the 3D setup on them,hence, the hand drive one,
I finally found them on the net ,and have sent enquiry,s off.
https://www.fondera.co.uk/assets/peg_fm1.pdf
and
https://www.klsupply.com/general-equ...er-35-2741.asp
Lawrie
Old 04-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #16
Mart

Surprising amount of similarities between that one and my vintage Buma setup. Pilot, rigid upper support, single point tool and a hand crank.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
56markII

I use Neway and seems to me they are made in Australia. They also work great on Stellite seats as well and what I like about them is you don't spray all of your open cylinders and valve/lifter valley with stone grit, and metal filings as well! When it gets down to setting valve clearance they are great as well giving much more precise control for small increments of bringing down the valve to reduce tappet clearance. As for the three angle, it is also used to narrow the valve seat contact area if it's too wide and or the important position of your contact area. Too high and near the top edge of the face needs a top cut and too low a bottom cut but of course if the contact area is too high and can't be lowered a new insert is required.
Simply great tools and allows taking off the bare minimum instead of a pneumatic seat grinder and no stone dressing required! Now I wonder if they have the large adapter insert that you install when the guide is removed like the older Soix seat grinder?
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
56markII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Hey Tub The job can be done with 1 pilot and 2 cutters at a reasonable cost. Can post info if desired. I have done 100's of seats for 25+ years with great sucess. You have to get a Snap on or Black and Decker or Sioux pilot first to determine the cutter properties before ordering. These are always on flee bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIOUX-1-1-1...AAAOSw5v9eG-A5

R
Yes those are what I remember in the Soix seat grinder set! The pilot that the younger bunch look at with a puzzled expression not knowing what the heck they are and for the flathead For my Neway with my limited assortment of pilots I have found some Soix pilots have the same diameter as Neway as well and I could interchange when I didn't want to use the pneumatic screamer and stones.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #19
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56markII View Post
Yes those are what I remember in the Soix seat grinder set! The pilot that the younger bunch look at with a puzzled expression not knowing what the heck they are and for the flathead For my Neway with my limited assortment of pilots I have found some Soix pilots have the same diameter as Neway as well and I could interchange when I didn't want to use the pneumatic screamer and stones.

You order Neway cutters with a .385" hub for Sioux.Or order with a .375 hub for for non Sioux .375" pilots. I have been associated with Neway. The hubs are not to be removed. They won't sell a hub alone. All in all it is a sound way to do seats in a flat motor. I have done many in chassis valve jobs for a local forklift repair shop. Lots of room to work once the hood is removed. They also perform well on Kohler ohv and Briggs engines as well.I have 6 Kohler command heads in my shop rite now. The fellow that needs them isn't in a rush as the virus has many shops deemed as non essential.Will get them done this week.Easy money as well.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:53 PM   #20
vilanar

Lawrie , please let us know what is their response.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote