Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Post Re: Ignition problem no spark

Regardless of coil type, the first thing always suggested is the coil. The complete system needs to be gone through in a sequence. Just throwing parts at something gets expensive.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #22
grumppyoldman

Default Re: Ignition problem no spark

Got more testing done today, put #1 cyl. TDC checked rotor position, it points to #1 dist. wire. So I don't have stripped dist. gear or timing gear damage. Wanted to get that out of the back of my pea size brain. Found info. that said if the ign. switch is left on for over 15 sec. it could damage the module. Also finally checked the air gap, its way over .030 and couldn't adjust it closer, hope the new one has instructions on that. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Post Re: Ignition problem no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post

Found info. that said if the ign. switch is left on for over 15 sec. it could damage the module.
That is the IGN 1. The IGN II does not have (is supposed not to have) that flaw.

Were you able to get the car back to the house? PERTRONIX has a TECH HOTLINE. Maybe they know something I don't (that wouldn't be difficult). There has to be a diagnostic sequence for their DIST.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 04-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
grumppyoldman

Nope the car is still in storage, the gap on the module was so wide I could get 2 pieces of .030 plastic card between the shaft and module. Nothing is movable on the module plate so hope that's fine. I couldn't find any info. on replacing the Ignitor 2 module that mentioned the gap setting. I found the Help line no. and will call them to check it out. Thank you for helping me with problem, I can't bend over the hood much longer, old back don't like that. I'll keep in touch. Al
Old 04-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #25
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Nope the car is still in storage, the gap on the module was so wide I could get 2 pieces of .030 plastic card between the shaft and module. Nothing is movable on the module plate so hope that's fine. I couldn't find any info. on replacing the Ignitor 2 module that mentioned the gap setting. I found the Help line no. and will call them to check it out. Thank you for helping me with problem, I can't bend over the hood much longer, old back don't like that. I'll keep in touch. Al
My instructions were very emphatic on the air gap being set correctly. Mine is 302 with Pertronix. Runs strong.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Question Re: Ignition problem no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post

My instructions were very emphatic on the air gap being set correctly. Mine is 302 with Pertronix. Runs strong.
Now do you have an OEM DIST w/ IGN II module or do you have the complete FLAMETHROWER DIST ASSY?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #27
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Now do you have an OEM DIST w/ IGN II module or do you have the complete FLAMETHROWER DIST ASSY?
Oem dist and a NAPA coil. At the time of installation I was too ignorant to do the complete assy but the NAPA guy whom I have known for years told me this set up should work. He said if it didn't he would refund my money and help me get the Flamethrower parts.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #28
grumppyoldman

50 Ford mine is all Pertronix, Flamethrower dist. with Ignitor 2 module. There is no adjustment inside the dist. to move the moduel closer to the trigger shaft. I'm hopeing that's the way it's supposed to be. Been running the car with no problems for 2 yrs. or more with same setup, don't know yet what happened yet. Al
Old 04-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #29
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
50 Ford mine is all Pertronix, Flamethrower dist. with Ignitor 2 module. There is no adjustment inside the dist. to move the moduel closer to the trigger shaft. I'm hopeing that's the way it's supposed to be. Been running the car with no problems for 2 yrs. or more with same setup, don't know yet what happened yet. Al
What holds the module to the plate? Sounds like it is too far from the trigger shaft according to what you said. Mine is adjustable in much the same manner that you would adjust a set of points only using the plastic gauge to measure the gap. I think we are missing something here
Old 04-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #30
grumppyoldman

I got my new module yesterday, called pertronix and talked to a service tech. He told me to run a ground wire from battery neg. to dist. housing with 12 volts on pos. side of coil and it should fire up. No spark I left the old module in for that test to see if it was good before changing it out. Had to quit because of weather, will try again tomorrow if storm has passed. 50ford the module on my Ignitor 2 has no slots in the mounting screw holes for adjusting the gap. The module mounts on a C shaped plate that mounts to a round plate in top of the dist. with no adjustment in either for setting gap. Al

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 04-28-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #31
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
I got my new module yesterday, called pertronix and talked to a service tech. He told me to run a ground wire from battery neg. to dist. housing with 12 volts on pos. side of coil and it should fire up. No spark I left the old module in for that test to see if it was good before changing it out. Had to quit because of weather, will try again tomorrow if storm has passed. 50ford the module on my Ignitor 2 has no slots in the mounting screw holes for adjusting the gap. The module mounts on a C shaped plate that mounts to a round plate in top of the dist. with no adjustment in either for setting gap. Al
Maybe the adjustment is factory set? I don't know. My dist is OEM and maybe that is the difference. Would have to talk to their tech folks to find out. This whole thing is very odd so what are we missing??
Old 05-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
grumppyoldman

I got the module installed, that must have been the problem,because the car is now running. I set the engine on T D C, removed the dist. and installed the module. I talked to a tech support guy about the module, he said it was the correct one just had up grade and the one I had replaced my older one, and the air gap was not adjustable.I found whoever did the install had changed the wire color going to the coil. It was a black wire coming out of the dist. ,but was spliced to a green wire going to the coil. I had to strip the wire covering off to find which wire went to coil on negative side. Al
Old 05-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #33
grumppyoldman

Well guess what, it no longer has spark. I talked to a service tech today and he gave me a way to test the new module. I had already called it a day at storage, so I tested the old one I had removed. It failed the test, so I will test the new one tomorrow, I think it may fail the test also. Al
Old 05-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #34
grumppyoldman

The new module could not be tested like I was informed. That test was for the ignitor. That was for the Ignitor not for the Itgnitor 11, so am having a new one sent, maybe have some good results with it. Let you know. Al
Old 05-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #35
grumppyoldman

Well I got the new pickup module installed today, works fine. Found a mess in the wiring harness, bringing it home tomorrow and going to fix that mess. I ordered a wiring diagram for a 55 Ford, should be here tomorrow. Need to find several different colored wires. The only thing that's not working now is the backup lights. Finally figured out the 2 relay's, one powers the push fan and the other one powers the 2 pull fans. The main feed wire was 3 different colors, had me scratching my head until I removed the cover over the wires. Al
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #36
bobss396

I'm not big on Pertronix products myself. I almost always use a factory GM or Ford HEI distributor if I have the firewall space. I used them in stock cars with 8mm wires and they always pulled strong up to 7000 RPMs.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #37
grumppyoldman

the Flamethrower dist. was in the car when I bought it. It ran good until the module went out, I think when I get the wiring fixed it will do ok. The coil had too many wires connected to the pos. terminal which may have lowered the voltage requirements for the unit, it has to have 12 volts to work properly.Al