Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Gumpy

Arrow Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

It took me 11 years to build the 40 coupe in my avatar only after i retired could i finish it....gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

My restorations take between 12 - 16 months. These are all ground up projects, very high point (authentic) restorations. That 12 - 16 months is not "full time" but equates to (approximately) between 900 - 1400 hours.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Since my builds are not "restorations" but drivers that represent a theme or time period, and the fact that I'm not retired, definitely has its pluses and minuses on build times. My 40 coupe took about 2.5 years part time to "rebuild" not restore to a late 50s theme, my avatar took 7 years (time and money were definitely issues along with my quest to make it as authentic an early 50s hot rod that I could make it), my present 40 p-up has so far taken 2+ and it will be a more early 60s theme. But, retirement is getting closer and it will be done sooner rather than later I expect because of that fact. I also get side tracked due to family, other interests, and other issues like just not wanting to do anything at that time - it is a hobby for me and I don't want that to change and make it "my day job". I have a 32 5-window in the wings that needs tons of work - we'll see how long that takes me!

What I do try and do is do a little something (if not more) in the garage whenever possible - that really helps keep me focused - even if it's not on the present project .
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Kube

Hey Tom, I completely understand (and relate well to) your post in regard to other commitments, etc. taking a toll on the time frame required to complete a car.
When I was younger it seemed I could never get the requisite amount of cash AND time to coincide. It seemed I always had one or the other but never both.
Being retired does make it a bit easier to concentrate on my hobby. Still, like you, there remains commitments beyond the shop. I suspect that will never change, nor would I desire it to.
Currently I am restoring three cars simultaneously. One is near the finish mark, another is down to the bare bones and lastly, one has just been pulled in and has not yet been disassembled. I have come to realize I thrive best in overwhelming" situations. Hey, I bring it upon myself
That reminds me, I'd better get out there and get something done.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Ken Crans

I have about 6 years into the F-1, the longest it has taken me to restore a truck. Would love to have done by August for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Detonator

It took seven years to build my roadster pick-up. It's a late fifties-style build and a lot of the time was spent hunting down correct parts. I was working full time, too, had kids in soccer, etc etc. My buddies gave me so much lip about how long it was taking that I decided to print up a T-shirt -- and sell it to 'em

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
uncle max

Ten years on my '39 Standard coupe.
80% finished... 80% left to go.

The '37 Tudor is done and fun.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
L78CHEVELLE

Well, for my two cents there are different levels of restoration. The last original unrestored barn find '40 car I found and made into an original, dependable, unrestored great driver took me two months. No paint work, seats redone, fuel and brake system completely redone, fluids changed, engine unstuck, valve train pieces replaced, full tune up, two pieces of glass replaced, tie rod ends, king pins, wipers redone, tires, tubes, and powder coat the rims. I worked about 4 days a week and about 5 hours a day. I'm very familiar with the '40 model Ford products and this makes it much easier for me.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
40grit

Are you guys familiar with the Lynn Yearwood theory of Automobile Restoration? According to Lynn, any Car can be built in 2 years. The theary is you go to the garage one time every day even if you do nothing but take out or put in 2 bolts. 2 bolts a day equals 14 a week, 62 a month or 728 a year. That is 1456 bolts out and back in in 2 years ....hence, The Lynn Yearwood Theory of auto restoration.

Never made it work myself. 6 years for mine.

John L
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
cmbrucew

I'm very familiar with the '40 model Ford products and this makes it much easier for me.

This is a real advantage, not one most of us have.
I do have 2 1950 F1s, but the rest are all different.
If you drive your project, it is truly never finished.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
trainguy

Kube,3 cars at the same time,Wow.I find working on more than one car at a time diminishes the sense of accomplishment,not to mention the mixing of parts.But more power to you if you can pull it off,and it seems you con.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
G.M.

In 1979 I restored a 29 roadster body off in 10 weeks. After finishing my wife said it would be fun to drive it to Florida. We drove it 1,200 miles in 2 days at 55 MPH. About 100 miles north of Tampa on I-75 I noticed the speed dropping and looked at the telephone poles and they were going by at the same speed. Speedometer cable broke. After I was back a few days I pulled it out and the square end was broke. I welded and ground a square back on and it's still working. G.M.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Scott H in Wheaton

I took from 1990 to 2000 to build my 66 GT Mustang coupe. Running a business working on other guy's Mustangs leaves little time for your own.

Now that I'm out of car business and into roofing sales I still have little time during the warm months but its easier to get the enthusiasm to work on my truck.

I'm into year 3 on my 36 pickup and closing in on the body/paint. The mechanicals are all done.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
petes 50 merc

started 1985 finished my merc 1995 its almost time to start on it agian.
petes 50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
If you drive your project, it is truly never finished.
That's what I'm talking about...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Vic Piano

I like to drive our cars/trucks so, as a result, they are under constant "restoration". I guess I'll continue to drive and restore our vehicles, (that is) as long as bailing wire and duct tape are still available...LOL
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Kube,3 cars at the same time,Wow.I find working on more than one car at a time diminishes the sense of accomplishment,not to mention the mixing of parts.But more power to you if you can pull it off,and it seems you con.Phil
I will admit that I am afflicted with a bit (some might say a lot) of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Fortunately, I have managed to harness & apply this trait to my hobby vs. for example, washing my hands 150 times each day.
That is no doubt the main reason that "forces" me to restore the cars to the level I insist of myself.

So, it is second nature for me to keep exacting inventory of each vehicles parts, assemblies, etc. separate from one another.
My sense of accomplishment is only diminished by the fact I am never 100% satisfied with my finished works. I always find areas I feel I could have done better.
I am self motivated enough so that all three will be done in a relative decent time frame. In fact, doing two or more at a time kind of helps me in that if I get frustarted on one vehicle, I can simply move to a different project.
Today? Installed one rear fender and the front seat on one and rebuilt and refinished the generator for another.
Don't get me wrong, there are days that I simply get over whelmed and little (nothing?) gets accomplished.

I won't claim my way of enjoying this hobby is the best way. In fact, I would think the opposite to be true for most. Still, this is precisely the way I get the most reward from it.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
old henry 1934

i never really put a time frame on my restorations, maybe i should. although i do have certain goals, as long as i make progress and the work that i did get done, was done correctly i am happy with that. although i don't work on them as much as i should, i do have (like most of you) my family, my work, and a house to maintain. its easy to tear a car apart, but finishing it is the challange. look how many cars that you know about or even bought because that person lost interest or even didn't have the amount of time or skill that is required to finish a car, so they shoved it in a corner or pushed it outside. Jim

Last edited by old henry 1934; 01-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
old henry 1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
19Fordy

Kube, It's great to find a fellow who really does strive for perfection. You're the man!
Oh, I restored my 40 from 1973-1988. Way too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02566 (Medium).JPG (33.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02565 (Small).JPG (36.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02567b.jpg (219.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg fortyford (Medium).jpg (89.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07777 (Small)best.jpg (72.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
bige386

I have about 2 years into my 46 tudor sedan. It was in good shape when I bought it but I wanted to make it my own. When I bought the 46 it was dark blue with blue garnish moldings and blue window tint blue rims. All that blue was giving me the blue's. I wanted to change the color to burgundy body and rims. Metallic gray garnish molding and dash steering column. Removed all of the window tint which was a pain in the behind. I also removed the complete front end and pulled the motor and went through it. POR15ed the frame and front axle. Painted the car and put everything back together. The last thing I did to it was bought one of them gas tank door moldings for it and installed it to which I don't like the looks of it and will be removing it and probably resell it. Now I just drive it when ever I can.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
Ten years on my '39 Standard coupe.
80% finished... 80% left to go.

The '37 Tudor is done and fun.
How can maths be so wrong yet so right at the same time?

Love it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
35ragtop

Two and a half years to restore it to a 978 point car , 28 years to get around to it!

happy new year guys
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Old Henry

Wasn't a "frame off" restoration but my 15 year old son and I did ours in 100 days over exactly a 1 year period of time, about 4 hours together each day we worked on it. So, total of 800 man/hours between the two of us. And, of course as has been mentioned, it is now a never ending process of maintenance and repair since I drive it every day and on many long road trips.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #24
BoxCar Tom

In the late sixties I started collecting 32 Ford parts with the intention of building a Winterleaf brown 6 wheel deluxe roadster. I never thought it would take 30 years. In 74 I bought a rust free std roadster with near perfect original floor and sub rails. I kept the body and got rid of everything else including the doors and deck lid, it was all abused junk not original to the body! Over the years I bought two complete numbers matching chassis and a Tudor that was in a barn for 39 years. In 1998, after collecting parts FOR-EVER, my brothers who had a shop at the time offered to take my parts collection and build the roadster. They rebuilt and refinished all the mechanicals and restored and refinished the body which only needed replacement panels above and below the deck lid. They refused to convert the std body to a deluxe version so it was built with a trunk and rear mount spare AND they also decided to paint it all black. After 5 1/2 months they had to close their shop, the roadster had no interior or top but was otherwise about 95% finished. During the next six months the interior was finished and the top installed and I had enough parts left over to build another car so I bought a rust free phaeton body. Hope to put the chassis together for that car this summer.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
Tom Morookian

The real question/answer depends on "what you started with". The one that got towed from a farmers field, a decent barn find, or a 20 year old restoration. Then there's the time and money factor.

When I got my 36 (sight unseen in an enclosed trailer from Mass.) the delivery guy swept about 25 pounds of rust, bolts, nuts, pieces of sheet metal and chunks of frame out of the trailer.

After 6 years as a Florida snow bird which is 3 years of actual working time it looks like my Avitar. 6 years ago it didn't look quite as good. Bottom 6 inches of sheet metal GONE, frame looked like a screen door, even the wide 5 wheels where rusted down FLAT for about 6 inches. Ever heard of a rear end pumpkin rusting thru? now you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-17-2006-22.jpg (63.7 KB, 80 views)
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
Robert Dip

This has been a topic of conversation since my mid-teens....fifty years ago, and every time a guy asks me this question, I say 3 years. Now this is a very relative answer, since I myself have projects started 20 years ago and still here and not complete. But, I always say….if you are serious and want to have a good running car, it normally takes 3 years….that being the magic number from my experiences. There are parts to find, sometimes to fit, and to find the ‘time’ to get all this done. So, if someone asks the question…..the answer is above, and you will spend 3 hours explaining this to the un-initiated.
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
Chris Nelson

I spent 8 years on my first project, a 1946 ford Conv. Not much to start with, but persistance pays off and it got completed. After that project, I bought a hulk of a 36 Ford Conv. my wife was aghast when I brought it home. she said, "You paid money for that?" That was only the beginning and 10 years later and much money, she loves that car and loves to drive it.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40grit View Post
Are you guys familiar with the Lynn Yearwood theory of Automobile Restoration? According to Lynn, any Car can be built in 2 years. The theary is you go to the garage one time every day even if you do nothing but take out or put in 2 bolts. 2 bolts a day equals 14 a week, 62 a month or 728 a year. That is 1456 bolts out and back in in 2 years ....hence, The Lynn Yearwood Theory of auto restoration.

Never made it work myself. 6 years for mine.

John L
I'd rather do 1456 bolts than a day's worth of sanding.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
bmwillia

I got my 33 in March of last year, and Have just finished getting the drive train in running condition, including a tranny rebuild.

Now for the body work. I just don't know where to start with that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
This has been a topic of conversation since my mid-teens....fifty years ago, and every time a guy asks me this question, I say 3 years. Now this is a very relative answer, since I myself have projects started 20 years ago and still here and not complete. But, I always say….if you are serious and want to have a good running car, it normally takes 3 years….that being the magic number from my experiences. There are parts to find, sometimes to fit, and to find the ‘time’ to get all this done. So, if someone asks the question…..the answer is above, and you will spend 3 hours explaining this to the un-initiated.
I agree with Robert after 3 years i seem to run out of money and patience!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
39 STD

I bought my 39 std in 1978 and started the disassembly then. I would work on it as time and money allowed. Several times it would be put in the corner as other projects came along. At one time the body hung from the ceiling rafters in the shop for 10+ years. Finally in the fall of 2011 it was tagged & insured. After 33 years it was On the Road again.
Now it sits in the shop with the engine out for a rebuild. It'll be on the road again again in the spring.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Ol' Ron

Been working on mine since 1984, ain't finished yet, but it's close.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #33
flathead4rd

Took four years to get it road worthy. Like any build, it's never completely done.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
sawzall

I "found" the first parts to my next project in 1998? and I still havent "started" it..

http://forums.aaca.org/f231/doing-im...ld-342640.html

perhaps some one will read this and have parts to help me out.. either way.. I'm fixin to get on it in a big way this year.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #35
34pickup

I am one of those who never finish one. But it takes me about 10 years to get one 90-95% complete. Whats the hurry if its a hobby? If I finish one I would just get another so it doesn't bother me if it takes a decade, its what I enjoy. I enjoy building one a lot more than driving one. Roads are too crowded to enjoy driving anymore.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #36
Gary Tosel

I bought my shell of a car in 1972 and finally found all the parts and finished it in 2002. You can do the math.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
Gumpy

It is purchasing the rolling body shell projects that have taken up time and years, I had a friend,, (tom j ) say one time your better off buying a restored car!!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #38
Alaska Jim

I have had my 29 roadster almost 10 years, still not even close. most of the body work is done,all eng. parts are gathered up, still need some special machine work done. I have got almost all the parts to complete the car, but haven't touched it in almost 5 years. other things keep poping up. retired last year thought I would have more time. wrong! seems I have more to do now than ever. hope to get it done in the next 5 years, as I drug home an incomplete 30-31 coupe body 4 years ago and it is next.----Jim.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
Gumpy

What I call yard art or rusty gold are what some of my old projects look like, now that I'm older I can't push them around the property like i did 30 yrs ago, they have to be runnin!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #40
Lawson Cox

My first ground up restoration was a 28 Buick Town Brougham. I was practicing law the whole time, and trying to help the wife raise 3 kids. It took me 12 years to finish the restoration. The second was a Canadian built 34 that I restored, but did not remove the body from the frame. l0 years as I was still working full time. Next is the 35 PU in my Avatar. Gathered parts to build it from all steel parts. I believe it stretched out over about 18 years.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #41
34pickup

Lawson, after all that "practice", did you ever get it right?
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #42
Tim Armstrong

Takes me about a year...if the money holds up. I work on more than one at a time. If I don't have parts for one I can go to another. Currently building a 37 Flatback, 46 convert and a 50 Crosley Hot Shot.

I recently toured the Ford truck plant near Kansas City, they assemble 44 trucks an hour. They are getting the hang of it.

Last edited by Tim Armstrong; 01-04-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: more
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
Gumpy

I have found if your on a budget things do not proceed that fast but swap meets help...the older I get the more I want to do projects which are unaltered and complete! gump
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #44
Gumpy

simple repairs are easy--ground up restores take time!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #45
Fourdy

I have 2400 hrs in my frame off (frame completely dismantled) build. I did all body work, paint, upholstery and engine except for machining. I kept track daily of the time spent on the car. Did not count bs time or just sitting around.

Arthritis will probably keep me from building another car but still have a few flattys to build.

Fourdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 for upload.jpg (149.9 KB, 21 views)
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #46
Gumpy

About to embark on another project, my limit is about 3 years then i move on to someum else!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #47
B-O-B

Never dun there is always something that I want to change. Have a 68 XR7 Cougar that I haven't touched in 8 years . Just need to put the water pump,timing cover & radiator back in. Someday ,maybe. Hope to get this 34 roadster on the road though it will just be a driver. No more pristine cars for me. I just don't have the energy to keep them looking pretty & I enjoy driving them more than polishing them. The 34 coupe needs work but it runs so I just drive it. Sold off all the others as I didn't want to spend the time to keep them up. Let someone have the enjoyment of doing that.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Ol' Ron

My 47 International KB-1, which I converted to Ford runnig gear baclk in the late 80's. Is now going theough it's third complete rebuild which started in 2010 and should be completed sometime next year, If I last that long. The money ran out along time ago.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
tiger.1000

Took me 62 hours to make a locking hubcap so....."from here to eternity"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epic 008.JPG (159.2 KB, 33 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #50
Shu47

Forever. I am not trying to rebuild actually but just doing little things to keep the old truck running and usable. After all, for me it's the journey not the finishline.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
Ralph Moore

A long time, I'm currently working on three in various stages. A 1961 Comet, a 1947 business coupe , and my long term project, an AV8 1931 coupe, traditional hot rod.
Sometimes gets overwhelming with a full time job as well.
But as said earlier its a getaway from the daily grind.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #52
Gumpy

Smile Re: Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
A long time, I'm currently working on three in various stages. A 1961 Comet, a 1947 business coupe , and my long term project, an AV8 1931 coupe, traditional hot rod.
Sometimes gets overwhelming with a full time job as well.
But as said earlier its a getaway from the daily grind.
thats true Ralph, i forget my worrries when i'm in the shop!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #53
deuce_roadster

Took me 40 years for a 40 woodie. All that wood takes time! Pics in my public album. My avatar roadster took about 8 years.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #54
Gumpy

A duece roadster is rare,,,,or a 40 woodie, both financially outa my reach but love to have either!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #55
AnthonyG

Really kind-of never ends! Does it?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #56
rg130

I had my 37 5-window coupe for 15 years before I started the restoration. I wanted to wait until I retired before I started the project. I was concerned that I would get it apart and never get back to it. It was a lot of fun learning about these old Fords. It took me about three years to get it done. I,m now working on a 47 Ford Convertible which has a ways to go.
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #57
Sixseven

I started my restoration in 1973. Not done yet, and oh, the car under restoration changed several times so really think that what was/is being restored is me!

From 1940 Buick to 1941 Ford PU.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #58
push_rod

The 1940 Ford Coupe in my avatar took me 15 years to complete (I bought it in 1974, when I was just 15 years old, and finished it in the summer of 1989.). With the experience I gained on the coupe, and having deeper pockets at age 30, it only took 2 years to complete dad's 1940 Ford Tudor (A half-finished project purchased in 1992 from a guy in Arizona.). My 1930 Sport Coupe project is still unfinished (I bought it in 1988, so far I can turn the key and get the starter to turn the motor over, but I still have to compete the ignition wiring before it will fire up!). Unfortunately my parent's health has deteriorated in the last two years, so I spend much of my time assisting them. None of our old cars have moved in those two years; I've non-opped them, and switched the insurance coverage to "comp-only". I don't see myself taking on any more big projects. It will be enough just to try to keep all of the cars, and keep them running.
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #59
rockfla

Ok, I'm 49, I/ve had a V8 Ford (or several) in my life at all times, never without. If your a "true car guy" the restorations NEVER end. We've had something we're working on, collecting parts for, hoping to have a car for etc. etc. etc. all 49 years of my life and hope to carry the torch and pass along at some point to keep the "RESTORATIONS" going. For me, our 37 Station Wagon (which my dad bought when I was one) is a family member and trough out my life that car is in more photo's than not> I even drove my wife of 17 years away from the church and hope to have it ready to drive my daughter away when her time comes. Keep the restorations going!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
tubman

I never get done. I am always running into problems that constantly set me back. Witness my last thread on the headlight rings I had so much trouble with. Before that, it took half a day to get the two bolts out that hold the ends of the grille bar to the body. Some of you guys are amazing. I think there is a talent to building cars like there is for music. There are some prodigies that can do it at will, just like some people can sit down and play the piano beautifully after diddling around for a ffew hours. Me? I'm the kid that has been taking lessons for 4 years but still scheduled at the beginning of the recital.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #61
Cody_1948

On the 12th will be a year, From finding it, getting it running and finding missing parts. just added a rare rear bumper, i just under a year in the whole driver style im keeping it.
~Cody
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #62
Vonn Ditch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
My restorations take between 12 - 16 months. These are all ground up projects, very high point (authentic) restorations. That 12 - 16 months is not "full time" but equates to (approximately) between 900 - 1400 hours.
I'm curious as to the starting condition of a car that you can restore in your time frame. Maybe a better question is how do you evaluate a car to determine if it's a candidate for a high point restoration. And would the 1400 hours reflect work that's done outside your shop, if any? You have done some beautiful cars by the way.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #63
Bill S

Never finished. On going. Put it together, take it apart put it together.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #64
Gumpy

Gearing up for a 1939 40 coupe build, I think all i need is Body, if anyone knows of one available!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #65
Mr 42

Bought a basketcase, one year and 2500 ours later it was driven thru the car inspection five year later im still inmproving it.....
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #66
johnh7

I finally have a completion date for my 38 Pickup.... 12th of never!

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #67
supereal

The amount of time depends on the goal. I found my '47 convertible in 1995. To get it road worthy took the better part of two years, Since then, I have upgraded lots of the places that were skimmed over earlier. Interior, top, new instruments and clock, steering wheel, etc, followed, plus body work and paint, took another three years. In truth, even a "driver" is really never finished.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #68
Bolts

Well, my experience is that it takes a long time to figure out how the thing comes apart, then longer to put it back together. I got my most recent (and most fun) car a year ago this month. The guy I bought it from called me up to be sure I was getting what I thought I was getting. He said, This car needs everything. I mean everything. Then he called me back again just to be sure I got the first message. He was pretty right, but let me just say it was a complete car which really makes the difference. I actually drove it a couple months after I got it. Never should have done that, because just that little trip down the street was so much fun I'm buying parts I don't even need yet anticipating that I may not be able to get them when I DO need them.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #69
waterboychuck

Like Bolts I'm buying parts for my 46 coupe that won't be installed for some time. I put a 10 year build on the car and I'm retired. I'm not too concerned as it keeps me busy and out of trouble.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #70
ct1932ford

Did my roadster over one winter.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #71
chap52

I don't know what I would do if I ever thought it was completely done...8 years and counting.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #72
47 flatbed

My avatar took 2 years to get drivable. My wifes 41 half ton a big basket case we are in year 2 as of July. Hopefully paint this spring and the 39 3/4 ton express waits next. Just glad to have the these to work on
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #73
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
Gearing up for a 1939 40 coupe build, I think all i need is Body, if anyone knows of one available!
still looking
Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #74
Gumpy

About to engulf on another coupe project this time a frame switch because car has no title and my father in law Joe saved a title and frame from 1957..oh boy,,, yes i can do it!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #75
Tim Ayers

Too long as well. I think I'm at 15 years on the roadster. Should be done this winter.

New jobs, two children being born, moving and helping out with sports, we're heading towards the home stretch.

Ronnie Roadster is just about done with the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (105.2 KB, 27 views)
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #76
tubman

I don't know, since I have never finished one.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #77
mrtexas

project car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project car.jpg (14.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #78
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
project car
So true. Never again will I do a project to this level.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #79
RalphG

Its 5 years since I hauled the rusty 52 Merc out of the woods. Anybody looking at it today might ask when am I going to start fixing it up? Only I know what a lot I've done already to get into good enough condition to drive. For now thats good enough for me. Driving it is more important than "finishing" it. I'll never finish the Merc but hopefully I'll always drive it.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #80
Ol' Ron

Started in 84, and still working on it. EFI in process.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #81
TJ

Bottom line if you are over 65 and don't have a lot of mechanical ability don't buy a project. You may not live long enough to drive it. I tell this to new guys to the hobby who want an old car. I also tell them you can buy one cheaper than you can build one and you can drive it now rather than 5-8 years down the road. At this stage of the game there are lot of unfinished projects out there that are being sold as part of an estate sale. The owner had no chance to ride in it and the kids just want the money. JMHO
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #82
DavidG

Good counsel, Tom.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #83
Dodge

My Father May take the prize, 64 yrs. WWII, life, a family to raise, earning living, a couple of other projects in between you know how it goes.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #84
Don

After about 10 years getting my 36 5w rebuilt and ready for paint I sold it to some else to finish,at 84 I didn’t want to leave a mess for the kids to deal with,still have a couple to play with that are done and will be easy to move on some day!!!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #85
DavidG

My worst example was my avatar '32 station wagon which took the better part of 20 years thanks to an overseas assignment with Ford during that time and other self-inflicted delays. The end result was worth the wait.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #86
RKS.PA

I'm a pretty good composite of many of the sentiments expressed above. #1, I don't want to leave a "mess" in my shop/garage for someone else to deal with after I'm gone. #2, When I'm more of less "finished" with a project, I suffer from the "no project syndrome"!, and #3, I'm too old to start another project from scratch for fear I might not be able to finish it!!

Funny how our attitudes change over time. When I was working, I cherished the time on the weekends when I could work on my Fords. Now, I "savor" the time I have now that I'm retired. Let's not rush this an enjoy every minute....because when it's done, what will I do??
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #87
Ken/Alabama

Took me seven years to complete my 39 Zephyr coupe from start to finish and still working a full time job. Going to pickup a 40 coupe basket case in the coming months . It should be a cake walk compared to that Zephyr but I had six way heart bypass in March so I’m not back up to speed but it will keep me busy.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote