Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #61
Tim Ayers

Default Re: New "32 Ford" Parts...Where does it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am personally glad to see any good quality reproduction parts being made for these old Fords and God Bless any of the folks out there who are making these parts in America. When I learn of a new part that's being manufactured for one of my cars, it makes me extremely happy and I don't care if it reduces the value of existing stock parts that some folks are hoarding and/or are asking ridicules prices for. Let the good times roll and keep 'em flat! JMO, J.M.

JM35:

Sadly, the actual parts being MADE in US of A vs. the number of companies based in the US selling parts made overseas is still a pretty poor ratio.

Hopefully that will start to change...
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #62
Krylon32

When I bought my original deuce roadster body and frame and rolled it into the shop beside several Brookville project cars it made me appreciate all the work that Brookville put into their body.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #63
Atwater Mike

Looking at the casting of this '32 heavy, particularly around the spring hanger bosses has me wondering where it was cast. (I mean, just how far offshore of America)

Say, anybody hear of a repro '37 Ford V860 stock tube axle yet? Heard rumors...
Atwater Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #64
Tim Ayers

Say, anybody hear of a repro '37 Ford V860 stock tube axle yet? Heard rumors...[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was thinking the same this morning. I would be interested in a US-made version of this.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #65
JOYBIRD

Smile Re: New "32 Ford" Parts...Where does it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne View Post
I think it's a good thing because it puts a cap on those outrageous prices an original has fetched in the past. There will always be a market for an original axle, and a very nice original axle will still fetch a very nice price. The great thing now is you wont have to bid against a "check book builder" who needs a '32 axle yesterday, cause his client must have a '32 axle under his car cause all of his rich friends are telling him that's the new cool must have part for your next car.

As for where it ends? It ends when then start reproducing a model 111-40 Grigsby-Grunow Radio for a 1932 Ford.
Gee is this the END

I have the Ford 111-40. Found it in a Zenith Chairside cabinet.
Not sure if 100 % original.
It looks like the Ford Police Radio or the Grigsby-Grunow B18805
BUT the Tag on the Chassis states Ford Model 111-40

Give me a shout
joybird1(AT)earthlink,net)
Bob T
Wilmington, NC
JOYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #66
DavidG

Tim,

With all respect, if you are referring to Deuce lover's comment regarding the coined phrase "heavy", he is 100% correct. There was only one front axle used in the production of the '32 Ford passenger cars and commercial vehicles worldwide, not some "light ones" and some "heavy ones". The ones supplied for service after 1933 were no longer the original '32 version, but rather the '34 version, which is functionally identical and yes, lighter in weight. That some of these lighter replacement axles show up on surviving '32s does not mean that they were "as-built", but rather "as survived".

Last edited by DavidG; 02-20-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #67
JOYBIRD

Edit
JOYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #68
Doodlrodz

Three or four years ago I got caught in a downpour at Hershey (imagine that) and ducked into the Honest Charley tent and have to admit I can understand the temptation of the reproduction stuff. I was amazed at what was available I guess I just never paid too much attention to the repro stuff before. I wandered around in there for probably a half an hour and gotta admit the idea of one stop shopping could make a lot of sense for a lot of people who don't have the time to hunt down all the parts to build a car. Problem for me is I'd have to have two of Bruce's back packs filled with hundreds. So it was back out in the sprinkles and another 8 miles of pure enjoyment.
Doodlrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #69
Lawson Cox

The hunt is what it is all about.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe KCMO View Post
I believe "ductile" refers to other than cast. Ductile is steel which can be hammered or drawn into wire. I do not believe that definition if of anything like cast iron. It is steel.
Here's the scoop on Ductile Cast Iron". It does exists. Pretty interesting read.
http://info.lu.farmingdale.edu/depts.../castiron.html
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #71
barryfromvictoria

Dave G-- As usual is right. I might add that the spring perches in `32 were also thicker. My guess is that Henry`s engineers went overkill on the axle and other parts because of the extra weight of the new v-8 and they were in such a rush to get the new car to the showrooms. Then when they had more time they found it wasn`t necessary and made the axle lighter for 33-36 and later replacement for `32. The old myth that a `32 thick axle was a commercial axle only started about 50 yrs ago when Tex Smith wrote an article for Hot Rod Magazine showing all the differences in early ford axles. While it was an exellent comparison for the day he mistakenly identified the `32 thick axle as a commercial axle only. This same article was published in numerous other magazines over the next 30 yrs.---Barry
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #72
DavidG

Barry,

Thanks for that bit of history; I'd always wondered where and when the "heavy" tag came into popular use.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #73
nonipshere

Agree. Nothing like original equipment. If you want an old school rod, you build it like an old school rod. Nothing like hunting those parts down. Unfortunately, the parts are becoming more scarce. People do hoard the parts in hope that they will increase in value. Those who are strictly profit motivated are hurting the hobby and not only for the older guys who can afford it but, for the younger ones who have the interest but not the money. I don't like buying the car from the catalog unless the parts are absolutely unavailable.
nonipshere is offline   Reply With Quote