Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Ian NZ

Default Houston Texas,

My son who owns several Ford vehicles is going on an organised motoring Tour from New Zealand to U,S.A. in June. They are going on a organised Tour through Nasa , Houston Texas, What else could he see in the Motoring line which he is interested in at Houston, as he cannot find anything on the sites.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Houston Texas,

Btt
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
RalphM

My home town!
The Autorama is in the fall, but there are always some swap meets, etc in outlying towns. I haven’t been back for a couple years. There are plenty of Hot Rod shops around like Bruce’s, who deal in a little bit of everything, but a lot of old Fords last time I was there. They gave me a guided tour of the shop.
Maybe Mr Texas will chime in.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:15 AM   #4
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Pity the Jerry J. Moore Museum has closed down.
I was there in the late 1980's.
A the time it was supposed to have had the largest collection of Duesenbergs outside the ACD Museum in Indiana.
Had some fabulous cars in there.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #5
Tinker

Go by speedy Bills place. In the usa where can't you visit? history or.... ???
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:20 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
My son who owns several Ford vehicles is going on an organised motoring Tour from New Zealand to U,S.A. in June. They are going on a organised Tour through Nasa , Houston Texas, What else could he see in the Motoring line which he is interested in at Houston, as he cannot find anything on the sites.
Will their tour be limited to just the Houston area?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
51504bat

You might check over on the HAMB. Lots of members from Texas on that site.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

I've lived 20 or so miles northeast of Houston proper for fifty-five years now. There are quite a few cool cars of all flavors in the area for sure. We have two really worthwhile swap meets during the year, but not in June. One big Autorama Car Show on Thanksgiving weekend. Impromptu local parking lot car shows every Saturday night all over the area, year-round. And yup, Bruce's Rod Shop on the far north side in Spring, Tx is a first-class rod and custom (lots of old Fords ALWAYS) fabrication and completion facility, certainly worth seeing and they seem to welcome showing-off their operation. Other than that, and with Houston being the fourth largest metro in the US, there just isn't what one might expect (specialty car-wise) in this area that would justify a trip from New Zealand to see. In spite of it's size, I've never considered Houston to be high on the list of "don't miss" tourist destinations, but I truly hope your son enjoys his trip, nevertheless. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Will their tour be limited to just the Houston area?
The organised motoring Tour is on other places in U.S.A such as Detroit, where they are going through the Ford Museum, and Houston. I have not been told what other places they are visiting.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
oldandtired

Ian...The most direct route from Houston to Detroit is around 1300 miles. A meandering route would take them through the Memphis area, make the St. Louis area doable, through Indianapolis which is not too far from Auburn, and through part of Ohio on the way to Detroit. Depending upon the amount of time they have and what they are interested in seeing there is no shortage of things to see and do along the general route. I lived in the Houston area for decades and I do not remember much in the way of automotive events in June.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
tubman

I see Auburn, Indiana mentioned above. If you are anywhere close, I wouldn't miss it. The ACD museum, the Early Ford Foundation, and the American Auto and Truck museum (right next door to the ACD) are not to be missed. The ACD, being in the original Auburn office building is especially impressive. Not only the cars, but they have preserved Mr. Cord's office as well as Gordon Buehrig's styling studio. Extremely impressive.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
51woodie

If they get to Detroit, the Henry Ford Museum is outstanding. I have been there three times and have enjoyed it immensely. Depending on time available in the schedule, you could spend two days in the museum. Also, next door is Greenfield Village, where you can easily spend a full day or longer. I'm not sure if they still have the Ford F150 truck assembly plant tours or not, but again it is something special to see.

https://www.thehenryford.org/

The two museums in Auburn Indiana are also a not to miss visit.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
slowforty

If he makes it to the Chicago area I can provide lodging. Let Me Know
Roger
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
38bill

Less "stock" type cars and more rods and customs but you will find a lot of Flatheads at the Minnesota Street Rod Associations Back to the 50's car show. 12,000 plus cars from model T's to high end customs. Rated one of the best shows in the USA. June 19-21 2020.
38bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Ian NZ

Thanks everybody for all the replies. The Tour has now been cancelled because of this Virus and no medical insurance.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #16
38 coupe

In the future send me a message if your son, or any other New Zealand V8ers are going to be in the Houston area. My wife and I have attended the last two NZ V8 National Meets (Hawke's Bay and Christchurch). Both times we found the people in New Zealand to be wonderful friendly folks. I would like to reciprocate if any Kiwis head over to Houston. I don't log in much, but send me a message and I'll reply with my email address eventually.

As other folks mentioned there isn't a lot to see as an automotive tourist in Houston.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #17
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
In the future send me a message if your son, or any other New Zealand V8ers are going to be in the Houston area. My wife and I have attended the last two NZ V8 National Meets (Hawke's Bay and Christchurch). Both times we found the people in New Zealand to be wonderful friendly folks. I would like to reciprocate if any Kiwis head over to Houston. I don't log in much, but send me a message and I'll reply with my email address eventually.

As other folks mentioned there isn't a lot to see as an automotive tourist in Houston.
Thanks very much for the offer, see what happens later on.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #18
Karl

Sorry Ian to hear your sons trip was cancelled
Andrea and I have just pulled the pin on out 5 week trip to Europe in June.
We have already paid $40,000 for the trip and like your son a pandemic nullifies your insurance . We will be able to reschedule for 2021 but really wonder if having a lot of money tired up in a River Cruise company who is going to have very little income for the foreseeable future is a great idea -I suspect a few will go to the wall before next year-if ours does the money is gone

Just to complicate things as a primary care medical practitioner I will be in the front line ( ? firing line) when it gets here. Although some pretty tough Government restrictions just may slow things down -Karl
Old 03-16-2020, 03:16 AM   #19
Ian NZ

Thanks Karl, my son has not paid any money luckily all though some have paid money for the tour Some meetings here are being cancelled here because of this Virus I went to a Grey power meeting today because of the age of the members they are not having any further monthly meetings until further notice, there is a big vintage car club rally here with a lot of entries in a few weeks time and we do not know if that will be held and there is talk about closing the schools I am supposed to be helping the Vintage car club in August with Daffodil day in Hawera but that is a fare way of yet. I have just been to a car show held last week end in Kaponga luckily. My 32 won the Public choice trophy. I have included a photo of my 32 and my two sons Ford cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaponga car show , Family Grants, Wayne, Ians, cars.jpg (89.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 03-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #20
Lawrie

Ian , that pic bought back memories, Our family had a farm on east road that looked straight up at Mt Egmont.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote