Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
russcc

Default scissors lifts

My shop is a vintage stable, built in 1910. It is rugged post & beam with real 2" x 8" joist on beams & wood columns set on granite pads. The floor is rough sawn under with a 1" x 4" pine floor deck. Its not going anywhere, but installing a 2 post lift would require some steel plating of the columns. I was thinking of a scissor lift, which would also require a large steel plate for it to operate on. Anyone have experience/opinions. One I saw lifts to 56". Tnank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
30-9

Default Re: scissors lifts

How about a four post?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

4 post lift would be an idea. They have a large footprint on each post to spread the load and locations to lag screw it down. But, for a lift, I have found you need s bay just for the lift to actually work with it. In my case, my work bay had the lift and that was a mistake. With an ongoing project underneath you can’t access the lift easily and it just becomes a big storage rack. When I moved to my present place It have a two dettached and a separate 2 bay plus workshop garage out back. I weighed my options and I sold the lift to a buddy of mine. I keep in shape jacking the car up and sliding underheath it with jackstands in place. So far, so good - besides, my buddy had my bluff and when I really really need it, I take the project over there! Lol! I’ll be 70 this December .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
randy993

I have a scissor lift that lifts 54", 6000lb capacity. I've had mine for 10+ years and love it. They are excellect depending on what you want to do. They limit you to what you can do from underneath in the center, but are great for wheels off service and detailing, oil changes,ect.... I've used it on several different vehicles including my '41PU. I used mine in a basement with limited ceiling height. It's practical that you can move it around and cost effective. I have less than 1k in mine.
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

I say find a way to get a good 2 post lift installed - even if you have to pour footers/pad for it to mount too. Once you've had one - you can't imagine NOT having one. There are so many uses for them - including lifting heavy things out of my truck, loading heavy things into my truck. Also, great place to lay a frame when you're working on a new suspension build. Just so many reasons to have one - just figure out how to make it happen! You will never regret the decision! PS: Buy a high quality one - like a BendPak . . . be careful of cheap offshore knock-offs!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
T Scott

I had a similar shop with a wooden floor and the building built on wooden posts. I didn't dare do any welding with the wood floor and a lift was out of the question. So, I cut out the floor, joists and all and replaced the wood posts with concrete blocks. I then had a concrete guy pour a slab and a knee wall foundation up to the original sills. The knee walls and slab were poured in one shot and since the ground level was two feel below the original wood floor I picked up an additional two feet ceiling height. Then went in a four post BendPak, the best thing I ever did.
I also have a scissor lift. I replaced the bottom 6" of a 34 coupe body on a scissor lift. I mean everything, floor, body sills, rockers, fender wells, rear body corners, quarter and cowl bottoms and on and on. This tool was and is priceless for this type of application. A back saver!
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
Lawrie

I agree with not buying an off shore one,Aussie made are first class ,mate bought an offshore one from chxxx,first lift it came unstuck and tipped his F100 off it ,my son bought an Aussie made Molnar 4 post one ,man it’s nice and VERY well made
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 AM   #8
Ritzy1

This might be an option for you: https://www.kwik-lift.com/
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
Frank Miller

That kwik lift looks nice for smaller garages. If you're looking for a lift to work underneath the car, I'd stay away from a scissor lift. A four post one distributes the load and can be portable. You can remove wheels if you use jack plates and it allows the complete underside of the car to be accessible.
Someone mentioned welding on a wood floor and that would be a concern. Some pieces of sheetrock to lay down when doing so might be a good idea. There is the, don't leave the shop for a half hour after welding on a car rule, figuring that is the amount of time it takes for a spark to start a fire.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
corvette8n

Russ: I bought a pair of quick jacks direct from bend park BX5000 model.
https://www.bendpak.com/ I got the 12 volt model so I can throw them in the back of my truck and use them anywhere. Stored my '41 on them for the winter.
I use one of those jump packs to raise and lower them.
Search the Internet for a coupon they usually have a 100.00 off one floating around somewhere. I see my local Home Depot can also get them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (52.9 KB, 20 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #11
TJ

I have a Kwik Lift. It works good for me as I do not have the ceiling height for any other type of lift.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
38bill

I too have a Kwik Lift. Purchased mine used for around $700. It came with a heavy duty cross beam that can be placed anywhere along the length of the rails. You get complete access under the car except at the rear lifting tube. They now make casters for them but I just use car wheel casters from Harbor Freight. The nice thing about them is that you can move them around and even drop them all the way down flat to the floor. They are lower than the other lifts so you will end up working laying on a creeper.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
russcc

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My 1st choice would be a 2 post. The posts would be out if sight behind the main columns that support the beams in the center of the stable. The arms come off some of the 2 posts, so they would be out of the way. A 4 post would spread the load, but take up to too much room. For my needs, if I can get the car quickly, easily & safely off the floor 4' or so, it would be at good working level, and I could get under it also. I will look into the Bendpak & Kwik lifts. I will be USA made that's for sure.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
zoegrant

Had a quick lift and it was great for my downstairs ceiling height. Sold it and installed a 4 post lift in my garage...I like the 4 post but if I wanted to use a pair jack stands on the side frame rails in order to work on the suspension, then I have a problem as the lift tracks are not wide enough to accommodate a pair of jack stands.
If you end up going with a 4 post, be sure to buy a rolling jack stand with it, about $600. extra $...worth it.

The 4 post can also be used for storage of another car....
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
Krylon32

About 2 years ago after seeing me hobble into the house for a couple days my wife offered to buy me a lift. For the space I have I decided on a 4 post Bendpak high lift model. It's the smaller one in their selection but it fits the space I have and with a 12'6" ceiling it not only allows an easy stand up work position but allows me to store 2 cars when I need to. I bolted mine to the floor because I felt like with a car up high it was a little shaky. I went with this 4 post because a 2 post would have taken up to much room in my small shop. The body shop that does some work for me has 2 scissor lifts that lift the car about 3 feet and he uses them all the time.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
30-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegrant View Post
Had a quick lift and it was great for my downstairs ceiling height. Sold it and installed a 4 post lift in my garage...I like the 4 post but if I wanted to use a pair jack stands on the side frame rails in order to work on the suspension, then I have a problem as the lift tracks are not wide enough to accommodate a pair of jack stands.
If you end up going with a 4 post, be sure to buy a rolling jack stand with it, about $600. extra $...worth it.

The 4 post can also be used for storage of another car....
Two 2x6 boards across 4 post and you can use jack stands on frame. Then you can pull front axle or whatever