Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Judging Independent Body Styles

How will we (or how are we) currently judging a 1928-1931 Model A/AA Ford with an Independent Body Style that is NOT (and which are not to my knowledge) currently specified in the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards?

Will those vehicles be treated like all other vehicles in receiving full points or less points since some of the features are not covered within said publication?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Neil Wilson

Default Re: Judging Independent Body Styles

Pluck, The only RGJS information I find is page 8 (revised 2011).

"Vehicles which were produced by Ford with only a cowl
and chassis (sub assembly) must have an appropriate body
provided by an outside supplier. This includes the Chassis
Seat model , Ford body style 75-A."

This statement does not reference a cab and chassis unit. But, it seems there is an unwritten rule that a cab and chassis must have an outside supplied cargo body to be judged or points are deducted.

There is a list of "A" chassis body types but no body type identification information. The E supplement (Heavy Commercial Vehicles) has eleven pages of AA body types identification.

I don't see any way for a judge to be able to judge a outside supplier body or even to know the difference between an era supplier or a home made body.

There must be some unwritten rules regarding this procedure since non-Ford supplied bodies are being judged at national meets.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Judging Independent Body Styles

Steve, to the best of my memory, the vehicle must be presented to the JSC for a varience in each area that is not specified within the JS&RG book. For example, there was a AA truck (-originally used on a lease for duck hunting?) at the San Diego meet a few years ago that had some variances given and the truck scored well. However at the same meet, when Ron Rude showed his 1927 Kentucky-bodied truck, because he did not apply for variances on items like the rear fenders (-which were 26/27 Roadster fender) we were instructed to deduct points. That was a hard thing to do because that truck was well documented and we knew those were the correct rear fenders that came with the truck. Unfortunately, the Judging Stds. did not recognize those fenders as correct.

I will tell you that in a situation where the item is not required, then full points are awarded (-no deductions given). I made the comment once that since the Stds say it is how the vehicle left the factory, then I wanted to show a stand-drive milk truck chassis just as it left to go to the body builder. Since it would not have a body, rear fenders, upholstery, top, windows/curtains, etc., it could score very well. I since think the verbiage has been changed that all vehicles must have a body to be eligible to compete.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote