Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
leon bee

Default Those Common Turn Signal Kits Use on 6volts?

I have a bunch of stuff bookmarked to read when I got time, I haven't found an old post here yet. Those 7 wire kits are all over ebay and elsewhere, real cheap. I'm not always drawn to real cheap. Stopped at NAPA where I could pay a lot more and was going to have them get me one in.

But........I know it'll work with 6v flasher, know how to wire it up. What I don't know is if the little lights on the handle/switch itself will work or be very visible with 6 volts. I'm pretty deaf and never hear the flasher in any car I drive. And I hate to be that old geezer driving along with a blinker on.

Anybody rigged one up lately? Thanks!!
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Those Common Turn Signal Kits Use on 6volts?

yes they will work on 6v, I use a 8 to 12 volt buzzer that I got from radio shack so this old geezer can hear the blinker
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
leon bee

Thanks, Alan. I never thought of a buzzer. I could use one of them in my 12 volt Buick, too.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
RKS.PA

leon, my 6 volt green flasher lights are very bright on the directional switch mechanism, especially after I replaced the 12 volt bulbs with 6 volt bulbs. That said I still sometimes forget to turn them off!!! Also, I found an electronic flasher unit to replace the old "heat strip" one .....works really well.

Good luck....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #5
Graeme / New Zealand

Leon I rigged one up on 6 v recently recently. I feel much safer now driving as no one seems to understand hand signals .. or if you use them in this day and age someone might think you are being rude and inciting "road rage".

I bought dual pig tail wires for my front park lamps so I could use them a turn signals as well. and used a dual filament 6v bulb as a replacement.

For the rear I did not want to use the tail lights as here in NZ amber turn signals are the norm and no one would take any notice of the little red tail lights.

I didn't like the look of add on motor cycle type lights so I got a couple of of CM Hall accessory Ford back up lights of the pedestal type and mounted them on the rear stone tray where they would be mounted as a back up light. I used 6v amber VW bulbs in them and cut up a clear orange kitchen cleaner bottle and mounted that inside the light behind the bulb to give it a wider spread of light, it does not look obvoius that these are turn signal lights.

For the signal unit I used a good quality US made Truck lite brand which is the same as the famous US Signal Stat brand that has been around for years. That has a Hazard light flare tab on it as well. Make sure you use a 6v bulb in the unit for the pilot light. Beware of Asian imitations that look like signal stat units. There is also a cheap heart shaped chrome unit with the pilot light on the end of the turn signal stalk that is all over the net, once again Asian made. Many people use these, so the decision rests with the buyer, but I like the US built units and was prepared to pay a little more but they are not that expensive anyway.

I made up my own wiring loom and ran it inside the chassis rails to the front park lights and the rear turn signals.

for the flasher unit don't use the "tin can" type that typically comes with "7 wire kit". These are nasty Asian units that are more often than not faulty... I know from experience and they get poor reviews on the net. I used a Tridon / Navita LL535 unit which I got from Rock Auto... these are US made. If your car is positive earth you need a LL535 which is a positive earth flasher unit. You must use a flasher that is compatible with whatever your earthing system is. The Tridon / Navita flasher unit is quite loud as far as flasher units go.
GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 06-09-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
chap52

Most of the Model A parts folks have the 6-12 volt T/S kits. Check the Model A forum for postings.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
alanwoodieman

I forgot to tell you about a ground wire. the switch body itself must be grounded , the instructions talk about sanding the paint off the column, but I solved that problem by running a dedicated ground wire from the switch to under dash for a ground connection.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
leon bee

Thanks again, guys. With all this info I should be good to go.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I forgot to tell you about a ground wire. the switch body itself must be grounded , the instructions talk about sanding the paint off the column, but I solved that problem by running a dedicated ground wire from the switch to under dash for a ground connection.
I like your idea of the ground wire. I sanded off the paint, it is not pretty but cant be seen. I saw somewhere that some one just placed a "star" washer under the clamp and tightened it so the washer bit into the paint and made a grounding.

GB

Old 11-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
scott62

Who has installed a Truck-Lite 900 Series Turn Signal switch in their Ford Model A? Does anyone have a good idea for wiring through a "bus bar" mounted in the cowl kick panel? Most wire (as I did) down along the column. That is problematic at times. Any suggestions? Photos? Thanks.
scott62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
Graeme / New Zealand

Scott don't know about the A's but with the V8 I ran the wire down the column to where it meets the dash then up under along the dash and down behind the kick panel and out through the speedo cable / emergency brake grommet (hidden under carpet)and down to the loom I made which I laid in the chassis rail.

GB

Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
corvette8n

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292293074473

This is what I used, very annoying, but I don't forget my turn signal.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote