Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #21
Badpuppy

Default Re: Coil + or -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Electrons move from - to +. Electricity does not flow only electrons. Voltage is the force that drives the electrons. Amp meters measure the amount of electrons that flow past a point.
Quite true. Benjamin Franklin was wrong. Today's technical literature equates current flow with electron flow. However since most electrical theory was developed in the 19th century, higher level courses still maintain "conventional current" (positive to negative) as standard in order to be consistent with historic publications. Makes it hard to jump between practical and theoretical.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #22
30 Closed Cab PU

This depends on if you are talking hole or electron theory, in the distant past long ago the opinion of the direction of electricity flow was reverse of today. That is if my nuerons are firing correctly and I remember correctly
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #23
37 Coupe

So I guess I will try red on drivers side first ……...
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #24
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post

the best inverted 12v coil known to man..see the 15? thats where the hot wire goes,other side goes to the points..

Does inverted mean the hole is at the top or bottom?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #25
noboD

If you hook it up backwards the spark will be jumping from the bent electrode on the threaded part of the spark plug to the center electrode. Think about that.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #26
Chuck Sea/Tac

If your - is hot, then go to the minus of the coil, if the hot is+, then go to the positive. Also, to throw in an added kink, coils are made for the polarity of grd. So I don’t know if you can switch the coil terminals around to compensate, or just get a coil made for your grd application. I guess that’s where the polarity tool would come in.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
zzlegend

I was not going to make any more comments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
There is a little to much erroneous information going on here. Back up and think. It will run either way you have the wires hooked up to the coil. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it will not be as efficient if hooked up backwards. BUT it will still run. Why not just buy the stinking tool and be done with it?????????????????????????????????
Lets just say your coil has no markings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then what??????? The tool will tell you. What happens in today's world that the coils come marked wrong by a little Chinese guy that does not know any better?????????????????? The tool will tell you. 37 Coupe just send me your name and address and i will send you my tool....................try it and send it back........................Such an easy job turned major. Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i am done........................
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #28
37 Coupe

Thank you for the offer but I will invest in the polarity tool and a couple others in Brattons catalog for timing.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #29
zzlegend

Good for you. You won't be sorry. But my offer still stands is need be. Hope you post back after you use it. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #30
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
How do you define "hot" - positive or negative?

Um, Dennis, pencils are SHOCKINGLY cheaper!
True and today I was told by a club member some of the vendors have ran out of stock on the Nu-Rex tester. The vendor told him I don't think more will be made...
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #31
37 Coupe

Brattons shows out of stock.I bought one one Ebay used $10.00 so I hope it will work.Thank You to all and especially for the offer to borrow the tool from Mark.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
steve s

For those who are comfortable talking about electrons but are otherwise mystified by this discussion, there are three things you need to know: (1) when a battery is discharging, electrons are coming out of the - terminal; when it's being charged, electrons are being crammed into the - terminal, (2) the other end of the high voltage wire coming out of the coil is internally grounded to whichever of the coil's terminals is also connected to the negative post of the battery, and (3) it's easier for electrons to jump from hot metal, like a spark plug tip, than from cooler metal, like the part of a spark plug in thermal contact with the water-cooled head.

In other words, you want the electrons to be traveling from the coil to the spark plugs, not the other way. That means the invisible, internal end of the coil wire must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery and, if it's so marked, the negative terminal of the coil. The coil cannot manufacture electrons; they have to come from somewhere, which means, ultimately, the battery's negative post, whether or not it happens to be grounded (for the convenience of the various low-voltage accessories).

With 10,000 volt incentive, electrons will jump the .025" plug gap no matter what, but you'll get a more dependable bodacious spark if conditions are optimized.

Last edited by steve s; 03-25-2019 at 12:52 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #33
Purdy Swoft

I'm really glad that I got mine while the getting was good .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #34
katy

The pencil trick works, you just have to remember to wear good rubber gloves.

FWIW, one company I went to work for gave me a used pair of high voltage rubber gloves to use on some 4160 volt stuff I would be working on. No inspection markings on them so I asked the boss when were they last tested. He looked at me kinda oddly and said that they'd never been tested but they would send them out to be tested. The test facility threw them out as they were full of holes, a death trap waiting to bite.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #35
woofa.express

yeh Katy, it's up here for thinking. cheers, gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brain.jpg (17.4 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is online now   Reply With Quote