Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Paint the Car?

What is a good color for the car? I was thinking about going with a brown color. The paint job by the previous owner looks like it was done in a sand storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1160267.jpg (70.7 KB, 246 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Paint the Car?

yep, paint the car, it's your car, paint it if you want.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
lindy williams

Your car appears to be a '29 special coupe. There were two brown colors available for '29 coupes. Rose beige and Mountain brown. Go to (autocolorlibrary.com) to get an idea what these colors look like.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Gary WA

Marco's Model 'A' Ford Barnyard
Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
Gary WA

Go to the above web site Thanks to Marco, then go to The workshop and you can see different colors on his car, you can change them on his site.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
What is a good color for the car? I was thinking about going with a brown color. The paint job by the previous owner looks like it was done in a sand storm.
If you are not building a point car, look at Stone Brown/Deep stone gray as a nice combination..
Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
If you are not building a point car, look at Stone Brown/Deep stone gray as a nice combination..
the stone brown looks good.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #8

thanks for the info, it helps make a decision, I like the Marco website.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
J Franklin

Thorn Brown
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
jimalabam

I love Thorne Brown w/black trim - see mu avator...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Dollar Bill

Take a look at Cherokee Grey with Dawn Grey trim with Straw wheels and pinstripes. They are more brown than grey.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
JDupuis

I love the rose beige/seal brown with orange pinstripe.
It's your car, do it your way. It will look great anyway you do it. Jeff
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
700rpm

DO NOT remove the belt molding to repaint. They are very fragile, and easily damaged if removed. And if you don't damage it on removal, you likely will on reinstall. They are not being remade and finding a good original is a long-term quest. It took me five years to find mine. You will want it in order to apply a correct pinstripe.

Because of the delicate nature of that molding, hope you never have to remove or replace your roof either.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 11-23-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added info.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for deciding to change the color on your car. I wish I could UN-see it, but I can't. It's burned indelibly in my eyes. YUCH!! Either a former owner was color blind or was just plain lacking in taste. The present color is a distant and poor relation to the 1929 Balsam Green. Not my favorite shade of green, but far better than what was brush-painted on your car.
Since you have decided to get away from green (Have I forgotten to thank you for that on behalf of the entire Model A community? ), there were some nice color combinations for the 1929 Model A's to choose from. As recommended in a previous post, the Thorne Brown and Seal Brown combination with an orange pinstripe is VERY complimentary on a Special Coupe with its extended black top material to the belt line. The colors work well together (see attached photo borrowed from the Internet; owner unknown). You will be a happy camper going with that color scheme. I painted my 1929 Murray Town Sedan these colors and am very happy with the look. PLEASE keep the wheels gloss black as they came from the factory and resist the temptation to paint them orange to please modern "taste" in colors.
You are planning on sanding or stripping off all the old paint down to bare metal, aren't you? If you don't, that barn paint will crack underneath the new paint or lift up from underneath. Even using a catalyzed sealer won't un-do the damaging effects of painting over house paint on a car.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murray Town Sedan, 1929.jpg (59.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 11-23-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added missing word
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
mike657894

these cars have a million crevices that hold sand and you need to blow them all out with compressed air or the will hold sand until your paint gun blows it all over your paint. also the amount of sand is probably typical of painting out side of a booth or not cleaning enough. there is so much not seen by eye that the paint draws out of the air.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for deciding to change the color on your car. I wish I could UN-see it, but I can't. It's burned indelibly in my eyes. YUCH!! Either a former owner was color blind or was just plain lacking in taste. The present color is a distant and poor relation to the 1929 Balsam Green. Not my favorite shade of green, but far better than what was brush-painted on your car.
Since you have decided to get away from green (Have I forgotten to thank you for that on behalf of the entire Model A community? ), there were some nice color combinations for the 1929 Model A's to choose from. As recommended in a previous post, the Thorne Brown and Seal Brown combination with an orange pinstripe is VERY complimentary on a Special Coupe with its extended black top material to the belt line. The colors work well together (see attached photo borrowed from the Internet; owner unknown). You will be a happy camper going with that color scheme. I painted my 1929 Murray Town Sedan these colors and am very happy with the look. PLEASE keep the wheels gloss black as they came from the factory and resist the temptation to paint them orange to please modern "taste" in colors.
You are planning on sanding or stripping off all the old paint down to bare metal, aren't you? If you don't, that barn paint will crack underneath the new paint or lift up from underneath. Even using a catalyzed sealer won't un-do the damaging effects of painting over house paint on a car.
Marshall
Nice photo of my 29 town sedan, Marshall.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
Marshall V. Daut

Aha! The culprit has been identified! As I wrote, I couldn't recall whose car it was, but it impressed me enough to save a copy. It looks like mine, or as mine WILL look when it's finally assembled. I think this is the most attractive color combination for the big sedans in 1929. Obviously, so do you.
Marshall
Old 11-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
2manycars

I have a bunch more photos of the car if you want them.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Aha! The culprit has been identified! As I wrote, I couldn't recall whose car it was, but it impressed me enough to save a copy. It looks like mine, or as mine WILL look when it's finally assembled. I think this is the most attractive color combination for the big sedans in 1929. Obviously, so do you.
Marshall
You wouldn't believe how many people told me they like that frog green color, the wheels he had on were all yellow.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
Marshall V. Daut

"You wouldn't believe how many people told me they like that frog green color, the wheels he had on were all yellow"

Ouch! Ow! Ow! My poor aching eyes! Well, people also bought new Edsels. Would you trust THEIR opinion about cars?

Let me guess: does it have a chartreuse crushed velvet interior to color-coordinate the frog green paint and yellow wheels? What!?! No white walls, runningboard step plates, cowl lights or radiator stone guard? How did the car run when you bought it? A good rule of thumb: The worse a Model A for sale runs, the more chromed goodies get thrown on it. I don't see any "extras" in your photo other than a Moto-Meter radiator cap, so the car must have run pretty good.
You are fortunate that the rear belt moulding is still in place. As "700rpm" advises, do NOT remove it to repaint the car! You will damage it during removal and once these things are distorted, you'll never get it straightened out properly. Just mask it off during the prep and paint stages. Please post photos of the finished paint job to inspire others.
M.