Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
wexford

Default Re: United Pacific Woodgrained Repro Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-UK View Post
These two were hydro dipped here in England.
two very nice dashes they look great
wexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #22
Bondolero

Can anyone point me at a hydro dip facility on the west coast to have my dash done ?
I also would like know an avg cost. As stated earlier, I am not spending $800 + to do my dash but would like to keep my original if possible.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #23
RB

Hey Bondolero did you get any response regarding the wood hydrographics ? I too inquired on the same thread, wanted to know if the garnish mouldings could be matched to the upi dash & at what cost, Thanks Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #24
32phil

I had the garnish mouldings and dash done on my 32 Deluxe Tudor. Shipped them to Bill Witkowski in Pennsylvania. You can find his ad in the AACA magazine. Picked them up at Hershey 2018. Stunning to say the least.
$1000 cash for all 8 pieces, I did nothing ...no cleaning..... sandbasting or body work etc. nothing... put em in a box and shipped them to Bill.
You can see a picture on my Instagram 1932phil
Another option, who shall remain nameless, wanted me to sandblast them, do all necessary bodywork.... fill holes etc..... and spray them with DP90.
All for the Princely sum of $1800 plus shipping....
Nuff said.....

Last edited by 32phil; 01-21-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add info
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #25
RB

Does anyone have knowledge as to what 32 body types used a wood grain on interior garnish mouldings &/or dash panels,& were all body types the burl wood pattern or some straight grain ? Examples would be helpful, I know the 3w & the various open body types were grained, uncertain on other closed body types. Thanks Ron
Old 03-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #26
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Only the deluxe passenger car models were equipped with wood-grained dash panels and garnish mouldings. The standard models, including your sport coupe, were originally equipped with "interior gray" (more brown than gray) painted panels.

The grain pattern used was changed during the model year. Early deluxe phaetons and roadsters dashes were straight grain. Mid-year and later deluxe versions of those two body types' dashes were burl grain.

Early deluxe Fordor and Tudor sedan, cabriolet, convertible sedan, and Victoria dashes had a burl grain upper section (surrounding the attachment points) and a straight grain lower section. Mid-year and later dashes in those five deluxe body types were all burl grain. The garnish mouldings had straight grain throughout the model year.

The deluxe coupe wood grain was unique. Initially, the dash and glove box door were all burl grain. That was subsequently changed so that while the glove box door, the counterpart raised panel on the other side of the dash, the raised panel surrounding the instrument panel, and the upper section were still done in burl grain, the background area surrounding the raised panel around the opening for the instrument panel, the glove box, and its counterpart raised panel was done in straight grain. The raised portion of the lower horizontal section of the door garnish mouldings was done in burl grain and remainder in straight grain, as was the rear window moulding.

The photos below are of an early deluxe closed car dash and the later closed car dash from very low mileage cars with their original wood graining pretty well intact. Also shown is the original base color from the back side of the dash in the second photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 058.jpg (53.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2024-1.jpg (32.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2026-1.jpg (40.6 KB, 37 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #27
wexford

Here are is a copy of a original 1932 ford woodgraining photo that my dad had,also 3 1932 ford dash boards that my dad woodgrained one is in straight grain, the other one is in burl grain , and the last one is in burl grain on the top, straight grain on the bottom, if any one has any questions about the picture, or the three woodgrained dash boards, private message me and i will get you in contact with my dad, he would love to talk to you about the woodgraining thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small1.jpg (187.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg small2.jpg (190.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg small3.jpg (191.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg small4.jpg (102.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondolero View Post
Can anyone point me at a hydro dip facility on the west coast to have my dash done ?
I also would like know an avg cost. As stated earlier, I am not spending $800 + to do my dash but would like to keep my original if possible.
I think you may need to be a little flexible with your price if you can't fill the holes yourself or want more than the dash done.

Just my two cents.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #29
RB

Thanks David & Wexford, I knew the wood grain varied with respect to std. vs. deluxe & body type early & late, this gives me a clue however would like to see some good garnish examples as well. Ron
Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #30
wexford

Here are some 1932 ford garnish moldings that my dad woodgrained , the top and sides are straight grain and the bottoms are in burl thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small1.jpg (165.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg small2.jpg (204.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg small3.jpg (185.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg small4.jpg (182.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #31
Eagle43

There are a number of You Tube videos on how to do hydro dipping. It looks pretty easy to do and the materials are not very expensive.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #32
wexford

Here is another woodgrained 1932 ford garnish molding that my dad did in straight grain thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small1.jpg (199.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #33
Eagle43

I'm intrigued by this hydrographic film process and want to try it. So I just spent $12 USD on Ebay and bought a 19" x 80" roll of burl wood grain hydrographic film. Evidently you can make your own activator - they sell the formula for $1 or so. It'll take a month or two to come on the slow boat from China. I should have plenty to do the dash and garnish moldings on a sedan I'm just finishing. Should be a fun project and should look really sharp.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #34
RB

Great response guys, I've always said the fordbarn is real gift to all that use it thanks, & will continue to digest the great input & hope it will broaden others knowledge as well.