Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #61
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1938 tudor standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
Can you educate those of us who are unaware of the problems with the '38 hood latch?
The hood support was a ratchet type of device that when you lift it up latches. To lower it you first have to lift it a little to click the ratchet and then lower it. A lot of people did not understand how it worked and just reached up and attempted to close it. The hoods are fairly weak and will buckle along the side where the latch is attached if pulled on very hard. It is fairly rare to see one without at least a little bulge on the left side of the hood.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #62
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Try and recover the hood since its the original part ,a good body man and a few shrinks on the bulges and tap them down .weld a reinforcing on the kinked side pull it in with a tie down strap .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #63
compyello

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I don't think standards came with a clock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
A clock was available as an accessory for the 38 Standard.
You don't see them very often.
Well this one did not come with a clock, the clock came after. Either way I was excited to recieve it. Maybe it won't even go on the car, maybe it will go in the house somewhere
compyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #64
compyello

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Try and recover the hood since its the original part ,a good body man and a few shrinks on the bulges and tap them down .weld a reinforcing on the kinked side pull it in with a tie down strap .Ted
The original hood is not going anywhere but I am interested to see if this replacement is affordable. Not short of bodymen here with myself, my father, and my grandfather. I also have a friend is is an incredible metal finisher. Interesting storry about the hood having two bullet scrapes from when a Nebraska marshall was shooting out of the open windshield, the story was told to my grandfather from two different sources.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #65
compyello

Can anyone confirm if I have a 60 hp radiator? see post #45
Old 12-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #66
38 coupe

You have a 60 hp radiator. The top tank sticks out in front of the core farther on the 60 radiator than it does on the 85 radiator. You need an 85 hp radiator. The radiator you need interchanges with all 85 hp 37 and 38 passenger cars and 39 standard cars. This page has a couple pictures of a 37-38-39 standard 85 hp radiator: http://precisioncarrestoration.com/1937-ford-tudor/

The 60 radiator sits further back on the frame than the 85 radiator. If the 60 radiator is moved forward it may interfere with the hood, thus the hammer work to make things fit.

Nice car. I like 38 Fords, I have a coupe in need of restoration myself.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #67
mercman from oz

Love your 1938 Ford Standard Tudor Sedan. It is just a pity that this body style was not available in Australia. Your car is an early production model, as Ford added extra Chrome Trim to the Grille and sides on later models. I also notice the Accessory Headlight Rims to accommodate Sealed Beam Headlights.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #68
38 coupe

Regarding the trim: Ford produced standard cars with different trim levels during 1938. At the beginning of production the cars looked like the one in this thread. There was stainless trim in the center of the grill. The belt line was pin stripped and the windshield frame was painted. Pretty soon Ford realized their standard cars looked too plain and added the side trim and stainless windshield trim. At the same time Ford offered a kit to add all the side stainless to the earlier plainer cars. The kit did not include the windshield stainless.

At the Lake Tahoe Grand National there were three 38 standard cars side by side. One car had just the center grill trim, the next car had the side trim but painted windshield, and the third car had all the stainless. I wish I had gotten a picture of them together.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #69
compyello

Thank you mercman for the kind words, I am fond of it myself. I hope to return the headlights to the original style sometime.
Thank you 38 coupe. I didn't even notice the painted w/s frame until you mentioned it. Do I need a new radiator or can I just get this one recored? You mention the radiators sit in different locations, is that on the radiator or the frame? Do I need to drill new holes in the frame or is it in the radiator bottom mount?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #70
compyello

Thanks for the link as well 38 coupe
Old 12-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #71
mercman from oz

38 Coupe, you are in luck, as I took photos of the three 1938 Ford Standards that were on display at Lake Tahoe. You can compare the differences between these three. I hope these pictures help.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #72
compyello

Thanks mercman, what is with the fire extinguishers? Any guesses on why the first car only has one driving light?

Last edited by compyello; 12-24-2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added another question
Old 12-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #73
petehoovie

@complello - I think the pictures posted by mercman were taken at the EFV8 Clubs 50th Anniversary event at Lake Tahoe. The fire extinguishers were require there....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #74
mercman from oz

The Fire Extinguishers located in front of the left front wheel is standard requirements when displaying vehicles at any event hosted by The Early Ford V8 Club of America. It is a safety aspect, as well as a stipulation in the Insurance Cover for these Events.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #75
mercman from oz

These Photos were taken in 2013 at Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately, the three 1938 Ford Standard models were separated by a 1938 Ford Deluxe. However, it is a good comparison shot showing the differences between these two models.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #76
petehoovie

The '38 Standard is stunning as compared to the '38 Deluxe. I think Ford had it bass-ackwards for the 1938 model year. They got it right in 1939....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:00 AM   #77
mercman from oz

This picture is from the Forum comparing the 1938 Ford Deluxe with the 1939 Ford Standard. All very interesting. for more information, check it out at:- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185153
Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #78
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by compyello View Post
Do I need a new radiator or can I just get this one recored? You mention the radiators sit in different locations, is that on the radiator or the frame? Do I need to drill new holes in the frame or is it in the radiator bottom mount?
You need a different radiator. The radiator sits further forward in the frame on the 85 hp setup. My memory is the 60 hp frames had the 85 hp radiator location and an add on bracket for the 60 hp radiator. You really need the 38-39 book for details like this. My book is packed in a box some where since I just moved so I can't look for you. Your radiator probably is already sitting in the 85 hp location. That is why the top tank sits too far forward right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
38 Coupe, you are in luck, as I took photos of the three 1938 Ford Standards that were on display at Lake Tahoe. You can compare the differences between these three. I hope these pictures help.
Thank you very much, I have saved copies of your pictures.