Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
oldskool

Default later intake on 59ab

I have a later 49/53 edelbrock 4 bbl manifold w/carter wcfb carb would there be any issues using this on a 59ab engine? I see there is only 12 mounting holes,and breather and draft holes will need to be plugged , carb is a 52 olds im told
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002209.jpg (60.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IM002210.jpg (54.8 KB, 44 views)
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: later intake on 59ab

The reduced nummber of mounting bolts is not a problem Just think how many 8BA type engines through the years have gotten by with only 12 bolts, including some Canadian engines with aluminum manifolds. You will probably want to use an early fuel pump stand to allow the crankcase ventilation system to work properly. That brings attendant fuel pump clearance issues as well as push-rod problems. I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in. If you have not had the oil fill tube out of the manifold, that can be another problem. I bought a "Sharp" 4-BBL manifold with the oil fill tube firmly in place. I worked on and off on it for a couple of months (penetrant, heat etc.) and finally had to literally cut it out to remove it. It was really stuck in there.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

oldskool,
No problem on the intake, this is my favorite induction on a flathead. I like to
keep the carb with the fuel inlet towards the rear for a clean pump to carb hook
up. I keep the fill tube and plug the road draft tube opening and most definetly use the early pump stand so the motor can breathe. I fab a spacer to raise the pump up to clear the intake runner then shorten the f/p push rod accordingly. I always include
a spare custom length push rod for my customer.
There is one issue that will take some hot rod engineering...the throttle hook up
between the fire wall arm and the carb clashes with the center water outlet on the
59A type head. It is NOT a show stopper but I can tell you that with a Rochester
4 brl I have had to make throttle arms to clear. No big deal but just an FYI.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
oldskool,
No problem on the intake, this is my favorite induction on a flathead. I like to
keep the carb with the fuel inlet towards the rear for a clean pump to carb hook
up. I keep the fill tube and plug the road draft tube opening and most definetly use the early pump stand so the motor can breathe. I fab a spacer to raise the pump up to clear the intake runner then shorten the f/p push rod accordingly. I always include
a spare custom length push rod for my customer.
There is one issue that will take some hot rod engineering...the throttle hook up
between the fire wall arm and the carb clashes with the center water outlet on the
59A type head. It is NOT a show stopper but I can tell you that with a Rochester
4 brl I have had to make throttle arms to clear. No big deal but just an FYI.
Charlie ny

charley you the man,i think the carb is mounted backwards so you can use org throttle hookup,i did some measuring and looks like generator will clear also I would be interested in the fuel pump spacer and push rod,the carb was rebuilt according to the previous owner but who knows I will have to try it,do you work on wcfb carters incase? thanks al
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Al,
Yes I can build the Carter.....
Charlie
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Automotive Stud

I have an 8ba intake on my 59a motor, I just plugged the hole for the road draft tube. I have the stock fuel pump pushrod and I left the front breather for easier oil filling. It's worked fine for about two years and two thousand miles so far.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

This would be a great time to install a PCV system! The "road draft" setups only work (somewhat at that) at road speeds. Putting around at low speeds will not pull any fresh air through the crankcase, resulting in oil dilution (and lots of sludge in the old days).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Automotive Stud

Personally I've heard too many horror stories about improperly set up pcv systems. I'll stick with modern oil and frequent changes.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Personally I've heard too many horror stories about improperly set up pcv systems. I'll stick with modern oil and frequent changes.
I'm curious. What kind of horror stories? I remember back around 1963-65 when PCV systems were mandated. They were about the single most effective step in reducing smog.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote