Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2005, 04:55 AM   #1

Default STEERING TOO SENSITIVE

I have GMC Power Steering in my 40 Ford Coupe, powered with a 350sb chevy.

Recent 4-point alignment to eliminate "wander" problem. Car now tracks fine.

PROBLEM: Steering is too sensitive (too light or too "quick&quotto the point that I must drive with fingertips to avoid sudden lane changes.

QUESTION: Is there an adjustment/valve on the power steering pump that would rectify this problem?

SUGGESTIONS ??? please send email reply to me at [email protected]

Old 03-30-2005, 06:49 AM   #2

Default Re: STEERING TOO SENSITIVE

Try John McLaren, I believe he designed the quadrasteer system for Chevy.

Phone/Fax:

231-238-9080

New Wire Wheels and Rims for your Model T

John McLaren, being an old car enthusiast and owning a Model T since the age of 16, searched for many years for a good set of wire wheels for an original 1913 Ames Racer (pictured left). Upon locating an original set of universal wire wheels, he was intrigued with the design. The universals did not need a special wheel center for mounting. The wheels that he manufacturers today are a redesign of those original universal wire wheels. due to a hgh standard of quality, this has led McLaren Manufacturing to start production of their own rims and accessories. All materials are manufactured in the U.S.A. and assembled in the State of Michigan. Over 100 sets of these wheels are on the road today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEELS

McLaren Wire Wheels replace wooden spokes from the old Model T wheel. Wheels are interchangable front or rear. New Wire Wheel mounts onto Model T Wheel Hub Center, no special wheel center is needed. R I M S

McLaren Rims are made to Ford’s specifications for wood felloes, these are the only rims Ford will use in the 21st Century!

Over 100 sets all ready on the road!

McLaren Manufacturing, Inc.

3581 Greenmans Point Road

Cheboygan, MI 49721-9744 Phone/Fax: 231-238-9080

Email: [email protected]

Contact John McLaren to order

Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #3

If you are using a SBC power steering pump with a MII power rack, there are some valves you can get to reduce the pressure from the hard pumping SBC power steering pump to the low-pressure required MII power rack. Most of the Rod Shops carry these.

Now, that having been said...

If you want the poor mans remedy, pull out the fitting on the back of the pump that has the spring and pressure valve. Cut one full coil off of the spring, and washer out the valve from the PS pump body until the sensitivity is more "normal" to you. This is essentially what the aftermarket valve will do....though not perfect, it's cheap.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #4

The trouble with fitting PS to a manual steer system is the gearing, the ideal ratio is 15-1 or less. You have 18-1.

I think unless you can make some major pressure reduction adjustments, steering will always become uncomfortably lighter the faster you go.

The info on pump adjustment is excellent & very interesting, I hope it works out! If not, try disconnecting it & put some decent pressure in your tyres.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #5

Another thing that will help this is a hydraulic steering damper,although it's hard to mount one on one of these cars.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #6

There is a shim kit out there that allows you to shim the valve to lower the pressures. someone by the name of Bills Hot Rods in Calif. sells them so i have been told. i need to look for him and do the same thing.