Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Interesting Synchro. My wife's Tudor with standard rear eng mount cleared the B carb by 3/16 inch, allowing the 24 gauge rolled airbox spigot to fit closely on the inlet stub with about 1/8 inch clearance to the 2 tooth steering tube. But my 1930 Roadster with 2 tooth box fitted and new FAM rubbers would not clear. I packed the RH bottom FAM rubber up by 5 mm twisting the motor slightly in the chassis I think from memory. It has rubber front mounts too and I think I packed the front RH one up too. I have worked on so many other cars for the club I cannot remember. Anyway this gave about 1/8 clearance to the steering tube. I suspect every car us slightly different which is why you could not fit a B carb to yours Arnold without the mods you did.
Since I manufacture fibreglass resins I suppose I should make some f glass ones as you suggest for the club. The steel intakes take me several hours to make and fit.
SAJ in NZ
It's a fiddley, time consuming job to make an air box the way I do so if I were to make a number of them, I think I'd look into making a mold. That way, I'd only be doing "the fiddle" once.
BTW, the air box I made for the B carb was the same as one I made for the Zenith but with a sleeve over the open end to adapt it to the larger intake of the B carb.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #22
Joop

I hope he is running a Simmons carburetor with the Swan manifold.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #23
Ford Acar

The one that came with my 1928 Phaeton uses a slightly different approach again.
It uses a Borg Warner filter #BW4266E.
I am told that the Zenith has been air balanced to suit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2366.jpg (97.4 KB, 126 views)
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

The Simmons Swan manifold provides for equalized distribution and improves operation in general !!! See this setup on page 79 in Those wonderful UNAUTHORIZED accessories for the model A Ford book .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #25
DHZIEMAN

My first attempt was to purchase and filter unit off the web! The installation was simple as the one bolt to tighten, which made me nervous on my pot metal zenith that I would crack it in some way, I settled on a tightness I thought would do the job! About a day later, the filter was not there anymore. It fell off. So, I decided to improvise using some 2 inch (I think) vinyl supercharger pipe, some hard metal elbows, and some hose clamps and a bracket to hold the filter housing in place and all is well. It just looks like I did it! Not neat but functional.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #26
Flyboy1st

Any pictures would be helpful. Has anyone calculated the volume needed for the air cleaner to match the engine max air flow needs?
Flyboy1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #27
stevemclark

From Mikes a metal filter that won't burn.https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A9600T.html. .On a 1930 coupe plus oil filter kit.
stevemclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #28
Dennisfly

I have what appears to be the High Boy as pictured from Red Quail. It has no identifying marks or numbers. I bought the car from an estate, so no previous owner to ask.
It appears to be metal mesh and maybe gauze. Is this as effective as a K&N? I've read the discussions and I want effective filtration but not paper that may be too restrictive. Is the K&N gauze or foam and should it be oiled?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getPart.jpg (31.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #29
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
My first attempt was to purchase and filter unit off the web! The installation was simple as the one bolt to tighten, which made me nervous on my pot metal zenith that I would crack it in some way, I settled on a tightness I thought would do the job! About a day later, the filter was not there anymore. It fell off. So, I decided to improvise using some 2 inch (I think) vinyl supercharger pipe, some hard metal elbows, and some hose clamps and a bracket to hold the filter housing in place and all is well. It just looks like I did it! Not neat but functional.
Pot metal Zenith?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #30
Bob C

Probably a Tillotson F1B.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1B.jpg (40.9 KB, 8 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #31
Purdy Swoft

Besides their cast iron version , Simmons also produced the Simmons alloy that resembled the Zenith carb
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote