Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Classiccanuck

Default Reproduction 1928 Front Fenders

I finally have my 1928 Phaeton at the body shop, doing a pre-assemble to avoid issues after parts are painted, I bought reproduction front fenders, no pre drilled holes, how do I determine where the outer part of the fender attaches to the fender brace? Can someone give me a measurement? the fender braces look a bit off so I can't use for as a reference. Any other tips in assembly (door, hood alignment, number of shims, anything) would be appreciated.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Reproduction 1928 Front Fenders

Your avatar shows fenders. Is this a different car?

You can check your fender braces with a good headlamp bar for spacing to see if they are out of place. I'm not sure when the early fenders were changed to the late type but I know it was early in production. If your new ones match old ones and the old ones fit then the new ones can be made to fit. If you have no other fenders then I would suggest clamping them to mock them up before drilling anything and both will have to be fit at the same time along with aprons and running boards. This will lessen the possibility of having to weld up and re-drill mounting holes to get a better fit.

I assume that you have checked your frame for plumb. Measurements from other vehicles likely won't work unless everything is at least as straight as it came from the factory.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Classiccanuck

Default Re: Reproduction 1928 Front Fenders

the fenders in the avatar were beat up pretty bad and bought reproductions, knowing what I know now I would have repaired what I had or the very least kept the old parts as a comparison till the car was painted. Now that I started assembly I have found most of the reproduction stuff is "fair" at best, my strength is on the mechanical side, I have very little body work, welding....etc knowledge or experience. Looking for advise.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote