Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Safari bob

Default Slant Window window regulator springs

I was having difficulty primarily raising and to a lesser degree lowering the drivers window on my slant window sedan. The channels seem OK as I had replaced them some years earlier. After removing the regulator, the larger of the two springs was broken. I was able to find a replacement but still did not work that much better. We think we did't wind it fully when we installed it and will rewind. Do you have a picture of the large one fully wound and showing the smaller of the springs as well?

Tried the passenger door for comparison. It was really tough rolling down and easier going up. Removed the regulator. The channels on this door were very old and will be replaced. But we noticed a difference between the smaller of the springs on each regulator. The small spring on the passenger side was 1/4" in height. The small spring on the driver's side was 3/8" which is also the height of larger spring on each regulator.

Can someone please help me with the correct height for the smaller spring? Am I correct that the large spring helps the window go up and the smaller spring is helping to lower the window?

We are hoping the spring size has something to do with the difficulty raising and lowering. Any tricks you have learned would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob
Safari bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Slant Window window regulator springs

here you go. the smaller spring assist on rolling the window down, the big spring assist on rolling the window up. the small spring is .259 so you are correct on 1/4" and the big spring is .373, here is a couple pictures of originals and a window reg. I rebuild a lot of these window regulators and NO one that I have been able to find sell the correct springs. some of the 32 springs are close and they will work.

PS, I always have these two springs with me at swap meets as a sample to aid in finding the correct springs. and I buy everyone I find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0951.jpg (133.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1010364.jpg (44.4 KB, 31 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Safari bob

Default Re: Slant Window window regulator springs

Thanks JW. We will make a change today as I have a extra correct smaller spring. I tried to find a large one and it took a while. I know that they are difficult to find and I will so the same as you the next time I am at a swap meet. Thanks again for confirming the up and down with the springs.

Bob
Safari bob is offline   Reply With Quote