Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
dan

Default Moving to Kansas

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a bit of good news: I'm moving to Kansas.

Some of you might think it's odd that moving from California to Kansas is "good news" (and others might reflexively agree that it is), and some are probably wondering: what the heck does this have to do with Model A's and this forum?

Well, the story starts about four and a half years ago when I was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident and spent a month in the hospital--at a time when my oldest daughter was four and my wife was eight months pregnant. At that point, I decided that riding a bike in Bay Area traffic wasn't a good choice for a family man and sold my motorcycle. I've always been a bit of a car nut, so I thought that I'd buy something interesting for my daily transportation. With the assistance of members on this forum (Hi Pat, Jack, Tom, and all!) I decided to buy a '31 coupe.

The coupe has been my--almost--daily driver for the last three years. Four days a week I've commuted on surface streets the 17 mile round trip to and from work, right through the heart of Silicon Valley. As I worked on the car on weekends, drove it running errands, and generally talked about it all the time, my wife thought that it might be a good idea to channel my enthusiasm into something more than a hobby. As an aside, never underestimate the value of a good wife

She did a lot of research and found a college (in Kansas: McPherson College) that offers a degree in auto restoration. It seemed like a really neat opportunity, but I wasn't sure that we could make it work out. Eventually, with the cooperation of my employer (who will let me do my computer-related writing job from home) and the real estate market, we've decided to move to Kansas where I'll enroll part-time in McPherson's restoration program. We move at the end of this month to our new house in Kansas.

I'll still be reading the forum and occasionally chiming in when I have something to say, but before things get crazy (with moving, settling in, working, going to school) I wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to those of you who have offered encouragement, advice, and sympathy as I've worked on various issues on my A--especially as it's lead to the opportunity of a lifetime and a chance to pursue a dream.

Thank you all.

Dan
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: Moving to Kansas

It is far too rare that anyone gets the opportunity to turn an avocation into a vocation. Congrats, and enjoy! At some point you'll be sharing the knowledge gained with the rest of us.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Ron Lowe

I've read nothing but great things about that college. Good luck and welcome to Kansas. I live in the south-east corner, Pittsburg. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
She did a lot of research and found a college (in Kansas: McPherson College) that offers a degree in auto restoration. It seemed like a really neat opportunity, but I wasn't sure that we could make it work out. Eventually, with the cooperation of my employer (who will let me do my computer-related writing job from home) and the real estate market, we've decided to move to Kansas where I'll enroll part-time in McPherson's restoration program.
Sounds great!! Give us the inside story on the college as you go.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
ronn

You're getting to live the dream-enjoy the ride!

Most folks only wish and never get to "do".

I'm real happy for ya.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
spike

good luck Dan. You got to do what you got ta do. I always said if you dont love your job find a new one you can enjoy and live happy. We will be pulling for you and pass on some of that neat stuff.....lol
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
QGolden

WOW! good on ya' mate. You will probably add a few years onto your life as well getting out of CA. Good luck to you and the family.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
zzlegend

Good for you Dan. Nice college, an understanding wife, and the best part,,,,,,,getting out of California. Although it is a good place to ride my motorcycles. This state aint what it use to be. Good luck to you.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
waynerod

Good for you... I've restored 3 cars in my life so far...., it's in the blood like most on this forum.. does the college set grad's with job leads, not that you need it... get a home with a sub basement / sub cellar... I have family in Kansas....

awesome...
waynerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
waltere

You will enjoy Kansas. There is a large population of A's in the area including a very active Model A club in Wichita. Early V'8s are also popular. Just outside McPherson is one of the best machine shops in the U.S. Good luck on the move.
Walter
waltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Ross/Kzoo

I was just visiting with a friend at the VA hospital on Monday and he told me that his son was just starting at Mc Pherson this month. Kokmeyer is the last name.

Best wishes on an exciting adventure.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
montanafordman

That's exciting! I envy you! I find myself wishing I could have made it into a car restoration business since I have always loved classic cars and working on them. The TV show "Chasing Classic Cars" does a good segment on McPherson College and Wayne spends time there interviewing several students and hires someone to help out at his F40 motorsports business.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
ctvpa

They have a great program. I made a donation to their scholarship fund, so I get their updates.

Do you guys know they have weekend, 1 week and 2 week programs in all sorts of things for us part-timers. Check out their site www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/institute.php

They have courses in babbiting, paint, sheet metal work, transmissions and drive train. And many others

Good luck, live life !
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Kansas ! ? ! ? !?? Why would anybody move to Kansas?

OK, Now I understand. Good Luck with your studies ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

awesome plan! FYI look into the college and what the state/college defines instate and out of state. alot of colleges require you to be living in the state for more than a year before enrolling to get in state tuition costs. otherwise your paying 4X as much in the same tuition
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
John Stone

Hey Dan,
Welcome to Kansas, almost. Our son went to the auto restoration school. The Wichita Club is your nearest and have had members that live in McPherson, just not right now. We do sponsor a swap meet in Feb that you will want to attend.

Any information you want, send me a PM.

Kansas is a great place to drive Model A's. A lot of paved county roads and secondary highways, you don't have to worry about those high hills and trees to block the scenery and there is a lot of fresh air.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
glenn in camino

If you see Miss Kitty at the Long Branch, say hi from Glenn
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
rhoover30

Hi Dan, you don't know me, but I know there is a very active Model A club in Wichita, not too far from McPherson. PS I'm from Abilene, my Dad went to McPherson College, I live in Fl now. Still visit friends & family in Ks. Good luck. It's a great place raise kids. Roger Hoover
rhoover30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Jon-Ohio

There used to be an antique car junk yard called Easy Jack Antique Auto parts in Junction City Kansas just off of I-70. I bought several original 'A' parts off of them back when I was restoring my 'A'. Not sure if it's in business any more but they had a lot of junk antique cars and parts back then - used to advertise in The Restorer and MARC News.

Kansas is a beautiful state - the great plains are beautiful in their own right. As a former storm chaser I saw most of my tornadoes in south central Kansas in the Wichita/ Medicine Lodge / Mulvane area's.
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
springerpete

Send us a picture of your '31 on the Yellow Brick Road.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote