Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Dan Ewing

Default Need guidance on top irons for 30-31 Roadster

Can anyone provide me with a bit of guidance on whether or not there are multiple manufacturers of the 30-31 top irons for the delux roadster.

I see prices range by over $100 among the parts suppliers and wonder if this is indicative of quality differences among these top irons.

They all have similar descriptions - polished stainless and tan painted and that's about the extent of the description.

For the price requested, I am hoping that these are reasonably good quality reproductions.

Thanks for your help.
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Need guidance on top irons for 30-31 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ewing View Post
Can anyone provide me with a bit of guidance on whether or not there are multiple manufacturers of the 30-31 top irons for the delux roadster.

I see prices range by over $100 among the parts suppliers and wonder if this is indicative of quality differences among these top irons.

They all have similar descriptions - polished stainless and tan painted and that's about the extent of the description.

For the price requested, I am hoping that these are reasonably good quality reproductions.

Thanks for your help.
Hey Dan,
Yeah hear what your saying...an they ain't cheap eigher, whether they fit or not !
Too bad you're so far away, as I could show you up close what you want to know. PM me , I can send you pics.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
BrianBurkert

I just bought an entire upholstered top from Lebaron-Bonney. Very pleased with the quality and service from L-B. To get fine point show perfect, you probably have to get all original stuff, do it to your standards, or have a guru restore it for you. The L-B top is nice looking for the driver or casual show car. I don't think there is a cheap way to go about it. There was a complete original set of irons and bows for sale in the FordBarn Swap Meet within the past few days.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ewing View Post

Thanks for your help.
To answer your question specifically, Girtz used to make them and now it is Superior. On a scale of 1-10 they are about a 7 regarding fit & operation. Oak Bows in PA make the wood and they are nice, -but not totally accurate in shape. Therefore I guess it depends on just how nice they need to be for that money. And remember, the original irons were not stainless.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Roadster62

Brent, Are the bows from Oak Bows semi finished or just the raw bent stock? Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bob, they are raw. We actually sanded with steel wool to make them a little slicker. I forget what his suggested stain formula was, but it was two-parts of one color (like Light Oak) and one-part of one color (like Walnut) to make them look like original. Then urethane them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Roadster62

Thank Brent, so they come in the correct profile, not rectangle stock? Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Thank Brent, so they come in the correct profile, not rectangle stock? Bob
Ummm, not exactly. They are shaped but not totally correct. I think it is Marco that has the archives drawing on the correct shape (curvature) of the front bow.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Dan Ewing

Thanks fellas, for the update and response on the top irons.

Brent - had a chat with Walt (Bratton) and he noted that there is one supplier that provides them but did not mention any names. I assume it's Superior. At any rate, he noted that they are of reasonable quality and he's had no complaints about the match to originals albeit the stainless arms in lieu of the chrome plated steel. I was aware of the stainless when considering the reproduction but don't know about the rivet heads.

You can also order these in pimer if you wish to paint the Golden Beryl. Not sure how easy that would be.

Also had a chat some time ago with Marco and he noted that the restoration of the top irons (specifically rivet restoration) could definitely be a buggar. I want my roadster as authentic as reasonably practical so for me I must expect some limitations.

Nevertheless, my main concern is the fit and alignment - primarily with the header.

I got my wood from LB (out of ignorance, I guess), sanded and finished with two coats of urethane with sanding between coats. I believe the discussion on "original" color and tone could be lengthy as wood tends to darken with exposure to UV and there might even be considerable differences among bows on top points roadsters. (my speculation/opinion). But, alas, I am satisified with my bows.

I bought the replacement top from LB and as Marco said, "its not the original but it's the best game in town at this time". And, by the way, I bought the top irons from Brattons.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Dan
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote