Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Tveditr

Default Passenger window on 30 5 window coupe

When I bought this car it had a cracked passenger window. Finally getting around to replacing it. Looks like a simple job if I could get the glass out of the channel it sits in on the bottom. The fabric and rubber material that holds it in has turned into a hard brittle material. It won’t let go of the glass. I put some dishwashing soap in the channel to soften it and lubricate but it still won’t let go. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.
Tveditr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
CHuDWah

Default Re: Passenger window on 30 5 window coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tveditr View Post
When I bought this car it had a cracked passenger window. Finally getting around to replacing it. Looks like a simple job if I could get the glass out of the channel it sits in on the bottom. The fabric and rubber material that holds it in has turned into a hard brittle material. It wonÂ’t let go of the glass. I put some dishwashing soap in the channel to soften it and lubricate but it still wonÂ’t let go. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

Douse it with silicone spray. I assume you're going to replace the rubber, so WD-40 or some such also may work. But since it's petroleum-based, it may destroy the rubber. Whatever you use, you may have to repeat applications and let it soak until the rubber softens enough to remove it.

Or you could just buy a new channel.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Tinbasher

Default Re: Passenger window on 30 5 window coupe

If you remove the interior moulding and the upper door plate you can lift the window up to the top with the regulator and slide the arm off of the lift channel. Then you can slide the assembly out the top of the door. Then take it apart. Soak the channel with lacquer thinners for a couple of hours and then glass should release from the glass pack. Sometimes you have to use a wood block on the channel and tap if off of the glass.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote