Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
39flyer

Default 39 Tudo rear window removal

I replacing the side glass on my 39 tudor and got the door glass out okay but before I start on the rear I just want to check and see if there is any tricks that I should know about. There was plenty of info here on the door, which made it pretty easy, but I've not seen any info on how to remove the rear window.
39flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
38Tudor

Default Re: 39 Tudo rear window removal

Cut the rubber starting at the glass out to the frame from outside the car.
That's how I do it.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
okiedokie

I think he is referring to the rear side glass. I am getting ready to remove them from my 40 also, so watching for replies.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
38Tudor

Sorry, I see now you were talking about the side rear window.
That I don't know.
I was too eager to help.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
39flyer

Sorry I should have used side window on the header. My questions are does the window come out through the window opening to the outside of the car or out the bottom side and I'm assuming the regulator must come out first from the bottom.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
john worden

If it's like a 40 it goes like this.
Crank the glass up to near the top. Find the small opening just below the top edge of the inner panel forward of center. Look into it while carefully raising or lowering the glass to spot a small stop screw in the glass channel. Remove the screw. Crank the glass up to top slowly watching in another body panel opening at dead center for the lift arm rollers to move and contact each other. Have a helper hold the glass up. Slowly crank the lift arms down as the rollers disengage from the channel. Carefully tilt the glass with attached channel inward and lift out of opening.
Installation is the reverse.
I will quarantee that the second one will be easier.
Luck. John
Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
39flyer

Thanks John, I'll follow your directions and let you know.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
39flyer

Well I finally installed my rear windows.I had other projects to get done first so didn’t get to this as soon as I would have liked.I also did a lot of searching on the how too of this and in the end it went fairly well mainly because of the advice of John Worden.His process on this post as well as below (12/5/2012) is what I followed and it worked fine for me.This was my first time installing windows.

I also ended up getting the windows done locally which I found out that a lot of glass companies are getting out of the auto glass business.After the fourth try I found a place in Appleton, WI, Tri City Glass who was more than happy to make them.I also had them install the tracks so the extra 40.00 was worth it.Next is the door glass which should go, hopefully as easy.

The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)
HELP..Quarter window regulater & glass install

john worden

Re: HELP..Quarter window regulater & glass install
The lift mechanism must be in perfect working order with the friction points lubricated. Bench test it before putting it in the car. Loosely mount the mechanism in the car. Crank the lift arms/rollers to the upmost position. This is where you introduce the rollers into the channels one at a time watching it through the hole just below the window sill. Start each roller while very slowly cranking the arms away from each other and down slightly. When both rollers are properly tracking in the channels continue cranking window down until you can observe through another small hole a few inches frontward of the first hole a threaded hole in the channel. Stop cranking now and screw in a screw that will prevent the roller from desengaging the channel. Once you are happy with the movement of the glass start tightening the mechanism mount screws. A helper standing outside the car holding the glass is a good idea. John